Winchester Marlin 30-30

Guest 308Panther

Never heard of a Win-Marlin before and was under the impression its one or the other...Not both

If its a Win 94...Hang on to it.

The Winchester plant closed up and they dont make the Ol' 94 lever action anymore.

If its a Marlin...it might actually be worth a bit more than half a new one...They were better made than the

Win...Smoother working lever and since its a side eject vs a top eject you can fit a scope relativley easy.

Top ejects take a special offset scope mount that may be a pain to find on your side.

The Marlin is a bit more accurate too if I remeber right.

I have a Win 94 in 30-30...Wont part with it either.

Way back when.....Santa didnt bring me a Red Ryder BB Gun,

He brought me a Winchester!!! :lol:

308Panther

Hi Panther,

You are obviously more familiar with these rifles then myself and i am sure that winston will be pleased with your evaluation, thanks for the info.

From a hunting point of view Marlin and Winchester lever actions have never really caught on here being almost purely an Americanism.

Having said that there are some who have embraced these rifles in heavy calibres such as 444 and 45-70 for close range woodland rifles just like in the States.

Ian.

Guest Smeagle

How are you mate. I have one of these rifles a Lever Action that is, mine is a Marlin 1894 in 44 Rem Mag, they are extremely popular both here and in the States. They are considered the consummate pigging rifles fast handling and easy to use, accurate to 100 m with real knock down power. Nearly everyone out here has at least on in the cabinet.

The rifle you are describing sounds like a Marlin 336 in 30/30, this is a very popular rifle. The 30/30 gets its name from .30 cal with 30 grns of powder, so it is slow and hard. Have a look at it and if it has a side eject and a pistol stock it is a 336, if it has a top eject and a saddle ring with a straight stock it is a Winchester. If it has a side eject and straight stock it is a Marlin 1894 copy of a Winchester 1894, which is what I am thinking it may be. These are worth slightly more than the 336.

The bad news is that they are not worth that much dependant upon condition a good one can generally be picked up for a couple of hundred quid, poor ones about half of that. Winchesters are worth sightly more but not much, even with the demise of Winchester there are still plenty around however these are becoming rarer and are worth hanging onto, commemorative modals can fetch higher prices such as the John Wayne or Sitting Bull. These are readily identifiable from the scroll work and dressings. The Winchester has a certain branding value however the Marlin is considered the better rifle by far, it is better made, more reliable and infinitely more accurate.

If you can put up a picture I may be able to tell you what it is and give a better estimate of it's value, however UK prices are different to ours due to the rarity of them over there.

Guest 308Panther

Not all Win 94's came with a saddle ring....minor,I know...

Top eject...Winchester....Winchester made many variations..Trappers,Scouts..but are still Model 94's

Side eject...Marlin

The 336 was/is still considered a d+mned good rifle.

The pistol grip stock gave it a more modern and sleeker look.

The lever had a shorter throw too(vs the Win 94)...If I remember right.

Win 94's even new in box had a dated look w/the straight stock, the finish on the stocks wasnt as glossy as the Marlin's.

Win'

l keep tellin' you matey, Keep the 30/30 sell the bldy Bl%$£!...... Oh it's no good l still can't bring myself to say that name..

Ratwhiskers.

I'll second that Win. Don't you dare sell it. I want a play. We'll get a set of dies found and then yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

Z

Fella,s, i work on marlins most weeks, and believe me, they make friday afternoon guns every day of the week. The quality control, is completely non existant, and we have to work on almost every gun, to get it to work AT ALL! We fit a better trigger, and fully tune, probarbly 90% of the marlins we sell, though the round bolt guns, which are usually the big calibres, are marginally better.Having said that, i have a marlin 1895 24" cowboy, in 44rem mag, and i love it.Once sorted, they are a lovely gun , and dont have the sloppiness, a winchester has, but the the winchesters have always been fitted with much better woodwork, wood to metal fit, has always been better, and, the blueing is far superior too. Tell you what though, try and buy spares for one.......When the factory shut, the americans bought up , and stockpiled what spares they were, and theres nowt coming here.

Funnily enough, we have had several guns that would not open, full stop, and even funnier, they had been to the proof house........ :lol:

Archived