LED lamp for foxing

Hi,

I'm looking at moving on my 140 lightforce for something more compact and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of these:

Fenix TA20

Niteye TF25 CREE-XM-L U2 LED

Nitecore MT40 LED Torch

OR if you had any recommendations... you can see the price bracket I'm working in so please no £200 lamps to tease me...

cheers

pcon

I'm looking for an upgrade to my lightorce too and have been looking at the Nightmaster 800. As a stop gap I've been using a LED Lenser P4 (you can buy the scope mount off eBay) this has proved quite effective but it's white light only unless you get a set of filters, I'm not sure how effective these are though.

Nm 800 is a realy good piece of kit lads. I got the red, green, high voltage white and IR led's . I used the torch with the extension tube to take the extra battery and the HV white and it flooded an old abandoned house on my land 530 yard away. By focusing the lens you can really concentrate the light far out.

A mates just got the NM800 dereelight.

We compared NM800 red LED, with a red filter on a lightforce 170 ,same brightness could not tell them apart.

NM800 dereelight has a tighter beam and is a lot more compact.I will get one when funds allow.

Got a sniper system torch, its the dog broccoli. fits to scope in 10 seconds, can be used as a hand held lamp or you can screw button off back and screw a touch sensitive button on that sticks to side of rifle, red and amber fiters bout 5/6 inches long. Furthest fox to date with it 256 yards and i could see it like it was day light through my nightforce. Rechargeable battery can be charged back up at any time last for 8 hours, made in england with a life time guarantee ;)

Ronny, from what I've read there are different power levels. Some of the switches which fit to the stock have " + & - " buttons which allow them to change lighting levels.

I'd love the likes of the sniper systems torch ... but at £250 + VAT + delivery it's out of my budget...

so anything within the £100 to £130 price range??

Yes at that price they are alot of money, but ive had all the lamps over the years and il never buy another. You dont even no the torch is on your scope, its so light and small. If you do need to dim it down for crafty fox's just flick the orange or red filter on. If you see him at the gamefair or give him a call im sure you would get a better deal he's a nice chap who does alot of hunting himself lives about 45 mins away from me i had a few off him for nearly half that price ;):D

I was out last night and i use my NM mostly with the IR led for illumination for gen3 NV, but i stuck on the green led and it is crystal clear to the trees i was looking at at 300 yards away. I used the high voltage white LED and i lit up the abandoned house on the land at near 900 yards away !!!!

The IR and white led's can be dimmed with power setting but the colours cant, they are the same voltage all the time.

Im thinking of doing away with the IR laser that came with the archer and buying a second NM800ir for use with the archer when using it as a spotter, Much better clearer light from the nm800ir .

At the mo ive got a torch host and waiting for a LED IR from china, i have one the same but lower power, its great at close distance, great spread of light but lacks the distance needed so ill see how the new powerful IR led replacement works out and if its crap, ill get onto tony for another NM800ir torch.

I have a deben tri star pro (LED) with red filter running a £20 Chinese eBay lithium battery in a AIM stock/cheek bag (used it as a camp light once for over 6hrs)

no cables tying me to the rifle, its fully dimmable, red to white with the flip of a filter, white beam is very tight and will go further than I am willing to shoot for foxes/rabbits (never measured it but easily 250yds. red filtered beam is same shape but obviously not as bright, probably good for 200yds.

it snaps onto the scope and is easily swivelled round to fit into the sleeve.

there are smaller units out there but the fully dimmable fore stock mounted switch is a must for me and I have yet to find a torch model which offers this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a NM800 white and IR led's and compared to my 140 lamp on white light not much in it (normal led 1 battery) but the 140 lights up half the field and the NM is a bit bigger than area scope so not scaring of fox or rabbits mates but enough to keep track if they move. I've used the IR one with an old gen 1 hand held and home made scope mounted NV and get good results. If you DIY minded you could try this http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/211717-modified-led-lamping-torches/

might be what you want.

Archived