6.5x55 powder and primers

dannywayoflife

Guys I am a virgin to reloading and need some advice. I am slowly building up all the components to start loading my own.

I have a 6.5x55 Tikka T3 varmint which will be solely used for targets. I have hundreds of once fired privi brass and I have sourced some 123g Amax's and will be using bullets in the 123-140 grain range. The barrel is 24" and I think it's a 1in8 twist. Can anyone recomend me any powders and primers? I've heard N160/65 might be worth a try and been reading on US forus that the go to powder is RL22.

Thanks guys

Danny

Yes, N160, N165 and Re22 all work fine with the cartridge, although 165 and Re22 are best suited to the heavier bullets in the 139-142gn bracket. If you really want to push the velocity with 140s give N165 a try. Bullets in the 120gn weight category can be used with slightly faster burning powders in the 4350 class. N150 works but is just a little fast burning.

As a general use it with everything powder, I'd recommend N160. It's an easy cartridge to load for, the only downside being a tendency to produce very sooty brass in some rifles, and often on an inconsistent basis - case obturates fine and everything stays clean on one occasion, doesn't next time out. Many manuals still show maximum loads that produce around a low 45,000 psi to suit 19th century military Mausers, so be careful of quoted loads - you can get the light ones where its safe to go up a couple of grains in the charge, and you also get loads quoted by some that are for modern rifles and wil produce pressures a lot closer to 60,000 psi which you definitely don't waqnt to exceed. In a modern rifle with good quality brass, the cartridge is no different to any similar number and will produce and take the same pressures.

For paper punching, you might find the heavier bullets work best as factory rifles are usually throated long for full length cartridges loaded with bullets right up to the 156gn mark. While the smaller 6.5s are often best suited to 120-130gn bullets, the old 55 has a large enough case to produce good velocities and results with the 140s, although as always, your rifle will tell what its barrel likes soon enough.

My new love in 6,5x55 is IMR 7828SSC. Three rifles so far have shown their best accuracy using this powder. One, a featherweight Winchester, has always been a minute and a half gun until I tried this powder. Now it's at or just under 3/4MOA. Lit each charge with Federal primers.~Andrew

Thanks Laurie I was hoping you would reply. What spark plugs would you recomend?

With the 140's I was looking at the 140 Amax and the 140 smk and 142 smk's. what sort of speed roughly could I expect with these and say N160 / N165?

I have been using vit n160 in my 6.5x55 for a long time with good results.

Its funny laurie mentioned the sooty cases because I only seen this recently in my rifle.

My loads are near max so I dont think its low pressure.

My mate is using a tikka varmint 6.5x55 and is getting great accuracy with reloader 22 and 139 lapua scenars.

Danny,

Ran N160 in my Swede under 120g bullets using Russian primers, its a very good design, think PO Ackley said it was not worth 'Ackly'ing'.

Try whatever primers you can get ho,d of as they will probably be in short supply :)

Terry

Ok I'll have a look around for primers and see what's available locally. Any kind of indication of velocity achievable with this cartridge? Obviously I know each barrel is different but just wondering what a rough figure might be?

I think I've made my mind up on either N160 or 165. Are the federal primers ok then?

Hi Danny,

looking at my results for some tests I ran 18 months ago in a 30-inch match Bartlein on a Savage 12 single-shot action, I actually got higher velocities with N160, but smaller groups with N165. (Memory said 165 had given higher MVs, which shows why you should never rely on memory!)

With 30 inches up front, I actually got 2,999 fps average for 5 rounds with my heaviest load of N160 and the 139gn Lapua Scenar - in 6.5-284 territory. While this didn't give really bad over-pressure signs like struggling to open the bolt, or enlarged primer pockets, it was a silly load really just looking to see what the cartridge might do.

Using Lapua brass and CCI-BR2 match primers I found loads a shade over 50gn of the slower N165 gave very good results with both 139 Scenar and 140gn Berger BT bullets. both 50.2gn and 50.5gn behind the 139 Scenar produced 5-round 0.35" 100 yd groups at 2,897 and 2,919 fps from the 30-incher. This was in a 'standard' 6.5X55mm chamber according to Stuart Anselm at Osprey Rifles who put the barrel on, no fancy small clearance neck, min-SAAMI dimensions or anything. 50.4gn and the 140 Berger BTLR ran at a quarter inch, no MVs available. Good ES figures with the Scenars too.

I worked up to 48.0gn with Viht N560 and the groups were very good, but loads needed increasing further as that only gave 2,742 fps with the 140 Berger BTLR. I took charges up to 50.5gn subsequently for 2,943 but groups opened up after 49.5gn.

Around 47.0gn N160 was about as much as the rifle and barrel liked with the Scenar, and groups were best around 45.5gn which was 2,828 fps from the long barrel. That compares with the 44gn I used for years in every make of brass going and every standard primer you can think of in a Mauser '96 long rifle with 140gn Sierras, a load that gave excellent groups for a military rifle with iron sights.

~45.0gn IMR-4831 gave excellent groups with the 130gn Norma Black Diamond moly match - a very high BC bullet, but one that wouldn't shoot for toffee in my .260 Rem with a Bartlein 5R barrel.

Initial 3-round batches of Re22 gave promising results between 46.6 and 48.0gn with the 140 Berger, no MVs available.

20 X Factory Norma 139gn Scenar Match rounds averaged 0.59" (4 x 5-rounds) and gave 2,596 fps ES 35, SD 13.5 - a lower MV than its claimed 800 M/S or 2,625 fps.

Factory Hornady 140gtn BTSP averaged 1.1" (4 x 5-round groups) and an even lower 2,487 fps ES 126 SD 38.4.

The factory ammo is loaded for old Mausers and 45,000 psi of course, but these are low MVs for a 30-inch barrel making you wonder what factory ammo users get from 22 or 24-inch barrel factory rifles.

The usual warnings apply to loads quoted - start 10% lower and work up. With 6 inches less barrel, I reckon you'll be down 150-200 fps on any MVs I quote, although it'll also depend a lot on how tight your barrel is and how it's been chambered.

Wow that's great Laurie! Thanks so much for taking the time to post that its very very much appreciated!

I susspect my loads with my 24" barrel will be some hat slower but i I can develop a load at 2800fps that's accurate with the 140 Amax ill be well happy!

Ok I'll have a look around for primers and see what's available locally. Any kind of indication of velocity achievable with this cartridge? Obviously I know each barrel is different but just wondering what a rough figure might be?

I know my mate is getting 2840 fps with the 139 scenars and reloader 22.

Accuracy is less than 1 inch at 300 yards from a tikka varmint 24 in barrel like yours.

I know my mate is getting 2840 fps with the 139 scenars and reloader 22.

Accuracy is less than 1 inch at 300 yards from a tikka varmint 24 in barrel like yours.

Wow that's amazing accuracy! I'm going to try and stick with the single base powders though as I don't want to burn the throat out.

You are right to worry about double based powders ,heavy loads will erode the throat .Sooty deposits around the fired case is a first sign of worn throat and obviously accuracy will be diminished .I use n150 in my Swedish mauser ,it's an old gun and whilst it's in immaculate condition I stick to loads that give me around 2650 fps ,it's very accurate at this velocity with 139 Scenars.I am just building a .260 rem and will be looking for higher velocities but very often the most accurate load is not the fastest.

Your right accuracy is THE most important factor and the main reason I'm starting reloading. But I would like a reasonable speed also so as to be able to reach right out there. ;) I think my aim of 2800fps with the 140 Amax is a feasible and hopefully fairly mild aim

Archived