A Born Again Springfield, .30-06 Resurrection

I would seriously love to learn that, issue is letting them go could be hell and I should end up a very poor but happy collector. Its hard to believe that is the same stock the grain has been highlighted so much though you can trace it in the before and after photos. It seems so much more respectful to stalk the highlands etc with such a gun, though heather scars on that stock might make me cry and as for blood getting on that metalwork....Sometimes I wonder were the practical side to a stalking gun should finish and the heart or soul of it should start. Nobody ever seems to comment adversely on that which we choose to use to shoot our most noble quarry yet turn up to shoot driven chickens with a cammo semi auto and all hell breaks looseI never really understood why someone might colour case harden scope rings, trigger guards etc. at it certainly quickly slips from class to chav once over done, you explained it perfectly.Thanks for the pictures

How about the classic M/S in 6.5 for the reds.

The issue with semi auto has always been 'perceivable safety'-fair enough (the otherwise nice Browning Double Auto still fails that criterion,and won't be allowed,understandably.Whether a Cosmi might be is doubtful,unless it was somehow mangled into a two shot,but even then I would not bet on it -"Thin edge of the wedge,old chap".)

At least we have some evidence that cammo jackets don't matter to driven chickens!!

Gbal

'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the classic M/S in 6.5 for the reds.

The issue with semi auto has always been 'perceivable safety'-fair enough (the otherwise nice Browning Double Auto still fails that criterion,and won't be allowed,understandably.Whether a Cosmi might be is doubtful,unless it was somehow mangled into a two shot,but even then I would not bet on it -"Thin edge of the wedge,old chap".)

At least we have some evidence that cammo jackets don't matter to driven chickens!!

Gbal

'

Its off thread but I dispute the safety issue, its allowed on clay shoots and more than a odd person has been told other reasons why no autos or pumps. In many regards the auto is the safest of guns for driven as you can fill from a far safer angle without the temptation to swing up the barrels at the beating line. But this is a digression, appologies

Its off thread but I dispute the safety issue, its allowed on clay shoots and more than a odd person has been told other reasons why no autos or pumps. In many regards the auto is the safest of guns for driven as you can fill from a far safer angle without the temptation to swing up the barrels at the beating line. But this is a digression, appologies

Yes,but note I said "perceived safety"-others can see a broken double is safe,they just cannot see an auto is safe.Whether any gun is safe is really much more about the shooter than the weapon,but there is no arguement about the ability to check safety at a glance-no broken barrel gun has ever gone off! I know the other reasons,that's why I mentioned eg the Browning-that has the same two sporting shots as a double,but is not allowable,and I understand why,and agree.Have you ever had a gun who did not-would not-break open his double?It is bloody uncomfortable,to put it mildly,even if he owns the shoot!Safety must be be done,and like justice,seen to be done.

gbal

Yes,but note I said "perceived safety"-others can see a broken double is safe,they just cannot see an auto is safe.Whether any gun is safe is really much more about the shooter than the weapon,but there is no arguement about the ability to check safety at a glance-no broken barrel gun has ever gone off! I know the other reasons,that's why I mentioned eg the Browning-that has the same two sporting shots as a double,but is not allowable,and I understand why,and agree.Have you ever had a gun who did not-would not-break open his double?It is bloody uncomfortable,to put it mildly,even if he owns the shoot!Safety must be be done,and like justice,seen to be done.

gbal

Guns must be closed before they are fired! seen two guns go off on the action of closing, I am convinced enough to have no prejudice. I once told a gun to watch his muzzles- and he looked directly down the wrong end of a loaded gun, we had a little chat afterwards

Love the rifle. I was thinking the other day " when I win the euro million" which rifles will I need. I was thinking I alway wanted a .303 British ww2 rifle of sme sort and I always wanted a deer rifle. If I had the money and the real need for such a gun this is what I was picturing. With the British twist of course.

Guns must be closed before they are fired! seen two guns go off on the action of closing, I am convinced enough to have no prejudice. I once told a gun to watch his muzzles- and he looked directly down the wrong end of a loaded gun, we had a little chat afterwards[/quote

Kent,

I mean walking about before the shoot starts,crossing fences,coming in for lunch-I don't mean just while at his shooting peg.Prejudice has nothing to do with it-etiquette might,but it's a safety issue-just as with autos on a game shoot-they cannot be seen to be safe.I have several,no prejudice but they have no place on a game /rough shoot for the visible safety reasons.No one has been shot by a broken open double-if it fires on closing it's got a fault-but it should not be closed until in a safe shooting position(at the peg) anyhow.

Gbal

Guns must be closed before they are fired! seen two guns go off on the action of closing, I am convinced enough to have no prejudice. I once told a gun to watch his muzzles- and he looked directly down the wrong end of a loaded gun, we had a little chat afterwards[/quote

Kent,

I mean walking about before the shoot starts,crossing fences,coming in for lunch-I don't mean just while at his shooting peg.Prejudice has nothing to do with it-etiquette might,but it's a safety issue-just as with autos on a game shoot-they cannot be seen to be safe.I have several,no prejudice but they have no place on a game /rough shoot for the visible safety reasons.No one has been shot by a broken open double-if it fires on closing it's got a fault-but it should not be closed until in a safe shooting position(at the peg) anyhow.

Gbal

I don't want to divert this great rifle thread

Archived