As requested by Wsm few pics through GUIDE 518C Thermal

Barrelsniffer

Doesn't sound right at all, in spring I was watching cubs and vixen at 400 yards before it got light enough to deal with.

Videoed them too, but not put on computer yet.

After gaining experience with TI you get to know what an animal is by heat given off it, even if the image isn't brilliant - sheep with fleece just show head and legs (due to insulation effect of the wool).

Doesn't sound right at all, in spring I was watching cubs and vixen at 400 yards before it got light enough to deal with.

Videoed them too, but not put on computer yet.

After gaining experience with TI you get to know what an animal is by heat given off it, even if the image isn't brilliant - sheep with fleece just show head and legs (due to insulation effect of the wool).

Correct there mate even in a field full of sheep you can make out the distinct shape and movements of fox quite easily.

Very impressed with Micks unit when out foxing, also during the day shooting long range rabbits on a bank. The rabbits were hard to spot due to bushes etc and it was hammering down. He pulled out the thermal and we cold clearly see which bushes they were sat behind, just a case of waiting for them to move. Great bit of kit. The fox Mick mentioned earlier in the thread was walking in pretty thick bull rushes, I couldn't see anything with the NV, apx 150 yards but through the thermal we could see the fox clear walking left to right. We just waiting for it to pop out the other end. Cool as.

Now since i put that post up i was told yesterday that Armstrong optical where i got mine from have put the price back up to 4800 due to other companies being unhappy ? if that's true or not i am not sure.

Have emailed them - will let you know. Thanks for info.

Now since i put that post up i was told yesterday that Armstrong optical where i got mine from have put the price back up to 4800 due to other companies being unhappy ? if that's true or not i am not sure.

If it is mate you had an even bigger bargain....

• 3 weeks later...

A few updated pics

IR000003_zpsb9f8804c.png

Horses 80yds

IR000006_zpsff3b1c82.png

Cottage at 150yds with something warm behind the window

IR000007_zps30a84305.png

Fox at 250yds.Easily recognisable when it moved

IR000009_zps046eebd6.png

Two rabbits at over 200yds

IR000013_zpsa0869e4b.png

Terrier at 15yds on 2x

IR000014_zpsce3cae6b.png

Same distance different terrier on red heat

Would be interesting to compare a few units side by side, from the pictures Micks looks more definition?

Ours is similar to WSM, definition seems better on some nights than others. These cold nights seem poor for definition, but suppose you would expect that.

Anyone know whether TI's work purely with electronic Jiggery pokery

Definition is certainly better on some nights.Although they'll always pick up heat signatures I don't think that the constant cold temperatures help as theres very little difference between fields/hedges etc.I've got a short vid of a fox at about 250 taken a week or two back when it was milder for a few days and its really clear

To be fair the above photos were all taken from the inside through an open window which probably isn't doing the unit any favours either :)

The thermal don't have tubes so there should be no difference between units

I may be barking up the wrong tree (sorry if I am) but I assume the units are using liquid crystals? In which case it sounds like they are being slowed/frozen when very cold at night, giving poor definition/function.

Archived