So many scopes

tealo

Hello folks, looking for a scope that will fit all my purposes and need so advise from some tuned up folk. Right what I'm after is a scope for long range varmints, good at dusk and dawn, good under lamp and in the near future good for a starlight archer.

So it needs plenty of mag, a nice fine reticle with a small illuminated dot, some posh glass and an adjustible parralax.

Well I don't want much I know but any advise would be gratefully excepted.

The swaro im selling works well with archer, i have another one the same which im keeping for that reason. Only selling that one to fund pm2 scope for my AI

The swaro im selling works well with archer, i have another one the same which im keeping for that reason. Only selling that one to fund pm2 scope for my AI
I think the Leupold mk4 i'm selling would be better more mag. Good with archer, illuminated ret. fine Mildot

;)

Well budget is anywhere up to £1500 but if I can find something closer to £1000 it would get me my archer a bit quicker. Like what nightforce says on the tin but don't know what the glass is like or whether they work well with an archer as I've never seen through one or even seen one. Got a S&B 3-10x56 on a .243 and an nice ior on an hmr but as for other looking devices I don't know.

Nightforce glass ok with archer but the power ring turns the whole eyepiece which means your pretty much stuck on 1 power unless you leave the archer loose and twist it round if you need to adjust power. Leopold and nf also have similar eyepieces which rotate and lock off to focus the ret, not ideal with the archer. Also avoid anything with illumination controls on eyepiece end or archer wont fit. Thats why my swaro is better than the new ones like the z6i range etc. you also need a reasonable ret to see through the archer, some are way too fine and you cant use illumination or you'll burn the tube. Hope that helps

I think the Leupold mk4 i'm selling would be better more mag. Good with archer, illuminated ret. fine Mildot

;)

i can't tell you how much i like the leupold mk4 they are great scopes,one i had to use with the ns200 though was not great with nv because the lens coatings were so good.worth looking into as i have no idea what it would be like with the archer.

sorry robthebob please don't shout :lol: just worth looking into

I won't shout to be honest I'm having second thoughts about selling it to be honest! Great scope, I'll probably get stoned for saying but I much prefer to the nightforce I had! More positive clicks, better glass :)

I won't shout to be honest I'm having second thoughts about selling it to be honest! Great scope, I'll probably get stoned for saying but I much prefer to the nightforce I had! More positive clicks, better glass :)

i have one myself i can see rabbits at dusk when the chap i shoot with has put his rifle away,very positive clicks and very good build quality and customer service.

Hello folks, looking for a scope that will fit all my purposes and need so advise from some tuned up folk. Right what I'm after is a scope for long range varmints, good at dusk and dawn, good under lamp and in the near future good for a starlight archer.

So it needs plenty of mag, a nice fine reticle with a small illuminated dot, some posh glass and an adjustible parralax.

Well I don't want much I know but any advise would be gratefully excepted.

I think you need to be carefull buying a good scope, I mean using one with the Archer, good scopes are fine but to get truley the best from the Archer you will need to match it to the right scope. would suggest you read some of the recent posts on Archers before comitting to a scope. Posh glass and fine reticles are not always the best with add ons.

Regards

i have one myself i can see rabbits at dusk when the chap i shoot with has put his rifle away,very positive clicks and very good build quality and customer service.

Are you talking about the leupold trigger. Would people say there a better scope than Nightforce in the respect of light gathering/glass/reticle, I've only really looked through swarovski and s&b. Trouble is the reticles I've had or seen are all to thick for long rangie varmints.

Gary thats a nice scope buh. Only small thing I've never liked is a front parallax on a scope. Have you got any picys of the the reticle illuminated and unilluminated

Are you talking about the leupold trigger. Would people say there a better scope than Nightforce in the respect of light gathering/glass/reticle, I've only really looked through swarovski and s&b. Trouble is the reticles I've had or seen are all to thick for long rangie varmints.

Gary thats a nice scope buh. Only small thing I've never liked is a front parallax on a scope. Have you got any picys of the the reticle illuminated and unilluminated

I find the front px excellent with the archer, just set and forget, side px just seems to get moved when carrying rifle. The ret is excellent, it try to sort pics, the centre dot is see through like "tracing paper" when not illuminated allowing very precise shot placement on paper and live quarry.

illumination off, trees at 100y

DSC03868_zps0e7f9239.jpg

illumination as you would use it at dusk, ie, low power

DSC03869_zpse8ba318a.jpg

illumination on full power, never used it like this, but good for fast target aquisition in daylight i believe, too bright for low light work.

DSC03871_zpsae5f0845.jpg

Gary looks nice and clear, can't judge how big the dot is. What size bull do you think it would cover at say 100 yards, oh is the ret in the second plain.

Has anyone compared a Leupold mark 4 to a night force in low level light.

Gary looks nice and clear, can't judge how big the dot is. What size bull do you think it would cover at say 100 yards, oh is the ret in the second plain.

Has anyone compared a Leupold mark 4 to a night force in low level light.

2nd plain ret, at 100y you can clearly see the small centre dot on one of those orange 1" target stickers, beauty of these scopes is nothing gets obscured. Clicks are 1/6 moa or 5mm @ 100m. Crosshair thickness 0.5cm at 100m when on 24x

Just sold a keeper friend of mine a s&b 4x16x50 with a8 varmint ret. Very fine indeed. See a magpies head at long range with out covering it.

If anything its a little to fine imo. But he loves it. And got it on a 204. As for the swaro that scope is a cracker. A lad who use to mentor me when I 1st started shooting had one. On a tikka t3 tactical in 223

See off many a fox with it. The ir dot is very handy. And so is the different aim points you can use with your bullet drop data off the swaro website

• 3 weeks later...

tealo im in the same boat as you cant make up my mind what to get ,got a nightforce and just sold a mk4 i found the nf the better of the two.was going to get a march 2.2x25x42 but after looking at one at the show not going to bother great optics but just didnt look like a two grand scope.did look through baldies kahles tactical and was impressed but want a second focal plain not sure if they do one .best of luck with your choice let us know what you get

Can I jump on this boat too ? I currently use a sightron 8-32x56 s111ss moa2 ret. great for long range, the center dot is 1/4moa @24x, but, although the light gathering is good, the ret is too fine to use, it's 'just' usable under a lamp, but it needs to be brighter than I'd like, so a few foxes have had an easy time due to not being able to see the ret to take the shot, if it had an illuminated dot it'd be great, but it doesn't, so I'm looking at changing, or getting a dedicated nv set up. I must admit, the genesys digi nv scope at the show impressed me more than the n750/550 pulsars, and they do an 'add on', but I'd like to try before I buy, understandable at £1300. But if anybody wants the sightron in swap for something similair but illuminated, pm me. It is mint, with box, recipt etc

Archived