Magneto speed chronograph

Magneto speed V2

Having suffered with setting up standard chronographs for many years I couldn't wait to test the Magneto speed out.

Gary C from March scopes UK managed to get me one in his usual prompt and professional manner.

https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/index.php/march-accessories/magnetospeed-chronograph

001-1_zps3310152c.jpg

I went for the V2 version as it allows you to test with moderators on, even though I rarely shoot with a sound mod these days, the V2 also comes with a nice carry case.

Four of us went to Bisley yesterday in less than ideal conditions, all armed with a Magneto speed. Light intermittent rain, overcast, quite cold and poor visibility, this probably would have been a day where most chronographs would struggle unless you were using IR screens, not so the Magneto speed. Not one of us suffered from a missed shot.

It took me about 5 minutes at home setting it up with just a sneaky glance at the instruction manual; once I knew what I was doing it took me about 2 minutes or less to change from say a Rem varmint profile barrel to a 1.250 profile. Once you have the correct shims in place you lock them down with the screws supplied and then slip the rubber V block on top. Now if you're lucky when you change to another barrel profile it might be a case of just removing the rubber V block and inserting the next size, this will take a matter of seconds!

This photo shows the alignment rod supplied, it lies along the bayonet and the top of the rod should line up with the bottom of the bore. I tried mine on a .900 profile, a 1.000 profile and a 1.250 profile, I didn't make any adjustments between profiles and they all recorded the shots.

.900 profile

PICT0120.jpg

1.250 profile. You can clearly see the two shims and the rubber V block, I'm using the larger one

PICT0122.jpg

The two screws that lock the plastic shims in place

PICT0126.jpg

The user interface is small but does what it needs to do, it will give you all the data you require and probably some that you will not. My only complaint is that you have to set it to either show SD or ES, you can't have both on the screen at the same time, although it only takes a few seconds to swap then over.

The menu is controlled by this button on the side, you scroll down to select and then press it again and it gives you a yes or no option, idiot proof as it has been field tested by myself. The back light is a nice option if you're shooting under cover.

006_zps9ec1d2f0.jpg

The button to work the menu

009_zpse8a9fa11.jpg

My first try with the Magneto speed was to shoot a string of 15 to see if it altered anything, this was done at 600 yards. Most of what I had already read about the Magneto speed on the US forums was that POI would change by roughly 1 MOA high, mine didn't! The only problem I encountered was a little bit of creep on the barrel, until it fell off. I put this down to operator error as I hadn't tightened up the bottom screw sufficiently, you have to take into account the Magneto speed is strapped onto a polished stainless steel barrel. Just for peace of mind next time I'm going to try a piece of inner tube rubber between the strap and the top of the barrel (there is a piece of rubber included in the kit but I haven't read anything in the instructions to tell me what it's for, it could be for this) I will hasten to add that none of the others fell off. Once I had overcome the creep issue it worked flawlessly and I will shoot a lot of practise rounds with the Magneto speed attached, no more of this 3 shot ES nonsense, try it with 15 or 20 shots and see what you really get, I had my eyes opened.

Strap tensioner

PICT0121.jpg

The magneto speed created a bit of curiosity from the other shooters around us, I must admit four of us lying down behind our rifles with bayonets fixed probably did look like something from WW1. It's early days but this really does appear to be an excellent bit of equipment for the serious shooter.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5050 FPS wow!!!!

Can't wait to try mine.

I think I may have just broken the range velocity limit :)

In all seriousness this was on the unit when I turned it on from new. It needs to be deleted because it will certainly screw your figures up.

Great review Ian, thank you.

I,ve been fancying one myself, because i,m sick to the back teeth of messing about with screens, tripods, and holding other range users up setting a CED up.

This has got to be simpler and a lot more reliable.

Great review Ian, thank you.

I,ve been fancying one myself, because i,m sick to the back teeth of messing about with screens, tripods, and holding other range users up setting a CED up.

This has got to be simpler and a lot more reliable.

This was my reasoning Dave i made a purchase after speaking to Ian on th ephone they do sound the way forward, yes they are pricey but im sure they will be a better alternative to an oheloeor.

What about the superchrono you guys! Very simple to!

I'm not trying to downer on this thread but the superchrono has no leads just point it at the target and shoot over it! Fits on a camera tripod aslong as its horizontal to the bullet path!!

I can't see how it gets any easier.

YOU SAID THE WORSE THING AGAINST THE SUPER CHRONO IN YOUR OWN STATEMENT RONYY "IT GOES ON A TRIPOD" THE BEATY OF THE MAGNETO IS THAT IT DOESNT

I have to disagree mark! I reacon I could set up the superchrono quicker (easier) IMO! No leads, no tying anything around barrels! You just place it on the floor I always shoot prone and shoot over it simples!

one extra problem us target shooters suffer from is once the detail has started you can not return to the chrono where with the magneto you can and keep shooting safely

one extra problem us target shooters suffer from is once the detail has started you can not return to the chrono where with the magneto you can and keep shooting safely

That I do understand!! That is an excellent point I see a big advantage there mark! For me on the farm I don't have this issue! But I see this must be a massive plus!

Am i the only one thinking that as this will affect your barrel harmonics so you cant load tune whilst simultaneously monitoring velocity?

Everything I have read in the US forums suggests that this isn't a problem, I would add to that, that it is quite obvious that any kind of movement of the Magneto speed on the barrel is going to change the harmonics.

We shot at Bisley with the V2 variant on Saturday. We measured full strings of shots ie 2+15's at 600 yards with known very accurate comp rifles. There seemed to be no point of impact shift and the accuracy was upto the potential of the rifle.

I used the V2 whilst load developing for my 6mmAI and shot the 2 most accurate loads from this at 600 yards but with out the chrono, both hammered.

From what I personally found I would have no problems using one for load tuning. However my F class rifle has a very thick barrel finishing at 1" at the muzzle, so it may affect a light weight sporter barrel.

The user friendliness of them is superb and you don't have to worry of poor light and no chronos blowing over in the wind!

Cheers

Dave

Archived