Pac-Nor barrels

Davy

Does anyone have a view on Pac-Nor barrels? They were very popular a few years ago but seem to have fallen off the leaderboards now. I ask because I am just about to order some barrels in and was thinking of tagging a few of these to the order.

I have them on a few of my rifles and find them very good accuracy wise. They dont seem to retain much copper either.

I have never machined one so couldnt comment on this area.

Mark

Ive used several Pac Nor's prior to the change in import regs, they all machined really well and shot accurately. Pricing was similar to any other button rifled brand and customer service was excellent.

I think Neil Mckillop uses them a lot .

I have a couple of Pacnors and they have always proved to be tack drivers.

I used a 6mm Pacnor super match barrel chambered in 6x47 to win the Imperial meet in 2011.

Neil McKillop fitted it for me and uses them by choice, you only have to look at the tak drivers he builds to see why.

Have no fears Davy order away.

Cheers

Dave

They are as fine a button rifled barrel as I have ever used.

For your information, there is a Canadian barrel maker (Ted Gaillard) that produces button rifled barrels that are absolutely superb, He himself is an accomplished Benchrest shooter. They can be exported from Canada without the same issues as the US. I have used his 6mm and 30 cal barrels and they are as fine as anything I have ever used, particularly his 6mm.

gaillard.shootingpaul.com/Gaillard1.html

I have one here on another rifle however I have not shot it yet. They are certainly available along with the standard 5G and 3G and on a 2 week delivery plus customs clearance. I will have a word with my supplier and see what his sales are like for the Polygonal.

I suspect they don't make many, but it would be interesting to understand who buys them and why. The obvious advantage is less fouling and easier cleaning I would guess, but I wonder if it helps accuracy or stabilisation of the bullet in any way?

The Pacnor barrels I have had or seen in action supplied and fitted by Dasherman have all shot to the equal of Kreigers and Borders in my experience.The barrels were in 308 and 223 with the 223 being exceptional in 5 twist 1 in 9 which shoots in the .1,s at 100 with 50 vmax[good batch I guess!] and cloverleafing at 200 on a regular basis with 1200 roundcount at the moment.Would not wait months on end for certain other makes anymore,,,pacnor are as good as it gets for me.

I have a 3 groove Pacnor that Neil fitted and chambered in .243AI. By far the easiest to load for and by far the most accurate!

When i was choosing my barrel Neil said that PacNor claims the 3 groove is their most accurate but also the most finicky to load for.

Does anyone have a view on Pac-Nor barrels? They were very popular a few years ago but seem to have fallen off the leaderboards now. I ask because I am just about to order some barrels in and was thinking of tagging a few of these to the order.
iI have used many pacnor barrels over the years and have always found them a very good barrel. Fitted with attention to detail they are as accurate as any other barrel from any of the custom makers and were without doubt my first choice for the small bores , 17 cal 20 cal and the 22 bore s in their three groove configurations.

If you are looking to bring them in make sure that your import licence and your export liscenCe are Ian order. Pacnors practice of just posting out barrels a few years ago resulted in them being jumped apron by the state department and a rather heavy fine. If your blanks are profiled then you will require the correct paperwork and pay the corresponding fees. Danpd am myself had an in depth discussion with the relevant authorities at the shot shoe this week past anD do not be under any illusion all export of profiled barrel blanks require the paper work. That having been said they are worth the effort.

Janner, wise words, thank you. It is so easy to fall foul of HMRC/Border agency when importing such things.

These barrels are coming in from Australia as part of a regular shipment with some other parts. We distribute the C.G INCH action which is made in Oz as well as make the C.G DELTA/Model 59 variant actions over here and hold an open import licence. I always make sure I have copies of the export licence and that copies come with the shipment to keep things straight plus I notify the relevant people so fingers crossed this should not be any different.

I suspect they don't make many, but it would be interesting to understand who buys them and why. The obvious advantage is less fouling and easier cleaning I would guess, but I wonder if it helps accuracy or stabilisation of the bullet in any way?

Gyr who post on here at times has a Lothar Walther polygon on his 308 and seems very happy. He uses 168 A-Max for long range goat shooting.

edi

I bought one just out of curiosity for a rifle I built a few years ago. I was so impressed with it that all my rifles now have Pac Nor polygonal barrels.

My .30-06 has very little if any copper fouling and is very easy to clean. It's had I would say about 2000 rounds through it now with no sign of wear and the accuracy has not declined. The throat still looks like new through a borescope.

As for the velocity claims from polygonal rifles I'm not sure if this is true or not but my .30-06 is ackley'd too but it gets about 3000fps with a 178gr A-Max.

I bought one just out of curiosity for a rifle I built a few years ago. I was so impressed with it that all my rifles now have Pac Nor polygonal barrels.

My .30-06 has very little if any copper fouling and is very easy to clean. It's had I would say about 2000 rounds through it now with no sign of wear and the accuracy has not declined. The throat still looks like new through a borescope.

As for the velocity claims from polygonal rifles I'm not sure if this is true or not but my .30-06 is ackley'd too but it gets about 3000fps with a 178gr A-Max.

Velocity claims? Interesting. Any idea what the velocity of your 178s out of a similar spec. grooved barrel would be?

I've taken the plunge and ordered a polygonal myself to see what it's like. I'm looking forward to trying it now!

The claim is that the bullets get a better gas seal and therefore produce more velocity.

I've never compred it to another beacuse there are too many other variables that would affect the velocity too. Even barrels from the same manufacturer, cut with the same reamer would more than likely produce different velocities with the same load, so I'm not sure you could definatively prove it.

The claim is that the bullets get a better gas seal and therefore produce more velocity.

I've never compred it to another beacuse there are too many other variables that would affect the velocity too. Even barrels from the same manufacturer, cut with the same reamer would more than likely produce different velocities with the same load, so I'm not sure you could definatively prove it.

Quite so-Heckler and Koch made similar velocity claims way back for polygonal rifling,but I don't recall many clear and fair tests,for above reasons,perhaps.Fewer rifling cuts would presumably increase velocity too-same issues!

george

Archived