scope for .222

James19306

ok guys im after a bit of advice about a good scope for my .222 i had a sako 75 sporter and schmidt and bender 3-12x50 with p3 mildot reticle. I never used handloads with this gun and never really achieved any better than 1.5" groups at 200 yards. Then a couple of years later i decided to change that gun for an 85 varmint and tried some reloading, i didnt really have to do anything very advanced to get an exellent load for this rifle and it will easily and consistently shoot 1/2" groups at 200. Even my brother who doesent do a lot of shooting shot a 3 shot group at.34" and i followed it with a .41 3 shot group at 200 and a .78" group at 300, i know we should be doing 5 shot groups bit i cant imagine that they will be much worse I really am over the moon with this gun, however this has left me with a bit of a dilemma. i have an jet z mod on the rifle and on anything below 10 mag it is visible in the bottom of the scope picture forcing me to use medium mounts which i find uncomfortable. There is nothing wrong with the scope as its been to schmidt in germany and was perfect i have tried many different scopes and it seems short scopes in the 3-10 12 range will give me trouble and higher mag scopes in the 4-16 and above are fine. This is what schmidt and bender recommended as they said something like the field of view was too great and would be less on higher mag scope. This is not a huge problem as i have been hankering after a higher mag scope for a while now to try some 300 yard magpie shooting. I would like to sell theh schmidt and replace it with something in the 4-16 or better the 6.5-20 range with good reticle for the maggies. I also use the rifle for foxing as i live on a chicken farm so dont want a reticle so fine that i cant see it at night. My budget is whatever my Schmidt will get me im not looking to put anything towards it and dont mind buying secondhand. sorry if ive went a bit over the top with the typing i just wanted to explain fully. Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks James

Hi James, I sold a Schmidt 3-12x50 for the very same reason as the reticule was to thick for longer range on small targets and replaced it with a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 with the z-plex reticule. It is great ontop of my .223 tikka t3. The reticule is perfect under the lamp and also for long range vermin bashing. I would say the glass is as good if not better than the s&b. Tactical turrets track no problem. Where are you based your more than welcome for a look if local to me. Secondhand they go for £550ish. Failing that there is sightron and Bushnell elite which should be every bit as good.

ATB, Simon

I had a Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 and changed it for a Sightron as the Bushnell ret was to thick for long range varmints. OMG the Sightron S111 tactical is in a different league. With the LRMOA dot ret 3,4 and 500 yard head shot rabbits are the norm, the centre dot will precisely fit in a rabbits head at 500+ yrds with ease. The glass is far better then the Bushnell, my mate sold his Zeiss conquest and used the money towards buying two sightrons as the glass is almost as good!

Cracking scope for the money and a top performer.

Check out Richard Uttings YouTube review on them.

Steve.

I sold a Swarovski 8x50 with illuminated dot as it covered most of the target at anything past 150, I replaced it with a Sightron S111 8-32x56 with target dot, unless you are doing daylight shooting only I would avoid that reticle although the scope itself was great, I now have a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 LRT with fine duplex which suits me perfect, repeatable dialling, good for lamping and as the ret is in the 2nd focal plane it stays the same size, I was using it out to 600 today on rooks

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been thinking It over and have to say I'm no closer to an outcome, the sightron do seem to have a great reputation but I'm a bit worried its a bit target orientated for my purpose and the moa2 ret is too fine for lamping? Anyone done any lamping with one? My p3 ret is not that thick @12 mag I would just love a bit more mag and the Longer scope body that comes with it which would do away with my pesky looking at the back of mod problem. I did really fancy a leupold but I don't really get on with the eye relief and think I would be giving up a bit of optical quality from the schmidt. All i know is I'm going to have to compromise somewhere to get what I want. The zeiss conquest looks perfect for me but the lack of uk warranty would scare me a bit to be honest ad the chance of picking one up seems very unlikely these days.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been thinking It over and have to say I'm no closer to an outcome, the sightron do seem to have a great reputation but I'm a bit worried its a bit target orientated for my purpose and the moa2 ret is too fine for lamping? Anyone done any lamping with one? My p3 ret is not that thick @12 mag I would just love a bit more mag and the Longer scope body that comes with it which would do away with my pesky looking at the back of mod problem. I did really fancy a leupold but I don't really get on with the eye relief and think I would be giving up a bit of optical quality from the schmidt. All i know is I'm going to have to compromise somewhere to get what I want. The zeiss conquest looks perfect for me but the lack of uk warranty would scare me a bit to be honest ad the chance of picking one up seems very unlikely these days.

Not an easy one as it has an element of personal issues-I have no problems at att eg with leupold eye reflief-or any other make for that matter.The 222 deserves up to 25x (0r 32) to give of its best,within it's effective range-I like the leupold 8.5x25 either varmint ret,or mil dot ret,but most of the varmint rets will compromise night shooting severly-the conquest Z rapids/varmint look a little fine too-it really is try and see under your conditions.Side focus is a must.I take the point about optical quality,but it is seriously overplayed often-I have Night Forces for very long range,yes,but I can't say I've ever felt a good leupold eg was inferior for field shooting (very poor light is another matter). In the limit,I'd get another fairly basic rifle for foxes,and a dedicated night time scope-you won't need top optics/magnification!Nor bench rest precision.The BRNO 222 Fox is just the ticket,or something similar-light,det box mag,well good enough,esp from a pick up cab. There is always more than one way to compromise!I'd not hesitate to put on a 'lesser quality'-but god enough- scope if you find one that covers your applications.No point in an 8x42 NF fine target ret that you can't see,but a great tool for 1000y in good light,and as a foxer,a March is just ridiculous.

george

The BRNO 222 Fox is just the ticket,or something similar-light,det box mag,well good enough,esp from a pick up cab.

depends what you use it for

I have a Fox Model2 cut to 19"

not ashamed to say it now sports a 7x50 Nikko!

I have a Vx3 6.5-20 on it, a VX 3-9x50, a S&B 4-12x40 and a 8x56 (fouled the bolt)

90% of the shots are at night, got sick of missing opportunities because I had left the zoom up or needed to faff around with parallax.

the last fox I shot was at 17.5yds (yes, decimal point it correct), before that 75yds, before that 190.

faffing with focus and zoom was just too must hassle and now I just point and shoot

I have a Vx3 6.5-20 on it, a VX 3-9x50, a S&B 4-12x40 and a 8x56 (fouled the bolt)

90% of the shots are at night, got sick of missing opportunities because I had left the zoom up or needed to faff around with parallax.

the last fox I shot was at 17.5yds (yes, decimal point it correct), before that 75yds, before that 190.

faffing with focus and zoom was just too must hassle and now I just point and shoot

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simply Successful !

george

Archived