Old School Sporter

Hi Fergal,

All metal finishing (bar the bolt) was done by Tuftriding, sometimes known as ferritic nitrocarburizing. This process is used throughout engineering. It is a form of very thin case hardening that improves wear resistance, increases lubricity (less friction, good in bores) and as a bonus leaves a black finish!

This process and derivatives of it is known by a variety of names such as Tenifer (previously used on Glock pistols), QPQ and black nitriding. It has previously been written up on various US forums and has been used on Milspec components and firearms for a number of years. I have been using this process for a number of years with complete success, it works equally well on carbon and stainless steels. The only drawbacks are that all components must be separated (no sub-assemblies) and there must be no soldered or brazed joints present. Solder will melt and brazing will contaminate the tanks, I hope that this is of interest,

Best regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, is this a process you carry out yourself. Im planning on producing a line of rifles similar to the old style English rifles and this process looks like a helpful way of achieving this.

Thanks Alan, is this a process you carry out yourself. Im planning on producing a line of rifles similar to the old style English rifles and this process looks like a helpful way of achieving this.

Hi Fergal,

PM sent,

Alan

Very nice looking Rifle Alan. :)

I get some of my bolts tuftrided, if folk want a black bolt in a stainless action etc. Its a great, hard wearing finish.

The difficult part is finding companies with an RFD to legally allow them to do the work.

Alan

Thanks for looking after our mutual friend

I am reliably informed that it will deal with problem leopards when delivered

Very interesting to observe that the owner is ONLY interested in shooting off hand on fast moving objects !

I can also confirmed he shot in the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 and is no couch potatoe when it comes to problem leopards

I am reliably informed that there will be many other interesting working tools coming your direction in the near future

Perhaps you can enlighten us mere mortals on the merits of the Jim corbett style rifle you have made previously ?

Lovely looking classic rifle Alan. Just out of interest how long does a project like that take? Cutting the chequering must be one hell of a job on it's own let alone the rest?!

Lovely looking classic rifle Alan. Just out of interest how long does a project like that take? Cutting the chequering must be one hell of a job on it's own let alone the rest?!

Hi Tank,

Thanks for your interest. Laying out the chequering on a bolt action rifle stock typically takes between 3,1/2 to 6 hours, the time taken depends on the size of the stock, the degree of coverage required and the number of lines per inch. In the case of fine chequering such as 28 or 32 lines per inch it can take more than a day.

After oil finishing (up to 10 hours) the chequering is re-cut to clean out any oil and to bring the diamonds up to a nice crisp full depth. Red oil is then brushed into the raw re-cut chequering to give it a natural colour in keeping with the rest of the stock. Red oil is made by steeping alkanet root in raw linseed for a few days and then straining to exclude any particles that could scratch the stock,

Alan

Thats the kind of working rifle I would love to use. Hear its a tack driver too. What I like best is that its built to remain that way even when used in the Monsoon. Just lovely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where do you get your Ebony from? Shouldn't be a trade secret but its not something you find in your local wood merchant and I'm not having any luck. Just fancy a bit for making up some knife scales.

Where do you get your Ebony from? Shouldn't be a trade secret but its not something you find in your local wood merchant and I'm not having any luck. Just fancy a bit for making up some knife scales.

Hi,

Just switched on and this popped up. I've had ebony from a variety of places, these people have a selection that can be viewed on the premises - Tilgear of Cuffley in Herts. They are long established suppliers of tools and materials for professional and hobbyist applications,

All the best,

Alan

Archived