It automatically changes with bullet selection I think?

Andy

I don't use Exbal,but 'automatic' here raises an eyebrow-I may well be wrong,but how does the program know-other than using the makers quoted BC value-and that isn't typically standard across makers,or even specified as G1 or something more accurate.It might tell you thge BC value,,I suppose-and sometimes the differences are so large that its clear which system has been used-but I'd be checking the output 'predictions' against reality-which you would do anyhow,given the more limited accuracy of quoted BCs-three decimal places can seem like precision,but it's better to see them as comparative only with other BCs using the same system-eg in all the sierra match kings. BC can stand for Be Consistent.

george

thanks george its only lapua and berger that qoute g7,to be honest the g1 seems bob on out to 400yds.i don't often shoot further but just fancied looking at the difference.

OK.G1 is pretty crude in itself (cylinder with rounded nose shapae assumed!),but as long as comparisons are with other G1 BCs,it's not unworkable over short distances.As ever,you have to check with the reality of your load/rifle package,as you say.Lapua and Berger are a bit more savvy,or know their customers are,so use G7.Sierra might have for the Match king,but then would look inconsistewnt for G1 on their hunting bullets-where construction far outweighs BC decimals over 200 yards.

I don't know if exbal etc adapt easily-but looking at all this is what we do on cold days in the winter-it's interesting,especially with a copy of Litz "very advanced ballistic theory,and it's assumptions"!!

george

Archived