I've found my Mecca

SteveW

Hi all,

I've just made it into the 21st century, got a computer and discovered I'm not alone !!! I joined UKV last night, I've been subscibing to The Varmint Hunters for over 10 years and thought that the yanks were the only one's who had a passion for popping critters. How wrong was I !!! Great to know ur all out there.

Does anyone have any experience with the Barnes 36g varmint grenades? normally use 52g Barts, just fancy a change. Hope to chat to many of you in the future. Cheers Stevie220Ackley

Hi Stevie, welcome to the site buddy.

I have some i am going to use in my 22-250 Ackley but i am still fireforming at the moment, using 53grn SMKs very accurate and great killers.

I presume form your screen name that you have a 220 swift Improved, if so you should be able to get the grenades over the 5000fps mark.

Ian.

PS. Where are you based mate?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply dude, I never envisaged that sort of velocity !! Was thinking about 4600fps, will definately give them a go now.Based just outside Bournemouth, sunny Dorset. How about U ? Had the 220 Ackley about 12 months now, rebarreled Remy by PRS, shoots like dream when i do my bit !!

Great site UKV

One of the videos on the Barnes site has them going at 4300+ from a standard 22-250 so IMO 5000 is achievable form an ackley.

I am waiting for one of my other shooting buddies to send me a copy of the Barnes DVD he says that ground squirrels hit by the varmint grenade are almost vapourised.

I am in Northamptonshire buddy, "Rose of the Shires"

Ian.

Hi Steve welcome to the site just joined a few weeks ago and think its the nuts ;)

Have just ordered some of the grenades for my 243 and cant wait to try them , a mate of mine sent me a video of him using a 22/250 on rabbits in the states and they just explode cant wait to get my paws on them and see what they will do in 6mm.cheers Andy ;)

Hi Andy and every one else who welcomed me

I'll be VERY interested to hear how ur 6mm varmint grenades do !! I've a 6mm/284, so would love know, at present it launchs a 68g Barts @ 3980fps, so it would be nice to break the 4000fps. I noticed what times you guys have been replying, obviously longing to be out with lamp & rifle, but enjoying the home comforts while the weathers sh*t

Thanks again for making me feel welcome

cheers steve

Yes duey, it will be a shoot and see range session before they are taken into the field.

Loads will be developed and shot over the chrony to see how fast we can get them to go.

The manufacturers states they are designed to withstand ultra high velocities.

I specced my Ackley barrel with a 14 twist specifically to shoot light bullets fast.

Ian.

Yes welcome to site my friend!!! :P:huh:

Fantastic bunch of guys and girls here who are always a great help and quick to take the p*ss too!!!! :lol::mellow:

All the best and have fun...............

RAY......................................... :D:P

Cheers for welcome Dave

Can I be member no. 2 of the REMY'S R US appreciation club ? Grant was talking about Sako's, never heard of them !! Only pulling ur leg Grant, there great rifles. Great group u shot dave, on one of ur other postings, love the Nightforce too, Remy's and Nightforces a match made in heaven or hell if ur a fox

My wife thinks im nuts e-mailing strange men in my spare time, not that im saying ur strange guys, well maybe Grant, he does like Sako's !!

V

It was just that i have a vague memory of reading somewhere that the thinner skinned varmint bullet don't like velocities above 4600 and they tend to come apart. It was a while back so might be wrong, and I wasn't trying to suggest that you was not going to try them out first just a statement of what I thought you would do

Good luck with the development

as an aside I had my 300Wmag pushing 3150fps for a 200gr bullet out of a 26" barrel that was spot on even had one 3 shot group at 400yds just under1/8moa but the brass didn't like it much, lucky if i got a second firing out of it and come to think my shoulder wasn't exactly impressed. Calmed it down to 2805fps now and all a lot happier, I must try and find time to see what sort of groups I can achieve with it now

Ian

just been and dug out my notes NC

was actually Chrono at 3110fps

Lapua cases (ouch £1 each) neck turned and previously fire formed and neck sized etc etc

Vhit 560 76.3gr

Federal 215 gold primer

COL 3.519

0.020 off lands

Gone back to Vhit N165 now at 69.8gr but the rest about the same oh yes change to Winchester brass as well as half the price of Lapua, just in case i started scrapping them again, and on about third reload for the majority of the brass so holding up ok

Ian

Thats only Match bullets haven't sorted a hunting round yet as my 308 remmy looks after that department at the moment

It was early last year when i got brass think it was about £98/100 from Norman Clark

Planning to sort some 180gr sierra gamekings for hunting when the weather improves and spending the day at the range with my loading kit wont entail getting hyperthermia and frost byte or even drowning :mellow::huh:

Ian

Archived