Bisley

Orka Akinse

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it was the same last year.

It seemed in the end Bisley had no choice as all military firing ceases over this period and all the ranges share a common safety zone.

So no military shooting so Bisley is stuck.

It is ridiculous but it's the way it is sadly.

The gripe is with the MOD this time and not the NRA for once.

Cheers

Dave

Yes it was the same last year.

It seemed in the end Bisley had no choice as all military firing ceases over this period and all the ranges share a common safety zone.

So no military shooting so Bisley is stuck.

It is ridiculous but it's the way it is sadly.

The gripe is with the MOD this time and not the NRA for once.

Cheers

Dave

Hmmm possibly but in the news today all military stood down during the period 14 Dec - 7 Jan so hows that work Dave?

Not having a pop but what do you mean exactly by sharing a common safety zone?

So, why do I have to work 28th to 31st dec ?? Oh, to sit around at landmarc's expense. Oh well.

But I agree, bisley may be an 'mod' range, but it's used by civvies, when was the last time you saw a mil unit there ? So why still run as a military range, they should run it as a private enterprise, for the civvy shooter, (as the main user) and open during the time when most of us would love to get out shooting, anything to avoid the in(out)laws lol.

The whole 'Bisley is MOD' really gets my goat. Proper MOD ranges get shot to that which promotes growth and vigour by GPMG's, idiots, sorry, soldiers, that can't shoot, RCO's that tell you too late they want Fig.28's etc

Bisley is used as a civvy range, give the civvies what they want/need !!!!

Rant over

Pete

Hmmm possibly but in the news today all military stood down during the period 14 Dec - 7 Jan so hows that work Dave?

Not having a pop but what do you mean exactly by sharing a common safety zone?

Hi All,

As discussed last year, Bisley and various military ranges share the same RDA (Ricochet Danger Area). With no Landmarc personnel on duty the RDA for Bisley would be un-monitored leading to a potentially dangerous situation. As mentioned before, don't blame the NRA for this one, it's down to the MoD,

Alan

Hi All,

As discussed last year, Bisley and various military ranges share the same RDA (Ricochet Danger Area). With no Landmarc personnel on duty the RDA for Bisley would be un-monitored leading to a potentially dangerous situation. As mentioned before, don't blame the NRA for this one, it's down to the MoD,

Alan

Exactly, so lets blame the NRA...........

Funnily enough, the renewel notice has just come through for membership. £67.50

I cannot see why i should pay this anymore. The place isn't open when i,m on holiday. The khazi,s are,nt even open during the winter. One of my own clubs gives me a safe shooter certificate as well as the NRA and my BASC membership covers insurance.

Am i missing something ? :blink:

Funnily enough, the renewel notice has just come through for membership. £67.50

I cannot see why i should pay this anymore. The place isn't open when i,m on holiday. The khazi,s are,nt even open during the winter. One of my own clubs gives me a safe shooter certificate as well as the NRA and my BASC membership covers insurance.

Am i missing something ? :blink:

100% with you on this dave the nra neeed to sit up and smell the coffee

Why am I a member, its simply because the range time I want is for practice and load development, real time data and the flexibility of booking a lane and just doing my thing.

Clubs just do not give me the flexibility I need. God knows where people do there range time and load development cos the clubs I've been in don't do it and I've been in a few over the years. The cost of being in a local club Vs Bisley is sadly comparable but I can do what I want instead of being told what I can do which invariably doesn't work. So I'm stuck with them for now at least.

Instead of bitching on here why not write to them.

Where else in the UK can you shoot just about any shooting discipline for £67 a year? I will admit the NRA are far from perfect but I do like to think the current management are at least trying, albeit with tied hands. Possibly it's like blaming the Conservatives for the mess Labour got us in to.

One simple rule, if you love doing something stay out of the politics because often you will end up hating it.

Instead of bitching on here why not write to them.

Where else in the UK can you shoot just about any shooting discipline for £67 a year? I will admit the NRA are far from perfect but I do like to think the current management are at least trying, albeit with tied hands. Possibly it's like blaming the Conservatives for the mess Labour got us in to.

One simple rule, if you love doing something stay out of the politics because often you will end up hating it.

You are joking Ian Right ?

I,ve written to Brian Thomas TWICE on separate occasions to complain about various problems at the phoenix etc, and recieved quite snotty replies and got no sense whatsoever.

I wrote to the NRA officially, to make a complaint regarding the target frames on Century, and how they were simply unsafe, and not fit to be in use.

This came about from me injuring myself badly on them. I tore my stomach wall giving me a serious inguinal hernia, which is documented by my GP and hospital. I,ve had corrective surgery which hasn,t worked properly, and i will probarbly carry the injury for the rest of my life. It means i can no longer carry anything remotely heavy, or do any hard manual labour like digging.

I wrote informing them of all this, and politely requested they should do something about it. I also pointed out i had taken it on the chin, and would not take the matter further. I also informed tham that other people might not take the same attitude and may sue them , as they would undoubtedly be liable.

I recieved no reply whatsoever.

Its got nothing to do with politics , and everything to do with customer service, or the complete lack of it. The NRA need to wake up and realise they are a business, and businesses that do not perform, or give the customer what they want, will go bust.

The economic climate , such as it is, will now dictate that poor customer service and bad value for money means people will no longer use them.

I,m lucky, i can afford to travel and shoot there, as often as i wish. I used to. I now wont, because i know i,m being bent over .

The last time i went, we had booked a range and travelled dow from Yorkshire to shoot. Only to be told when we got there that there was no booking, and the range was unavailable [last Harley rally ] only a very unpleasant argument got us on Century.

That is no way to run a business.

I,ve now kicked all Bisley shooting in the head apart from CSR and the CSR imperial section , but only because those shoots are organised by Mark Bradley, and are run very well. If i had to deal entirely with the NRA for them, they would go too.

You are joking Ian Right ?

Nope, I'm perfectly serious Dave.

It's just to damn easy to sit at home and type your grievances without ever actually doing anything about them, it's humane nature I guess, so I applaud you for being one of the few who has actually bothered.

As far as I'm aware the Phoenix isn't a NRA event? I have like you corresponded with Brian Thomas about the Phoenix, but unlike you I didn't get a reply, I think perhaps a snotty reply might have been better than none at all! I will shoot the Phoenix F class event this year if anything to just see whether my words were read and the fact that it was fantastic value for money despite the wrong size targets and a out dated scoring system used.

Had I traveled from Yorkshire I too would have mightily spikey with not having a target, I guess I'm lucky that I'm only 50 minutes away. Whenever I book a target I always stress to the range office that anything other than a F class target is a waste of my time and I will ask for my money back. On a few occasions believe it or not they have got it wrong, luckily I had a decent marker who was able to find the correct target!

But the thing is I have had so many fantastic days shooting with and against my friends over the last couple of years that I will not let the inadequacies of the NRA stop or hinder my enjoyment.

I,m not sure Ian , about the Phoenix ? Cheques are always made out to NSC ltd [as i remember ] so you could be right.

We knocked the gallery rifle on the head this year, and i resigned from the England team. It was just getting silly. Every meeting was costing £200 just in entry fees, and being charged £11.50 just to shoot 24 rounds of .22lr was starting to grip the old turd a a tad.

I love Bisley, I love the place, the ranges, and the general feeling of it. What i dont want to see is the place retaken as a military only range, or worse still, built on.

The NRA are not capable of looking after the place for future generations, i simply want to see an organisation that can. Its too much of a valuable asset to lose.

First thing i would do, is clear one of the many caravan sites covered in rotting sheds, and invite Travelodge in, for next to nowt, to build a hotel, with the proviso that shooters take priority bookings [or even NRA members ]

This would make a huge difference to the place. People would stay on camp more, and the upsurge in trade would benefit all the other bars etc like the L+M , old seargents mess, Canada house etc. If people are on camp with money in their pocket, then there is an audience to open to .

You only have to look at the Harley rally earlier on this year to see what COULD be done.

Why am I a member, its simply because the range time I want is for practice and load development, real time data and the flexibility of booking a lane and just doing my thing.

Clubs just do not give me the flexibility I need. God knows where people do there range time and load development cos the clubs I've been in don't do it and I've been in a few over the years. The cost of being in a local club Vs Bisley is sadly comparable but I can do what I want instead of being told what I can do which invariably doesn't work. So I'm stuck with them for now at least.

This is pretty much the reason I have just joined the NRA that and also to see how I like target shooting. Off to Bisley to do my range competence cert on Fri.

After following this thread, being a member could be more frustrating than I had hoped.

This is pretty much the reason I have just joined the NRA that and also to see how I like target shooting. Off to Bisley to do my range competence cert on Fri.

After following this thread, being a member could be more frustrating than I had hoped.

Well all that has been said yes there can be some problems at Bisley , I have had none .

Join up and support the NRA. I have had loads of fun use the site , i love the place, not great i no but very little in life is.

I shoot there about 8/10 times a year it works out very cheap.

Ian

I too have made discrete enquiries and lobby'd in my own way to try and get the government to take a more positive view of using the Bisley facility for the Olympics that led to a chance opportunity of dicussing why they [bisley] did not figure in the plan. It was an interesting discussion that left me clear (if accurate and I have no reason to disbelieve what was said) there was no hope. I'm disappointed you feel my post evoked picturesque visions for you of me sat here on my larger than average arse and go on websites to "bitch" and not do something.

The point is relatively simple in its construction, they want revenue and they have a largely civilian membership and so like any business selling goods or services they have to make their product available at the point of use. Christmas is a national holiday and its shut! I like many others would use the facility if it were open during this period. Now I might be wrong but I don't recall reading or hearing of any attempt by Bisley to try and open during this period for their customer base and bank balance. Perhaps it should be looked into eg they use a common template, so has any attempt been made to try and address why it needs to be closed? What could they do to open it or open in part? After all the two week shutdown represents a shade under 4% loss of a desperately needed revenue stream.

ATB

OA

My biggest gripe with Bisley is the cost of the ranges. I accept that they have to pay their markers what they do, but to charge £20 or £30 for a lane when the rest of the range is empty is rediculous. Several times we have been on a saturday to be the only ones on either century or stickledown. Twice we have been in the last 12 months and been the only ones on any of the ranges. To have a completely empty complex on a weekend is appauling and no way to run a business. The only reason I can think is the cost. It is prohibitive for one person on their own. If on the weekends when they know they are going to be quiet they reduced the price to £5 a lane, I'm sure they would fill the place.

I would drive up on my own to shoot if the prices were more realistic rather than having to think about organising a few of us to go up.

I have no problem with them charging what they do when the range is full, but it's a shame to have such a good facility wasted.

The point is relatively simple in its construction, they want revenue and they have a largely civilian membership and so like any business selling goods or services they have to make their product available at the point of use. Christmas is a national holiday and its shut! I like many others would use the facility if it were open during this period. Now I might be wrong but I don't recall reading or hearing of any attempt by Bisley to try and open during this period for their customer base and bank balance. Perhaps it should be looked into eg they use a common template, so has any attempt been made to try and address why it needs to be closed? What could they do to open it or open in part? After all the two week shutdown represents a shade under 4% loss of a desperately needed revenue stream.

I think that's it in a nutshell.

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

I'd strongly suspect they've just sat back and thought 'we can't' (I expect that's helped along by the thought of a big Christmas holiday over what I'd have thought should be a peak period).

Any NRA bods on here prepared to raise their head above the parapet?

Orka, please excuse my poorly chosen word "bitching" a bit of a shooting forum generalization on my behalf.

C18rch, I couldn't agree more, oh for those electronic targets. I would happily spend £30 for a mornings shooting but doubling it up for a marker makes it a luxury.

I have even made some shoot'n see targets to make things cheaper and at 300 yards they work extremely well, they also work well at 600 yards if the sun isn't out! This is of course assuming that you can hit a 12" x 24" target with your first shot, if you can't pack your rifle away and drive down to the butts and check your target :lol: I didn't risk it and paid for a marker to plot the shots on the shoot'n see.

Archived