Tactical Tikka.

baldie

I had a Hernia operation exactly a year ago to try and cure a pretty bad inguinal hernia. I couldn,t carry heavy guns then, and one year on, i still cant.

So i set about altering my personal collection to more manageable guns. I sold my .260 Valkyrie to a good friend, because it was too heavy for me.

That left a gap for a tactical rifle for McQueens , and longe range PR etc.

Having built several Tikka,s of late in this vein, it seemed a logical conclusion , so when an absolute dog of a shot out 22-250 presented itself, the little red fella on my right shoulder said "build a lightweight 6.5 x 47 " :lol:

Here,s the result.

IMG_1409.jpg

The action was stripped and fitted with a Border Archer 1 in 8.5" twist barrel at 20" long. I then fitted a Bennie Cooley brake.

IMG_1398.jpg

The bolt was duly fluted and fitted with a Hinterland bolt handle and shroud, a company of which i,m now an importer of.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

A 20 MOA rail was fitted too.

Trigger was tuned and the whole barrelled action pillar and marine tex bedded into the McMillan A3-5 stock which has a light fill and adjustable cheekpiece and spacer system.

The floorplate was inlet and bedded in, and runs the proprietry AICS 10 round mag.

IMG_1399.jpg

Dont know what it actually weighs , but its seriously light, and i dont feel like i'm growing a third testicle every time i pick it up.

The paintwork is Cerakote H Series in mil-spec OD green and armour black , baked on and like bell metal.

Need to find a light scope now.

OMG!!!! Lovely!! Just out of interest why do people not use the dovetail on the tikka action? I'm looking for a direct fit mount for my tikka project and I'm struggling to find one(ideally like the TRG 3ring mount).

Nice rifle and sweet paint job.

Dave, do you bed the bottom metal to relieve stress as you would for the action?

When you Cerakote an action do you paint the internal surfaces or leave them and the bolt lugs bare?

Not too bad on a Tikka but just wondering how Cerakote would work on an action with tighter tolerances?

Might be sending one up to you in the spring.

Cerakote is a lot thinner , film -wise than other paints, so it lends itself perfectly to reasonably tight actions. All but the very tightest will accept it.

Whilst on the subject, that is how to spot one of my paint jobs....it will ALWAYS have been shotblasted both internally and externally for the paint to be applied correctly. I flatly refuse to paint an action, or any part that cannot be shotblasted. The paint simply does not stick properly, and will not last. Thats why i dont paint RPA,s nor Barnards.They are simply too tight to allow paint internally, and its virtually impossible to guarantee no shotblast will get inside them if masked off.

The only part of a bolt not painted is the bolt head and lugs.

The bottom metal is fully bedded in Trucraft. Again, not something that people always spot when they ask for a quote.

The velocity will be interesting Scotch. This is the reason i went for 6.5 x 47 in a 20" barrel, and not .260 . I think it will be easier to maintain higher velocities, due to the more efficient, and smaller case....thats the theory anyway.... :lol:

Ballistol.....this is the "Thinboy"... :lol:

I think its gonna be a March Terry. I,ll try you again later today. ;)

Just can't help thinking that a March 2.5-25x42 would suit that perfectly.

got one on my 260 rem for stalking and i love it!

the 2.5-10x32 NXS with zerostop and .1mil would work as well?

Very pleasant on the eye Dave.

The new line in bolts handles and FP end caps will sell like tutu's to pink fairy's in dwarf bean country.

And being a Tikka, it would probably shoot extremely well, even with a shot out barrel and damaged crown...., :lol:

Nice looking set up Dave, sorry to hear about your hernia.

Any chance of posting the weight of the build before you add the glass ?

I'm just trying to compare the difference between this lightweight stalker type build against a long barreled/heavy varminter type build.

The 6.5x47 does seem to be this years rifle and I feel there will be a lot of interest in the results you get with accuracy and velocity when you get a chance to test. Please keep us posted.

I wouldn't worry about having to carry the rifle though, just tell ronny where you need it to be, give him a couple of shots and let him lug the lot. :lol:

cheers

froggy

It started life as a rem varmint Scotch, but was reduced on the tenon diameter to suit the tikka action.

Hopefully going to try it with a few loads this weekend.

According to the bathroom scales it weighs in at 10 lbs.

These guys Vince

http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php?cPath=118&products_id=838

Just checked my own. I,ve put the wrong one on the swine !

I had a genuine Tikka one, and one of the aussie ones. Mine is fitted with a zero cant one . Out with the airbrush again !

What a cant ! :lol:

Archived