Taking the plunge.

achosenman

YOU have kicked yourself in the nuts before you look at any nv.your saying every fox is lamp shy-well what will happen when you spot with the lamp?answers on a post card please! ^_^

look at as much nv as you can then buy a pvs14-get a good spotter as well then -no need for the lamp :) this is my method you can then more or less clean up the camera shy ones.i start with nv around august this is when all the shy ones are doing the damage-too many numpties with lamps make nv a god send.

+1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried to get a pic through mine. Had to put the camera on a low key setting because it just came out too bright to get any detail. Its not as clear as Id like and not anywhere near what you see through the unit as Camo suggested but gives you an idea. Its very dark out the back of where I live, no ambient light, although we are on a half moon its clouded over right now so not particularly bright. Put it this way I cant see anything just with my eyes when I look out over the back. The far hedge line is 310 yards away and the left edge of the stand you can see is 240 ish. The interference to the bottom left is a small tree at the end of my garden which is out of focus. The white fence posts near the hedge are apx 2.5 - 3ft high, a fox sat at the bottom of the far left one would be more than a decent sized target and even in that light clear enough to ID and shoot. Tube is spot free. Will try to get a better pic out in the open on a clear night another time. No IR being used on this. Actual visual image is brighter than can been seen in the picture.

Tried to get a pic through mine. Had to put the camera on a low key setting because it just came out too bright to get any detail. Its not as clear as Id like and not anywhere near what you see through the unit as Camo suggested but gives you an idea. Its very dark out the back of where I live, no ambient light, although we are on a half moon its clouded over right now so not particularly bright. Put it this way I cant see anything just with my eyes when I look out over the back. The far hedge line is 310 yards away and the left edge of the stand you can see is 240 ish. The interference to the bottom left is a small tree at the end of my garden which is out of focus. The white fence posts near the hedge are apx 2.5 - 3ft high, a fox sat at the bottom of the far left one would be more than a decent sixed target and even in that light clear enough to ID and shoot. Tube is spot free. Will try to get a better pic out in the open on a clear night another time. No IR being used on this. Actual visual image is brighter than can been seen in the picture.

I told you it is bloody hard work to get a good pic, but good try chap ;)

Tried to get a pic through mine. Had to put the camera on a low key setting because it just came out too bright to get any detail. Its not as clear as Id like and not anywhere near what you see through the unit as Camo suggested but gives you an idea. Its very dark out the back of where I live, no ambient light, although we are on a half moon its clouded over right now so not particularly bright. Put it this way I cant see anything just with my eyes when I look out over the back. The far hedge line is 310 yards away and the left edge of the stand you can see is 240 ish. The interference to the bottom left is a small tree at the end of my garden which is out of focus. The white fence posts near the hedge are apx 2.5 - 3ft high, a fox sat at the bottom of the far left one would be more than a decent sixed target and even in that light clear enough to ID and shoot. Tube is spot free. Will try to get a better pic out in the open on a clear night another time. No IR being used on this. Actual visual image is brighter than can been seen in the picture.

What's that through, a 4x raptor?

I've never seen shadows like that from a clouded sky but nice pic...

I've never seen shadows like that from a clouded sky but nice pic...

I guess your suggesting that it was not cloudy? As I said it was half moon but had clouded over. I guess the shadow you can see from the roof of the building is a shadow caused by what ever light is getting through and the NV is powerful enough to intensify the image and pick it up. I certainly couldnt see the building with my eyes and defo couldnt see any shadows being cast by a very bright moon etc. It just appears that way in the image. May have time later to try again.

Just took a couple more pics. Moon isnt out yet and obviously only just gone dark. There are a few clouds about but sky is quite clear but obviuosly no moon light yet, its also started with a very fine drizzle(sound like a weather man!!). Same place just slightly left, the large tree is 320 yards away. Managed to get the camera right up to the eye piece this time so shows the mag better than the previous image. Again, image taken on low key setting of camera, actauly image is brighter and obviously clearer when looking through the unit but it gives you a good idea. When you compare it to the other one it just shows how much light you stil get from the moon even through the clouds.

I wasn't insinuating anything, just merely asking about an observation. I know nothing about photography except it's hard taking pic's through nv so credit to you for the photo's. I saw a thread on the bbs about your unit for sale, Im off to lidl's....

I wasn't insinuating anything, just merely asking about an observation. I know nothing about photography except it's hard taking pic's through nv so credit to you for the photo's. I saw a thread on the bbs about your unit for sale, Im off to lidl's....

No problem mate. By the way the Bresser mention was a joke...Please dont go out and buy one expecting these results :)

• 1 month later...

Mate of mine bought a pulsar and sent it back because it wouldn't focus properly, nor would a second replacement he was sent. I'm saving my pennies for the NS200 system as I want to be able to use my scope normally during daylight, then change over to night vision when it gets dark. Also, I want to be able to use it on any of my rifles rather than have it dedicated...... but that's just my opinion amongst many :-)

Mate of mine bought a pulsar and sent it back because it wouldn't focus properly, nor would a second replacement he was sent. I'm saving my pennies for the NS200 system (www.dsctraining.org) as I want to be able to use my scope normally during daylight, then change over to night vision when it gets dark. Also, I want to be able to use it on any of my rifles rather than have it dedicated...... but that's just my opinion amongst many :-)

Save some more then and buy a Pvs14 if you can find one.;)

• 3 months later...

After months of looking at the options and looking through the various scopes I've spent some money. I just picked up a N750 with a NM800IR. I took it out yesterday. I had not looked through one but with distance selling rules I could buy and return if it did not work out.

My first reaction was OK...BUT! To my eyes the integral IR is ok for short range out to possible 200m max I’d say. (Yet to be proved) However, when I stuck a NM800 on the side, it transformed it into something that was better for my purpose than any Gen image tube I have looked through. I could clearly see the bottom hedgerow with good clarity at a ranged 504 meters. (Not yards) To be fair, I’m not sure you could spot a fox at that range without eye shine but by god it was impressive for the money. Some shooters I have spoken to are claiming to kill foxes at 300m with this set up. I wouldn’t call them a liar having seen this.

With the money saved, I’m taking delivery of a thermal scope for spotting today. (Same distance selling rules) This should be a good way of scanning an area for a fox heat signature without wasting time. I can’t wait to give it a go tonight. :D

The bonus for me is I’ve got a complete setup, that does the job, without being light sensitive with the damage that entails. All for the cost of a single top class image intensifier tube.

A big thank you to everyone who has put up with my never ending questions.

ATB

For anyone interested a quick update.

I went out yesterday for a foxing session. I used the thermal scope for the first time and it's brilliant. I eats batteries, but I took spares so not a problem. It took about 30 minutes of faffing around before I got comfortable with the best settings and controls. A further hour of lamping activity to train my eye to be able to identify what animal was producing the heat from well over 500m. It saved me from burning fuel since you could do a quick scan in a few seconds and know exactly what is in the field or behind the hedge, be it a rat, rabbit or anything else. After one nights use I can now tell what the animal is from pretty much any angle from it’s behaviour despite only seeing a portion of the body signature...in short awesome.

The scope was a bit of a nightmare to start with. Firstly, when zeroing you move the crosshair to the impact...doh. A little heads up might have saved me some head scratching. Secondly I could only zero it to be 8 inches high at 100m!! This was due to my Picatinny rail being the 20moa variety. I drove home but on the way I decided to put the rail on backwards to see if that would help. It did and I achieved a zero of .9 high at 100m...perfect or so I thought. I know this is a cheap scope compared to a proper image intensifier but by god does it perform. You need lots of IR as many have said, but for a non military application does that matter? As a plus, you don’t damage your expensive intensifier tube with the inevitable light pollution that afflicts most of the UK. The scope plus NM 800 costs half what I pay for a day scope.

I was able to see foxes at 300m+ clearly. I never shot one at that range since it was too easy to squeak them in to 100m or less. I will now re zero to 150m since its apparent you can shoot them at short range which never seemed to be an option with a lamp.

Using the on board IR does eat batteries, so I never bothered using it. IMO it would be more helpful if the manufacturer included a laser range finder instead of the quite frankly naff IR. (By comparison) I did get used to judging the distance using the reticle quickly, but a chap can never have enough toys. ;)

All in all a good night with 7 foxes accounted for in 5 hours. Plenty more to go but with this kit it will be a walk in the park.

ATB

Couldn't agree more, for the money with a good ir source they are hard to beat. Have the n550 + doubler + striker lamp with ir filter setup on a .223, deadly combination and has taken a serious number of foxes with it over the last 33 months. Still carn't beat a good night with the lamp though! What cal are you using the n750 on? And what thermal are you using? These sound excellent bit of kit although a bit pricey!

I’m using a 223. I tried a 204 for a few years but although a cracking little round, I found it more limiting than a 223.

I’m using a Pulsar Quantum HD38 thermal scope. The battery life (4xAA) is around 2 hours, but they do supply a 12v lead for the vehicle as standard, and the battery pack from the N750 will mount onto the side of the thermal scope so really power is not a problem.

I still cannot quite believe how good this kit is for the money.

ATB

Archived