Taking the plunge.

achosenman

Hi guys, some advise needed on night vision for foxing. It seems every fox I see these days is lamp shy, so I am looking at getting NV. I have used military issue kit.

What are the recommendations for modern civilian kit in use today? ...add on or dedicated?

I am not minded to ditch my Zeiss 6-24 for a Leupold to make an add-on work so that might reduce my options some.

I lamp alone so the plan is to spot with a lamp, then finish the job with a NV unit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

ATB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi, i can only tell you about my set up,i have the pulsar 550 with double lens, and the new nightmaster 800 torch.

you can shoot charlie out to 200 yrds clearly, mostly its closer, and looking for there eyes two or three fields away.

if you want cheap, i just bid on ebay and picked a 550 up for £700 i am now using it for a spoting scope.if you want new

the pulsar 750 from scott country is about £1,300 and the night master will set you back £189.if it will help pm your phone no

and we can talk more. pete ps i am using mine on a ar15 223 what is your shooting stick.

1353508571[/url]' post='136998']

Hi guys, some advise needed on night vision for foxing. It seems every fox I see these days is lamp shy, so I am looking at getting NV. I have used military issue kit.

What are the recommendations for modern civilian kit in use today? ...add on or dedicated?

I am not minded to ditch my Zeiss 6-24 for a Leupold to make an add-on work so that might reduce my options some.

I lamp alone so the plan is to spot with a lamp, then finish the job with a NV unit.

ATB

Don't waste your money on the Starlight Crap, or the Thomas Jacks Crap, digital or otherwise. Be patient and get a PVS 14 to go with your Zeiss, add an illuminator and be a very happy bunny.

I would try and go and see some nv gear before you part with any ££, add-ons are not up everyone's street neither are dedicated as you are tying a rifle up unless using QD mounts. Dedicated wil give you the best picture by far but limited to 6x but if i was you i would look at a 6x before writing them off, will let you see way past shooting distance but they ain't cheap for topend kit.

Not sure why you want to avoid the starlight or Thomas Jacks that which promotes growth and vigour!! I have used the startlight stuff and have no complaints. The pvs14 is a nice bit of kit as long as you know a black marketeer and are happy to have no warranty! I havent met anyone able to tell me where to buy one that hasnt been stolen from the military but I am prepared to stand corrected.

Camos advice is spot on. Try some, dont buy anything without getting a chance to look through one, also true is the fact that it is easy to see much farther than you need to or need to pay for.

A night site will give you 100m or so although they are a bit of a nuisance, a pulsar will give you 200m with a decent IR and such as an Archer or Longbow will give you upto twice that. My longbow is spot on and I can spot out to 400m no problem but then it is a lot of money.

I have both a PVS-14 which I use behind a Zeiss 6-24 and a Pulsar N750 with doubler and Nightmaster IR, in my mind the Pulsar offers a BETTER picture than the PVS, I can see further with more contrast, with the PVS (and IR) the eyes will show for miles but I find the body disappears into the background. I also find add-ons (of the PVS's length) difficult and uncomfortable to use. My longest shot on a fox with the N750 combo is 337 yards

I now nearly always use the PVS for spotting with a 3x lens which it is awesome for and the Pulsar for taking the shot, you do need a dedicated rifle for this though and the N750/doubler combo needs treating with kid gloves to prevent zero loss due to the doubler moving.

I have looked through several Archers (but no Longbows) and have never been very impressed, PVS is a much better bit of kit.

Do beware of recoil issues when using a PVS with larger calibres

Clive Ward of NV Scopes has a new digi add-on which is due soon and Pulsar have a new front mounted add-on which is also due out soon either of these may suit you as well but both being digital will need plenty of IR

ATB

YOU have kicked yourself in the nuts before you look at any nv.your saying every fox is lamp shy-well what will happen when you spot with the lamp?answers on a post card please! ^_^

look at as much nv as you can then buy a pvs14-get a good spotter as well then -no need for the lamp :) this is my method you can then more or less clean up the camera shy ones.i start with nv around august this is when all the shy ones are doing the damage-too many numpties with lamps make nv a god send.

Hi guys, some advise needed on night vision for foxing. It seems every fox I see these days is lamp shy, so I am looking at getting NV.

Stop missing them. :lol::lol::lol:

If your rifle already hasn't, fit a picatinny rail and get some quick release rings for your zeiss and buy what ever dedicated nv scope you fancy bearing in mind the pulsars need a lot of ir for best performance. Get a good look through anything you consider before parting with your hard earned cash! ;)

Billy feeding/walking away. Camera made pic worse but demos fact it would have been easy to shoot.

How much moon for your pic? Are you saying your one is available on the open market or are you just letting the OP know what he cant have?

Billy feeding/walking away. Camera made pic worse but demos fact it would have been easy to shoot.

How much moon for your pic? Are you saying your one is available on the open market or are you just letting the OP know what he cant have?

Lol ye just showing him what he can't have, as for moon god nows was done a while ago no longer use that scope since dropped to a 4x dedicated, but units like that are about if you look in the right place ;) would like to have a butchers thru your longbow one day if i could.

Thanks for the input guys…much appreciated. I think I need to start looking through some units.

if it will help pm your phone no

and we can talk more. pete ps i am using mine on a ar15 223 what is your shooting stick.

I will PM you mate. I’ve had a squint at the Pulsar web site and the 750 looks like it could work. I use a 223 tack driver built by Neil Mckillop with a 1-9 twist barrel, a long throat and tight neck loaded to 5.56 NATO pressure.

I would try and go and see some nv gear before you part with any ££, add-ons are not up everyone's street neither are dedicated as you are tying a rifle up unless using QD mounts. Dedicated wil give you the best picture by far but limited to 6x but if i was you i would look at a 6x before writing them off, will let you see way past shooting distance but they ain't cheap for topend kit.

Thanks for the PM mate, I’ll be in touch.

YOU have kicked yourself in the nuts before you look at any nv.your saying every fox is lamp shy-well what will happen when you spot with the lamp?answers on a post card please! ^_^

look at as much nv as you can then buy a pvs14-get a good spotter as well then -no need for the lamp :) this is my method you can then more or less clean up the camera shy ones.i start with nv around august this is when all the shy ones are doing the damage-too many numpties with lamps make nv a god send.

I wondered what that ache was :unsure: I find I can pick up the eyes and recognise a fox in a quick flash of the lamp. As long as I don’t centre the beam on them they hang around. If they run and they're around 100m or so it doesn’t matter...they die. ;):D

If your rifle already hasn't, fit a picatinny rail and get some quick release rings for your zeiss and buy what ever dedicated nv scope you fancy bearing in mind the pulsars need a lot of ir for best performance

I’ve got a Picatinny on. I'm quite happy to go dedicated since when I’m required to thin out the foxes, I tend to hit them hard prior to and over the lambing season. The farmers want it this way. Re-zeroing the day scope after the job is done is not a problem.

Stop missing them. :lol::lol::lol:
Damn I must give that a try ;):D Unfortunately the lesson Charlie gets seem to come from my thoughtful neighbours. :angry:

The damage came from running a 22-250 with hot loads and a reflex mod, i know of 4 different units now which have damaged tubes due to using reflex mods.Stick a Jetz on and no more problems, a 6x scope sits alot closer to the mod and a reflex sits back on the barrel making it close to the front of the scope, not a good combo. That scope was retubed and sold on months later after many many rounds while using a Jetz mod with no problems.

To be fair, althoiugh thast a good picture Camo ahs out up (apart from the splats!!!) it really doesnt do the scope any justice. At some point Ill try to get a good focussed picture through it....Unreal..

No matter how hard you try bud you wil never get a picture with a cam behind the scope as good as what you see if that makes sense.:wacko: As you know they are the daddies of nv scopes.

No matter how hard you try bud you wil never get a picture with a cam behind the scope as good as what you see if that makes sense.:wacko: As you know they are the daddies of nv scopes.

I was speaking to a friend the other night. He had a raptor 6x nv scope.

Think he paid 4 grand for it. Said it was the best nv he had ever seen and used. That was a couple of years back. And nothing still beats them.

He said the foxes use to take a right hiding on all his permission. And was gutted when his work dried up and he had to sell it to his friend.

I was speaking to a friend the other night. He had a raptor 6x nv scope.

Think he paid 4 grand for it. Said it was the best nv he had ever seen and used. That was a couple of years back. And nothing still beats them.

He said the foxes use to take a right hiding on all his permission. And was gutted when his work dried up and he had to sell it to his friend.

They are the best simple as that, but heavy thats why i ropped to a 4x R :P there are afew 6x knocking around if you look in the right place's ;)

Archived