6mm-284

wabbit evaporator

Looked at 6mmai and 243ai . I didn't want any fire forming so am going 6x47 . Get to use my favourite Lapua brass

Atb Steve

Steve

Not sure I follow your comment re the 243 Ackley. When I got my 243 Ackley I immediately went stalking with factory RWS ammo. I also worked up a load with Lapua brass for fire forming and then used it for stalking too. Once I had the fire formed brass I worked up another load for stalking.

The issue I see with the 243 Ackley is getting a set of dies that match the chamber. To address this, I've had a custom Hornady full length re-sizing die made from twice fired Lapua brass.

Regards JCS

Anecdotal, but I knew several shooters who used the 6-284 for long range antelope hunting and they loved it. This was back in the early 1980's. There was a gunsmith named Diminichi at a gun shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico who began wildcatting the 284 as soon as it hit the shelves. By the time I moved there in 1980, his 6-284 was already one of the region's favorite wildcat cartridges.

Just in case you thought this cartridge was something new!~Andrew

(Proof again that there is little 'new' out there!)

sorry for the late reply mr wabbit been off the air a while , I do indeed run a 6-284 built by Callum fergusson , all I can say is it's staggering , initially throated for the 87 gr vmax i settled on a load that ran them at around 3600fps easily doing 1/4 moa and startling on foxes then tried the 105 amax and has been said earlier in the post it came into its own , running them at 3400 fps it's quite remarkable , very accurate around 1/3 moa but retains this way way out there , we all know how the amax perform on harder targets and to press the longest rabbit taken is 805 yards, barrel life won't be that sparkling but that's life . good starting brass ( lapua) doesn't seem too powder fussy , rl22 h 4831sc both do very well , devastating on quarry what's not to like laugh.gif a little barkie but bloody good fun .

Hi Smokin, thanks for this, great to hear from someone that actually has one.

I am going to throat for the 87grn vmax as well, this would be my ideal bullet but would be nice to throw the amax if needs be. Can I ask you where you got the reamer from? There are a couple about but not yet found one for this particular pill.

Thanks in advance.

The standard reamer will be optimised for bullets around that weight. Mine is.

Dave Kiff knows what people tend to do with most cartridges. ;)

Not a difficult job to push the throat out a little more however.

Not a difficult job to push the throat out a little more however.
It will probably do it on it's own after a hundred rounds or so.

It will be great fun though. I run a 6mmAI and it will push 107 Sierras to 3400 easily!

Enjoy it

Cheers

Dave

Archived