what`s the best all-round bushcraft knife

thekeeper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I collected my falkniven today .first impression ,very well made but feels a little small in the hand ,the blade is nice and sharp out of the box not very keen on the kydex /plastic sheath

Mick

Bought this off a guy called Philip Sidell at a game fair about five years ago,£90, O1 tool steel, take head feet off Roe in seconds, chops batons for fun, lovely weight in hand and well balanced,Philip I think has stopped making knives for the moment, he's a joiner/carpenter by trade, if you come across one of his knives I thoroughly recommend them.

this might be a goood bet when they have them in stock http://www.heinnie.com/Bushcraft-Knife/p-0-0-9160/

i'm with the stainless way on this one..bushcrafters get off on 02 steel but it discolours/rusts!

i have little problem sharpening the correct stainless,not the rock hard stuff of my childhood which was crap, but the stainless today has a bit more content of other metals,i dont find i cant dress out a few deer before they need a bit more sharpening so whats why do bushcrafters not like them

In my opinion and limited experience a serrated edge is an anathema...useful only for a handful of tasks and impossible to maintain. Any knife should obey two principles in my book: fit for the task it's meant for and easy to maintain/restore. But, as the present discussion proves, we all have a different idea of what is the 'perfect' bushcraft knife. Forgetting perhaps that in a bushcrafter's pack, there's a saw and an axe. Do let us know how it behaves over time BD, it would be useful to know how it stood up to the tests. Were it me, I would have chosen the similar knife from Svord: as cheap, easy to maintain, rugged and with a similar blade.

Best wishes

Finman

In my opinion and limited experience a serrated edge is an anathema...useful only for a handful of tasks and impossible to maintain. Any knife should obey two principles in my book: fit for the task it's meant for and easy to maintain/restore. But, as the present discussion proves, we all have a different idea of what is the 'perfect' bushcraft knife. Forgetting perhaps that in a bushcrafter's pack, there's a saw and an axe. Do let us know how it behaves over time BD, it would be useful to know how it stood up to the tests. Were it me, I would have chosen the similar knife from Svord: as cheap, easy to maintain, rugged and with a similar blade.

Best wishes

Finman

Panos, absolutely agree, the serrated edge is 'silly', but it is what it is. I'll see how it goes. Can't agree on the svord though; I look at them and think 'great' - then realise they're tool steel that'll be crusty red in no time. Can't understand non-stainless for an unpampered field knife. I like the look of the one Matt 2 posts ago; if I'd known of it I'd have got one of those.

Panos, absolutely agree, the serrated edge is 'silly', but it is what it is. I'll see how it goes. Can't agree on the svord though; I look at them and think 'great' - then realise they're tool steel that'll be crusty red in no time. Can't understand non-stainless for an unpampered field knife. I like the look of the one Matt 2 posts ago; if I'd known of it I'd have got one of those.

I have the svord peasant for the last 3 years living in my hunting trousers pocket, whether I'm beating, walking the dogs, hunting, shooting, used in any weather condition, for any task and not kept particularly well. It is still without a spot of rust, and sharper than I would like to admit (being an admirer of stainless steel knives...). True, carbon knives may patina and will need a good wipe after being used, but that's it...It will take a lot of neglect for any knive to rust, and, if I'm to be honest, if you are to neglect a knife that badly, then it is your fault :). There's a lot of hype about carbon steel knives, but it has to be said that they are easy to sharpen, useful in the field and not as easy to rust as most people think. My next knife will be either the Anza Boddington or the Svord 1990NZ2 (or both :))

best wishes,

Finman

I have the svord peasant for the last 3 years living in my hunting trousers pocket, whether I'm beating, walking the dogs, hunting, shooting, used in any weather condition, for any task and not kept particularly well. It is still without a spot of rust, and sharper than I would like to admit (being an admirer of stainless steel knives...). True, carbon knives may patina and will need a good wipe after being used, but that's it...It will take a lot of neglect for any knive to rust, and, if I'm to be honest, if you are to neglect a knife that badly, then it is your fault :). There's a lot of hype about carbon steel knives, but it has to be said that they are easy to sharpen, useful in the field and not as easy to rust as most people think. My next knife will be either the Anza Boddington or the Svord 1990NZ2 (or both :))

best wishes,

Finman

Giving rise to the phrase 'have you seen my new knife?'

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I got this one last month http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/ESEE-Knives/RAT-Cutlery-RC-4-Desert-Tan/p-92-421-4505/

Its a very very good knife, it came razor sharp, I have skinned quite a few rabbits, de-breasted and legged loads and loads of Pheasants etc and it has maintained 100% of its edge, never needed to oil it.

There are YouTube videos of people cutting logs with them and chiseling bricks with the them and it still maintains its edge. Plus this/these knifes come with a no questions asked full life time replacement warranty.

Steve.

Had this made for me and recieved it about two weeks ago from a guy on the Stalking Directory.

Pics are as it came, since then ive polished the blade on 3000/10000 grit whetstone and now its properly sharp - slightly altered the angle of the cutting edge too, which works for me.

First impressions are good, edge is holding well...

DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3511.jpg

Wasnt that expensive for a handmade blade and I got to choose the design of the sheath and pick the scales, well pleased.

Had this made for me and recieved it about two weeks ago from a guy on the Stalking Directory.

Pics are as it came, since then ive polished the blade on 3000/10000 grit whetstone and now its properly sharp - slightly altered the angle of the cutting edge too, which works for me.

First impressions are good, edge is holding well...

DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3511.jpg

Wasnt that expensive for a handmade blade and I got to choose the design of the sheath and pick the scales, well pleased.

Thats a nice knife Andy, like the way the handle meets the blade, could you post a picture looking from the top ?

Will do, i'll leave it till day light tomorrow, the flash on my compact doesnt really do images justice.

The scales really fit my hands perfectly.

• 6 months later...

What a load of dribble , some of you guys have turned into a bunch of girls , to me I prefer a non SS , as they capable of holding an edge better , and you know what , knife is for cutting , so better edge is where it is for me ,

As to rusting , its not a bloody big GPMG , its a small simple shape , either wipe a bit of oil on it now & then , or paint it .

Also , to be it has to be value for money , because at the end of the day its still just a knife , its not a pistol , rifle or shotgun .

So when price gets to be close to the price of a Glock , ie 250 GBP , its crazy , so for same money , I can have a Glock or a rambo knife , MMmmmm , which will I chose , hint it isn't the knife .

So much over 30-50 GBP , and its way way over priced for me .

Later Chris

What a load of dribble , some of you guys have turned into a bunch of girls , to me I prefer a non SS , as they capable of holding an edge better , and you know what , knife is for cutting , so better edge is where it is for me ,

As to rusting , its not a bloody big GPMG , its a small simple shape , either wipe a bit of oil on it now & then , or paint it .

Also , to be it has to be value for money , because at the end of the day its still just a knife , its not a pistol , rifle or shotgun .

So when price gets to be close to the price of a Glock , ie 250 GBP , its crazy , so for same money , I can have a Glock or a rambo knife , MMmmmm , which will I chose , hint it isn't the knife .

So much over 30-50 GBP , and its way way over priced for me .

Later Chris

:lol:

Chris you make a good point, other than the Glock which is as much use to me here in the UK as a chocolate tea pot. I would be much happier carrying three cheaper knives than one real expensive one. No one knife will do all jobs anyway, you just cannot fillet fish with the same tool you might split 3" logs with. This doesn't mean I don't like nice shiny things BTW ;)

to me I prefer a non SS , as they capable of holding an edge better

Thats simply wrong. Compare typical carbon knife steel such as O1 to modern stainless knife steels in the SV and RWL range.

There scientifically proven benefit is edge retention.

Most peoples prejudice to SS knives comes from use of crap grade 440

If you don't want something the size of a machete, but just a serviceable knife, I think there are two choices. For a folder, you can't beat an Opinel. If a fixed blade is desired, then one of the Mora type. Both carbon steel for preference. Either will not rust unless you let it, but will acquire a patina that is no harm at all. They will work as well as any £300 knife, and will not break the heart if lost. For a bigger sheath knife, a Cold Steel 'Bushman' should tackle anything, is moderately priced, and sharpens up nicely with a few whacks of a steel.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4586

If you don't want something the size of a machete, but just a serviceable knife, I think there are two choices. For a folder, you can't beat an Opinel. If a fixed blade is desired, then one of the Mora type. Both carbon steel for preference. Either will not rust unless you let it, but will acquire a patina that is no harm at all. They will work as well as any £300 knife, and will not break the heart if lost. For a bigger sheath knife, a Cold Steel 'Bushman' should tackle anything, is moderately priced, and sharpens up nicely with a few whacks of a steel.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4586

I've seen it all sniper pens!

http://www.heinnie.com/Pens/Tuff-Writer/Operator-Sniper/p-290-1186-9111/

Its been my veiw that the tough / hard grades of SS are less rust restitant than than the table ware 440 , maybe there is a Super SS , that I have not seen in a knife , I am obviouly wrong in this .

Maybe?

Even if NOT , my comment on the cost of some of these wonders does stand , are main weapons are firearms , until we all get laser rifles , and I will take a firearm over any bladed weapon .

Opps , and even if it does rust , you know what , I bet that knife will still be OK to cut that which promotes growth and vigour , when you are long dead .

Later Chris