Nightmaster 800 Torch

Aggy

Does the beam fill your field of view?

Kind of,depending on how far away your looking.You have a square beam (or diamond as i did last time out) :blush: which will light up your fox no problems at over 300yds (furthest i've seen 1 with it so far)

Down side is close up,the beam is really tight and i know of 1 lad who has sent his back as it was no good for him searching for a fox that ran a little way..sticking to his scope mounted LF.

I'm using the red led and really happy with it..just need a better mounting system.

Here's the write-up

Had a busy few days including a call from 1 of the farmers saying "there's a Fox barking like mad in the back field" on Wednesday,no tea for me as i gathered my equipment and headed straight there,only for the Fox to have moved on.Nothing heard and no amount of calling brought it back...did get a skipped heartbeat when a Roe was spotted. :/

Anyways,onto last night.Was going to another farm to sit out as we baited up on Tuesday after a successful bit of lamping and it all went straight away.Too tired and hungry,so took some fresh bait to put out just after dark.

We set up with the clock attached to some and as we left the field,yup,we lamped a Fox that just sat and looked at us unmoved by the white light,although it was 400yds away.

Farmer said " well?" and i replied get out i'm going for the rifle :lol: when i returned he said,do you need me as my tea has just been put out...ha ha yes i do...if i'm going hungry so are you :P

We set up in a building overlooking the area Foxy was spotted and proceeded to try various Fox vocals and squeals,all to no avail even though we had picked the eyes up before even calling but it was over the brow of the hill.

Not again i thought,until Chicken Distress brought him out where he proceeded to sit and watch for at least 12 mins some 280yds away on the brow of the hill still.

The NM800 lit him up clearly and i got a good picture through my Leupold scope on x14mag.I eventually watched him return into the gorse bushes he was sitting outside of and thought,is he going to respond now.

Some 3 minutes later as i checked the field in front which had 6-7 horses in,i picked up 2 really bright eyes in among them which started to move towards us.At last we had a Fox coming to the call some 200yds away.I dropped the bolt to load the rifle and followed it eventually settling on it's chest as it stopped facing us,just as i touched the trigger it moved..phew but luckily it simply took 3 steps and turned side on to face the caller.I was on the bipod on a round bale so really steady and comfy.

Got a loud thump back and job done.

I wasn't happy with the quality of picture through the scope as it was only about 140yds away,then i realized i hadn't returned the parallax from the longer distance Fox seen earlier,DOH :blush:

SS100531.jpg

All in i am impressed with this little torch,although my new Archer is due any day so it may be semi retired already :rolleyes: Once a quick release mount is available for it,this will make it even better still as there's no weight and a good beam :good:

Oh yeah,dropped the farmer at the bottom of his drive to lock the gates and we lamped the original Fox but again it dropped straight into the bushes when the beam hit it...1 for the NV next week i think :yp:Also the bait went at 02.20am...couldn't be early could it :rolleyes:

Kind of,depending on how far away your looking.You have a square beam (or diamond as i did last time out) :blush: which will light up your fox no problems at over 300yds (furthest i've seen 1 with it so far)

Down side is close up,the beam is really tight and i know of 1 lad who has sent his back as it was no good for him searching for a fox that ran a little way..sticking to his scope mounted LF.

I'm using the red led and really happy with it..just need a better mounting system.

Square/diamond beam wouldn't bother me, used to that on the crelant, thought it fills the scope regardless of range, I get the impression it doesn't have the legs for what I wanted to do.

As far as I remember the beam is focusable, so it can be changed for close in to widen it? Not ideal with a fox in close granted. If you had your scope set on 8x (can't remember what you use on that girly gun) what amount of the field of view is filled at what ranges? You said "up close", so lets go with that? And at 100 yards would it fill the scope at 8x?

Could you shoot that fox you saw at 300 if you had had to?

Plenty questions there to keep you busy :P

Square/diamond beam wouldn't bother me, used to that on the crelant, thought it fills the scope regardless of range, I get the impression it doesn't have the legs for what I wanted to do.

As far as I remember the beam is focusable, so it can be changed for close in to widen it? Not ideal with a fox in close granted. If you had your scope set on 8x (can't remember what you use on that girly gun) what amount of the field of view is filled at what ranges? You said "up close", so lets go with that? And at 100 yards would it fill the scope at 8x?

Could you shoot that fox you saw at 300 if you had had to?

Plenty questions there to keep you busy :P

On mine when you focus it,it just reduces the intensity of the beam,doesn't broaden it.Did find when shooting Rabbits close in with it on full focus,the x hairs weren't as clear.Not a problem just noticeable.

Had my Leupold on x14 and watched the Fox in from 190 ish to 140yds where i shot it no problem at all,Red beam filled the scope.Did try it with the LF 170 and red filter when 1st bought side by side and the NM800 had a lot cleaner beam.

Could of easily shot the Fox at 300yds,clearly seen but on brow of a hill with only gorse as a backstop.

Get your money spent.

PS new Archer coming tomorrow :ph34r:

On mine when you focus it,it just reduces the intensity of the beam,doesn't broaden it.Did find when shooting Rabbits close in with it on full focus,the x hairs weren't as clear.Not a problem just noticeable.

Had my Leupold on x14 and watched the Fox in from 190 ish to 140yds where i shot it no problem at all,Red beam filled the scope.Did try it with the LF 170 and red filter when 1st bought side by side and the NM800 had a lot cleaner beam.

Could of easily shot the Fox at 300yds,clearly seen but on brow of a hill with only gorse as a backstop.

Get your money spent.

PS new Archer coming tomorrow :ph34r:

Good luck with your Archer, great bit of kit............Just had mine re tubed to an A grade now its nice and clear.

Good luck with your Archer, great bit of kit............Just had mine re tubed to an A grade now its nice and clear.

Can't wait,had 1 for 6 years and have really missed it.Been using the 800 as a stopgap until i got the NV back,but i think it will have it's uses.The red led works just like an extra IR source too through your NV,tried it and was pleasantly surprised.

Got an hour and a half out with it tonight before the moon came up or the rain came in. I saw no foxes (typical), but I was watching some sheep sat down on a hill 300-320 yards away. Now the circumstances were like this, clear enough air (as in relatively moisture free), dark, very closely grazed light green grass so the contrast was good. I believe, if a fox had appeared and cooperated I could have shot him at that range with the NM800.

Going to try it elsewhere at the earliest opportunity, blanket bog, withered light brown purple moor grass, rocks etc. That'll be a much tougher challenge. Also have a red LED to try and an IR LED to play around with my Yukon Digital Ranger.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a NM800IR that I use with my N750 complete with Dr Bobs Doubler - it's amazing !! I was watching a Fox last Friday night at least 600 yds away I could clearly identify it too.

I shot 3 in 10 mins from he same spot, they showed no signs what so ever of spooked by the Red Glow of the IR only by he crack of my Hmr

I have also found the onboard doubler is clear out to around 200yds using it - think it gives around 11x when used with the Dr Bobs Doubler.

hi john any update on how this light worked out

This is how it worked out for me, or didn't, I have no doubt it works for others.

One night I could see facial features of sheep clearly at about 280 yards. About 30 minutes later I missed two out of three rabbits with the .223 because they were hard to see :wacko:

Another night I shot two foxes with two different scope mounted lights. First I shot a vixen at 180 yards with my Crelant 7g5cs. Then I shot a big dog fox twice (angle error, my fault) 100 yards and again at 210 yards with the NM800.

I had it out on loan from a member of another forum, sent it back there before Christmas.

I didn't feel that I could depend on it in the same way that I could depend on my LF170. Yes, I know they are different lights, but I am after certain things before I am happy with a scope mounted light.

I think it's overly expensive given the same light can be got for $100 in the states.

It's a good torch that will work better for some than others I think.

This is how it worked out for me, or didn't, I have no doubt it works for others.

One night I could see facial features of sheep clearly at about 280 yards. About 30 minutes later I missed two out of three rabbits with the .223 because they were hard to see :wacko:

Another night I shot two foxes with two different scope mounted lights. First I shot a vixen at 180 yards with my Crelant 7g5cs. Then I shot a big dog fox twice (angle error, my fault) 100 yards and again at 210 yards with the NM800.

I had it out on loan from a member of another forum, sent it back there before Christmas.

I didn't feel that I could depend on it in the same way that I could depend on my LF170. Yes, I know they are different lights, but I am after certain things before I am happy with a scope mounted light.

I think it's overly expensive given the same light can be got for $100 in the states.

It's a good torch that will work better for some than others I think.

Evening john,was this with the red led or the white,i find the white gives better contrast than the red,but i assume you are talking about the white as the red led on the nm far outshines the red filter on the light force.Well it does on my lf170.Unfortunately there aint a magic torch yet.

dave

p.s going to see james(kind welshman)next week.

Evening john,was this with the red led or the white,i find the white gives better contrast than the red,but i assume you are talking about the white as the red led on the nm far outshines the red filter on the light force.Well it does on my lf170.Unfortunately there aint a magic torch yet.

dave

p.s going to see james(kind welshman)next week.

Do give that kind Welshman my regards :)

I used the white LED, just messed about with the red and IR from the house.

I'm awaiting developments elsewhere before sinking any more cash :blush: into this particular part of my shooting.

Hardly another breath drawn after saying that I've a HID conversion kit on it's way from the land down under. Supposed to give me more distance than 100W incandescent and draw 1/3rd of the power. I only see it as a stop gap move though, as I am totally head over heels impressed with my Thrunite TN31 as a spotter (too big to mount to the rifle unfortunately, but knocks the LF on it's ass when the packages are considered).

John, may I ask where you found the best/cheapest place for the Thrunite TN31.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I got mine from the Thrunite main store, I don't think I did an awful lot of looking around:

http://www.thrunite-store.com/outlet/two-kinds-of-torches-tn31-t10-a-bundle.html

Came with another little torch when I bought it (it was on sale then also except for $139 + freebie torch).

If you're minted check out this on CPF, same torch except it's been modified:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?350936-OSTS-TN31mb-Monster-Thrower

The TN31 is a very user friendly design I've found it awful easy to use, and it fits up my jacket sleeve on those bitter howlers of nights :lol: It never get's warm though which can be a pain lol.

Fantastic "spotter" IMO, well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am a bit new to all this night vision and illuminating business. Could someone clarify a couple of things for me ?

I have got an N750 and would like to get an IR illuminator for it. I have read alot about the NM800 and alot of guys seem to rate it highly. Is this unit a proper Infra Red unit ? And how does it compare to a proper Infra red Laser ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated before i take the plunge !!!!

Thanks,

Henry

Its a torch with interchangeable led lights and one is an IR,compared to a infra red laser, it gives a clearer sight picture, read the reviews for full info, by the way just take the plunge as it make the N750 as good as its going to be. !!

ATB

I sent mine back as well .No where as good as a 240 blitz on white light.They even sent me the up grade white LED for two batt's still not as good.Red LED 150 yards max in my opinion,everybody's eyes are different though.

I'm running a S&B 4x16 so there's nowt wrong there.

Not knocking the torch but its not for me..

mark

As I said on your other thread, it is the best illuminator currently available for digital NV, it may or may not be the best torch but it is the best illuminator.

The IR version uses a Osolon IR LED which produces IR light at about 850nm, this is not totally invisible you can cerainly see whem the torch is on when you look straight in it but it produces no visible beam. 850nm gives much more range than other more invisble wavelengths.

I have had one since they were first released and use it on my N750, I use it exclusively for foxing and I have been blown away by it's preformance when compared to old NV lasers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have taken the plunge and am now in possession of a N750 and NM800 IR.

I have to admit I have mixed feelings about the kit so far. Maybe you guys who have the same kit could offer some advice?

I have played with the settings on the N750 and the Torch and don't seem to be getting the clarity as shown by some of the videos posted by other members.

When I have the kit set up and have a Fluffy in sight i seem to get a hell of a glare from the eyes and it distorts the image to the point where I am unable to make out body work!!!!!!!!!

Can any of you advise me on settings you use for the N750 unit or NM 800 ir settings ?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally spend that kind of money on kit but in my opinion its the best light I've used gun mounted both white and IR solved the shine off the mod and the lack of wires/battery is very welcome I always seem to catch them on something with the white led I can see 450 yards maybe a bit more (hawke varmint 2, 6 to 24 on 10) if only I could shoot that far with the naked eye I've got eye shine over 600 my home made nv set up is the limiting factor with the ir led on the rifle but the out walking the dog I've been taking the nm800 ir led fitted with my gen one monocular and can easily see 350 400 yards the three mode setting comes in handy at any thing less than a hundred otherwise I find it loses contrast over powered by too much light. I spotted a fox at about 150 yds clear as day but it turned and went back the way it came not sure if it was the bright IR or scent from us it did react a bit like a lamp shy fox but I've not used nv enough to know if it was the light the fox didn't like I have to agree with other comments about the mount its not the best I'm looking for a better solution quick mount to swap from spotter to scope with adjustment on the scope if I work it out I'll let you know would I buy it again definitely next is a spare battery and extension tube then red and later amber led

Archived