Ballistic programs

Right guys

how do you find ballistic pograms, and by that I mean how close do they come to real world data, close enough or do they require a lot of tweeking

which do you find is the nearest one to the correct drops predicted for your round

The reason that I ask this is that whenever i check figures through the 3 or 4 ballistics programs that i have no two sets of numbers ever match up, close, but never match, or is it your opinion to take the average across all of the numbers from all of the programs

cheers

Ian

I have used this one in 6mmPPC and found it about right to 300 yards, it may be right at longer range just not tested it

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

It has the benifit of also showing the amount of clicks needed as well, IMHO better than Quick Target.

A

Ive used several ballistics programmes over the years, I have Sierra 5, Quickload, Peja Ballistics data and a couple of free downloads off the web.

By far the easiest (and most accurate) IMHO is Exbal by Perry Systems. It come in PC, Pocket PC and Palm versions, (ive both :) )

Out in the field the Palm version is what I use for extended ranges and its about cock on - so long as you know your exact BC and velocity.

Sometimes you have to alter the BC in the system to match the results in the field, but you wont be using a computer programme without checking real time results anyway....(or shouldnt)

Example of Exbal (sorry if ive used this B4) - took a mate to shoot 1000yds at Diggle with my 6.5x284 - had two different loads shot neither beyond 500 yards during testing. (142 SMK and 140 Bergers - big difference in BC bettween the two - and load velocity)

As I recall the SMK required 26 MOA come up and the Bergers a predicted 19 MOA at the same distance (predicted that is)

When I shot the SMK'a I was three inch low at 1000 (horizontal spread different story) and my mate who shot the Bergers was absolutely dead on vertically.

Ive used different rifles and loads on small furry things out to silly distances and been smack on - wouldnt use anything else.

(well I would, but cannot afford it - Advanced Ballistic Computer from Cheytac ;) )

I use big game too, its never spot on, but usually puts you on paper.It would help a lot if manufacturers of bullets were a little more truthful about ballistic coefficients.

Thanks Guys

Will look into Exbal, but for now will stick with the averaging and tweeking with real world data, not that you can not get away from the real world data as there are far too many variables to account for

Ian

Guest varmartin

duey..you right about the variables...here are a few tips that may help.

1. Measure your scope height exactly from centre of scope to centre of bore.

2. Add 10 -15 fps to your crono reading for a true muzzle velocity.

3. take 5% off the BC of all manufacturers quoted figures ( Berger are quite good for correct BC readings)

4.Weigh your bullets---you may be surprised !

5. Hold your breath when you squeeze the trigger ;)

Martin

Archived