Broke a Frosts

brown dog

Splitting some logs with my knife this morning (log on end; holding knife handle with one hand; whacking back of blade with a piece of wood, then continue to hold handle and whack tip of knife to drive the knife the length of the log).....and this happened :blink: .

frosts.jpg

Thought Frosts were virtually indestructible - first one I've broken; had always assumed they were full tang.

Grateful for thoughts for replacement (well, I've got about another 4 Frosts knocking about, but I'd like to get something that won't repeat this! - a full tang Frosts would be perfect)

Matt had same problem with same coloured knife using it the same as you (battoning)through a red stag rib cage. Mine split so it was still usable but a crack is a bacteria trap right?

Did a trawl round and found an interesting page that somebody had done, presumably a hospital radiographer as he had x ray'd numerous knives. The one above showed up just as you found out. Have a look for a Mora 2000 (has green handle as in link) as these do have a longer tang and courtesy of the x ray i bought them and found them ideal. They were cheaper from scandanavia with postage than scotland :wacko:

I didn't like the blade shape so took a grinder to it and made it more my prefered pointy shape to aid gutting.

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/knives/k-j-ericksson-frosts-mora-2000.htm

The blue ones have now been retired and are now my at home boning and skinning knives.

get an axe ! every real man should have an axe!

gransfors are excellent!

:lol:

Got a Fiskars hatchet; but I like just using a knife :ph34r: - done this hundreds of times, never had one break before

Now that Attleborough Accessories has disappeared; where's the go to place for these sorts of items?

Matt had same problem with same coloured knife using it the same as you (battoning)through a red stag rib cage. Mine split so it was still usable but a crack is a bacteria trap right?

Did a trawl round and found an interesting page that somebody had done, presumably a hospital radiographer as he had x ray'd numerous knives. The one above showed up just as you found out. Have a look for a Mora 2000 (has green handle as in link) as these do have a longer tang and courtesy of the x ray i bought them and found them ideal. They were cheaper from scandanavia with postage than scotland :wacko:

I didn't like the blade shape so took a grinder to it and made it more my prefered pointy shape to aid gutting.

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/knives/k-j-ericksson-frosts-mora-2000.htm

The blue ones have now been retired and are now my at home boning and skinning knives.

Posted at the same time; thanks Eldon, interesting coincidence! I'll have a look at the Mora. (Ahh, it's called 'Batoning' :blush: Didn't know that! :) )

Tackb funny you say that. I just bought myself, like you do from car boot sales :blink: one of these for £15 new unused ex MOD weighs a bit at 1.2 kg and 10 inch long but hey if your going to have one you might as well have a big un :lol:

It has a blade in the usual place but also on the end face, you certainly wouldn't want one of these in the back of your head :(

http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/cutlery/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=21019&osCsid=24074

Found it on one australian site for $180 aus dollars so a snip on the above site for $116 (£77):)

Can vouch for the Mora, had the same one for over 12 years now - worked on over 1000 deer when it was my fulltime employment. Never had an issue with the shape of the blade.

Only criticism is that the plastic ends on handle can harbour germs and shite if not sterilised properly.

Holds an edge like no other...

Grouse, nothing wrong with the blade shape as such just that I prefer a more fillet shaped end. In fact just had a look as I bought two at once and only modified one of them. Naturally my modified shape is better :lol: :lol:

Holds a good edge and feels nice in the hand. Put one of those "Smiths" yellow sharpeners in your drag bag and you are fully sorted.

Grouse, nothing wrong with the blade shape as such just that I prefer a more fillet shaped end. In fact just had a look as I bought two at once and only modified one of them. Naturally my modified shape is better :lol: :lol:

Holds a good edge and feels nice in the hand. Put one of those "Smiths" yellow sharpeners in your drag bag and you are fully sorted.

Been working my way through the Heinnie Haynes site. Too many brands and too many at 'knife enthusiast' rather than 'it's a tool' prices!

The Frost alternatives seem to boil down to Hultafors or Mora.

None of the knives of either brand seem to be full tang; and the 'tougher' options aren't stainless either.

Not sure there's any point in paying more for a Mora that still doesn't have a full tang? (I'm using these knives for bushcrafty type stuff, not gralloching, so whilst edge is important, strength is too)

Strongest looking knife design I've spotted is.....don't laugh........the Bear grylls sheath knife 'ultimate' but £67 here and only £24 ($40) in the States :blink: .

Here you are BD scroll down half a page to the x ray shot.

Yours is first down in pic and the Mora 2000 is 4th, sure you will agree this is an appreciable difference on a knife only just over £20 anyway I thought you were from Wiltshire not Yorkshire :lol:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=19586

As a side note BD, not exactly bushcrafty but last weekend after stalking, I re-mounted a door lock keep by chiseling out the door frame with my Mora knife, certainly up to alternative cutting and chopping out jobs.

Great pics. But I think I learnt today that half-tang is half tang :rolleyes::)

I have a bunch of Frosts scattered about the place including one each (with the points blunted) for each of my brats to use - so I'm not really looking at this through a 'one knife' lens.

I'm pretty stunned to have learnt today that all these knives (including the 'robust' versions by Hultafors and Mora) have weedy tangs - I was hoping (expecting :rolleyes: ) to find a similarly priced full tang alternatives. Oh well :(

You pays your money...you gets your knife is what I've learned and, although there are a lot of cheap and good knives and even more expensive useless knives, in the main the price reflects the quality and durability. I have found this, and although I don't have it, it looks like a reasonable knife and for a reasonable price

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Condor-Knives/Condor-Knives-Bushlore-Mini/p-92-130-6944/

Buck makes a good knife as well, something like the woodsman or special are quite good and easy to maintain.

best of luck!

Finman

Chaps,

Thanks for those excellent tips! :)

Panos - that condor looks excellent - I like the idea of a knife with a blade that some of the reviews say is 'to thick' - that's exactly what I'm after now that I'm a born again full-tang evangelist :lol:

(well, an 'on the cheap' born again full-tang evangelist :lol: The Fallkniven are spot on but too pricey for my needs - I've no doubt that one day I'd end up leaving it wherever it is I've left all my other knives over the years :rolleyes::lol: )

Prompted by all this chat, last night I went out and dug out a couple of things that have sat unloved for many years at the bottom of boxes:

Now this is what I call full tang:Wiltshire-20121031-00357.jpg

and this is how thick a blade should be: Wiltshire-20121031-00354.jpg

I've dispatched my man to the States for a sniff around the Bass pros etc for a decent cheap 'lump of steel full tang' I remember decades ago picking up blister pack Buck knives in the German px's that were no-money and spot on.

If not....I'm really taken with the price and look of Panos's Condor

Archived