ST "Right for the Night"

abolter

Got my copy of ST through today. I generally rarely read it. However there is an article on NV which made it seem quite interesting.

What a load of crap!! I have written to em

Dear Sirs

I noted with interest your article in the Lamping section and entitled “Right for the Night”. Fox shooting is my passion so I really looked forward to reading the article. What a disappointment!!

It is without question one of the worst pieces of review journalism I have ever read. You have allowed the author to belittle/criticise 2 pieces of equipment (Pulsar and Nightsight) whilst making ABSOLUTELY NO QUANTIFIABLE claims for the equipment he is reviewing.

He claims to have watched “rabbits feeding in acute detail” well before they were in range. Of What?? A catapult or centrefire rifle?? What distance? He claims to have watched foxes “fields away”, are we talking paddocks or 60 acre stubbles?

The picture of the rabbit in the article gives the impression it has been take through the scope of the unit. I am certain it has not.

Such uninformed, shoddy, lazy journalism is hard to excuse and a total waste of space in your magazine and in my time reading it. Worse still it might encourage people with little knowledge or experience to make a purchase of a product which, based on your article, has no stated facts to commend it.

I struggle to find anything worth reading in your magazine these days so to find something that is of interest then being so badly represented is a double blow.

Regards

I very rarely if ever believe any review article's I read in shooting mags, thats exatly why forums like this are so good!

+1

Most of the mags are so desperate for articles, they will accept them from absolutely anyone, experience is not essential.

They can write what they want about a product, the supplier is then usually browbeaten into taking advertising out, and hey presto ! The product is great.

Thats if you will put up with that kind of crap.

I wont.

Most of the mags are so desperate for articles, they will accept them from absolutely anyone, experience is not essential.

They can write what they want about a product, the supplier is then usually browbeaten into taking advertising out, and hey presto ! The product is great.

Thats if you will put up with that kind of crap.

I wont.

In the late 1980's I had the displeasure to meet the Shooting Times "Binocular Correspondent" as he styled himself.

He was a customer and I was the Zeiss binocular stockist in Bournemouth.

I won't bore you all with the in's and out's of the problems he caused me; but he knew absolutely nothing about binoculars.

The last time he graced me with his presense he told me that the Ziess 8x56 BGA bino's he had just bought had been wrongly collimated at the Wetzlar factory before being shipped to the UK.

Sometimes it's a good feeling to tell a complete knob never to darken your doorstep again!

Totally agree, all the shooting magazines are the same nowadays... Utter shite! Anyone no of a good one?

Well I'll stick my neck out and say you should try "NZ Hunter" magazine:

http://www.nzhunter.co.nz/

Greg tells me he plain refuses to endorse stuff that's crap. The mag has a highly varied content which will hold novelty for many of you guys. Check some back-issue details.

I have given various overseas guys subscriptions as a thank-you for helping me out and the feedback I've had is only very positive. "A breath of fresh air" is one comment. My friend in Germany has renewed his sub out of his own pocket as a result of his positive experience.

Chris-NZ

I must say the NZ-Hunter is different magazine. Well worth a read.

Of course not all is bad in our magazines but we seem to have a lower percentage of good articles.

The only contact I had to a review writer was regarding a review on our products. In this case I was

lucky that we came across a very keen and knowledgeable writer.

edi

Greg tells me he plain refuses to endorse stuff that's crap. The mag has a highly varied content which will hold novelty for many of you guys. Check some back-issue details.

I have given various overseas guys subscriptions as a thank-you for helping me out and the feedback I've had is only very positive. "A breath of fresh air" is one comment. My friend in Germany has renewed his sub out of his own pocket as a result of his positive experience.

Chris-NZ

Looks a good read Chris, anyone know of any good varminting magazines with plenty of fox or coyote shooting and a bit of longrange bunny/ vermin control and how to get hold of them? Cheers, Simon

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be a pain in the a--e, do you have any idea what month/s had the article about the short barreled Tikka? which I think you called a bush gun, I was looking at the website and it says there are back issues available so I thought it might be a good place to start my sub from,

Thanks

Moose

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be a pain in the a--e, do you have any idea what month/s had the article about the short barreled Tikka? which I think you called a bush gun, I was looking at the website and it says there are back issues available so I thought it might be a good place to start my sub from,

Thanks

Moose

Sorry not Chris,

I have the issue 23, July/August 2011, which has an article about a Ruger in 308 shortened to 16".

they reached up to 3035 FPS with 130GR TTSX and H335 powder. Mentioned a 16" 7-08 that reached

around 3000 fps with 120gr TTSX.

edi

Just out of bed.

Well spotted Edi- saved me rooting through the pile :D

Yeh, the Bush Pigs are all the go here. They can't build enough of them. Many guys that use them on guided hunts just have to have one apparently. I couldn't be more happy with mine, nor can my brother who got his done after seeing mine. One helluva compact package that really performs

For those that didn't see the pics previously, here it is

T3NewModEtcLoRes.jpg

BoltModified-1.jpg

120TTSXinT3-Mar12.jpg

Mine's the 7-08 version. The group was the only one I fired after loading to the specs provided. The Oehler 43 Lab strain gauge showed pressures on that load are fine and it's steaming along given the barrel length

Chris-NZ

On the Shooting times article: it was an unashamed plug for a product that's not even out yet. The author slags off the ns550 and states its a dedicated night site, misleading people into thinking it can't be used in the daytime. Of the nitesite ns200, which I have, as a glasses wearer I find it an advantage to shoot head up, its easier, the rifle is still in your shoulder, there's no issue. As for lighting up the shooter, I've found no issue with it, and I'm shooting on foot, I've called them in to 50 yards and less, with no obvious problem with foxes seeing me. I may too write in as the article was total c#$%.

Andy r

I think you should write in as it is only feedback that will help change things for the better.

As regards a good magazine, I subscribe to Hunting from the US and also Varmint Hunter magazine which has an online version. It fascinates me as American TV is terrible and designed for very short attention spans yet the magazines generally have much more content and detail than ours.

http://www.varminthunter.org/default.asp

Sorry not Chris,

I have the issue 23, July/August 2011, which has an article about a Ruger in 308 shortened to 16".

they reached up to 3035 FPS with 130GR TTSX and H335 powder. Mentioned a 16" 7-08 that reached

around 3000 fps with 120gr TTSX.

edi

Hi Edi,

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding the article, I will take out a sub and get the back issue as well,

Regards

Moose

Just out of bed.

Well spotted Edi- saved me rooting through the pile :D

Yeh, the Bush Pigs are all the go here. They can't build enough of them. Many guys that use them on guided hunts just have to have one apparently. I couldn't be more happy with mine, nor can my brother who got his done after seeing mine. One helluva compact package that really performs

For those that didn't see the pics previously, here it is

T3NewModEtcLoRes.jpg

BoltModified-1.jpg

120TTSXinT3-Mar12.jpg

Mine's the 7-08 version. The group was the only one I fired after loading to the specs provided. The Oehler 43 Lab strain gauge showed pressures on that load are fine and it's steaming along given the barrel length

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, for the ignorant amongst us can you tell me the reason for the second notch on the bolt,

Regards

Moose

OK, it's a notch so you can use the safety to lock the bolt on a "half-c*ck" notch that's been cut.

One weakness of the std T3 design is you can't have a round safely up the spout on half close without the risk of the bolt being pulled back by brush. I've lost a good four rounds in our thick bush this way..

These mods both lock the safety and hold the bolt on a chambered round on half-close (if you follow what I mean..)

Chris-NZ

OK, it's a notch so you can use the safety to lock the bolt on a "half-c*ck" notch that's been cut.

One weakness of the std T3 design is you can't have a round safely up the spout on half close without the risk of the bolt being pulled back by brush. I've lot a good four rounds in our thick bush this way..

These mods both lock the safety and hold the bolt on a chambered round on half-close (if you follow what I mean..)

Chris-NZ

I think I know what you mean Chris, thanks for the reply,

Regards

Moose

Archived