Cooking Kangaroo!

aJR

Hi all , Old Australian recipe for cooking the hind quarter of Red Kangaroo .. Put into large pot and cover with water , sprinkle with salt and pepper .. Add 6 medium sized rocks , now boil for an extended time till the rocks are soft,now eat the rocks and throw out the rest to the dogs ..JR.. Jeff Rogers

Same recipe for pukekos (swamp hens) here Jeff.

I fancy they might be slightly more tender than roos after the same cooking regimen.

My cuz in NSW says he'll take me roo shootin' up North when I'm next over there. He owes me after getting him a deer here :)

cheers

Chris-NZ

I had Roo in Oz few years back and it wasn't bad at all, it was in a pie if memory serves. Had Camel and Water Buff as well and they were both good eatin'

Thought F£ck all to Croc' though.... sort of fishy chicken.

The Jock's cook Capacallie by diggin'a hole, putting a well seasoned brick in the bottom with the Cappa' on top then filling it in for six months, before digging the whole mess up and eating the brick.....

What about for wallabies?

they're tasty :)

P1000356-1.jpg

that's one of the 6 we got that night and we only kept the hind legs. Ate them a couple of days later, sort of a venison steak taste, quite pleasant. They made a lot of sausages from them too, and they were tasty too!

best wishes,

Finman

Hi all , The reason i threw in the bit about the Big Red Kangaroo is because the adult males grow pretty big and are a tough as nails to eat .. A big fellow can stand 1.8 meters high and weight in from 90 through to 150 KGS .. The Wallaby's pictured are a lot smaller and more suitable for the pot .. I'd still pick on prawns/mudcrab or fish fresh caught as i live beside the Great Barrier Reef and it's plentiful and cheap ..JR

P1000356-1.jpg

that's one of the 6 we got that night and we only kept the hind legs. Ate them a couple of days later, sort of a venison steak taste, quite pleasant. They made a lot of sausages from them too, and they were tasty too!

best wishes,

Finman

Cool, we have a lot of them over here, did you just chop the legs of and steak them, oven cook yeh ?

Steve.

P1000356-1.jpg

best wishes,

Finman

i thought that mods (silencers) illegal in oz?

I always though Kangaroo was considered a delicacy.....obviously not! Just going off thread slightly me and the Mrs went out for tea the other night and I had an Ostrich steak which was VERY nice and supprisingly not that dear.

Hi all , The reason i threw in the bit about the Big Red Kangaroo is because the adult males grow pretty big and are a tough as nails to eat .. A big fellow can stand 1.8 meters high and weight in from 90 through to 150 KGS .. The Wallaby's pictured are a lot smaller and more suitable for the pot .. I'd still pick on prawns/mudcrab or fish fresh caught as i live beside the Great Barrier Reef and it's plentiful and cheap ..JR ps pic of a beach near my home in Nth AUST

You obviously photoshopped the salties out of the photo :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived