17 hornet, problems already

jeffo223

I went to Carlton moor for the 17 hornet day on Saturday.I got there first thing as was the first to try the laminate stocked rifle, first few shots (4) where all over the place but settled down on the next mag, then I tried the plastic stock, shot just as good but didn't like the stock itself. My dad did the same as me and we both thought the laminate was the nicer rifle. We then went for a brew and a chat with some of the other people there. By then quite a lot of people had used the rifles, I wanted to go back down the tunnels to have another go now that they had been"used". I had to wait for the tunnel to come free but on the other lane the plastic stocked rifle was going completely pear shaped. It wasn't ejecting cases and they where getting stuck in the chamber. The laminate rifle then started to mess around but not as bad. They then took the plastic on off use while they tried to fix it, they said it was being caused by a build up of dirt/brass shaving bits on the bolt head, I was slightly sceptical. I got to 're try the laminate stock rifle again, i put 8 rounds through it again with no problems at all. The plastic one was now having the bolt stripped down. On my go with the laminate rifle I really wanted to see what it would group like compared to my hmr, I was VERY IMPRESSED, I managed a four shot group through the same hole, the Edgar brother chap sitting beside me could not believe it and the guy going after me was amazed! I am now REALLY thinking of getting one of these calibers but when I went outside side for a chat with oneof the lads there, the German guy with Edgar brothers was using a file on the bolt to sort the other rifle out. Not the best way to show a new rifle/caliber off, I am still impressed but has anyone seen any problems when they where at a demo day . It grouped better than my hmr, seems to have some good options with bullet weights, seems to be cheaper to run with reloading BUT is the bolt issue the start of things to come? Or wait for a sako or tika rifle if they are doing one?

Jeffo, I was the ginger lad outside whilst the German chap had his vice out :lol:

I also attended the road show. I must say I set off with scepticism of the round. Where would it fit in the armoury. Is it really going to be better than the 17HMR or be able to compete with a .222 or .223 as a lamping round?

well in my opinion the answer is no it won't compete with the .22 C/F if you already have one in your cabinet. But if your lamping requires low noise, the same recoil as the HMR, at ranges of 200 yards then I think it is a candidate.

The ability to reload the .17 HH will make it a contender with the HMR due to rising ammo costs. The extra 1000fps will take care of the wind which the HMR gets slated for. Certainly the accuracy I managed to achieve today would be head shot rabbits at 100 yards. I put 4 rounds through the same hole. This is with a rifle that has had several hundred rounds down it without a clean. This was something I was interested in due to reading about accuracy drop off in the bigger C/F .17's. The .17HH moderated exceedingly well, the report not much greater than the HMR and far less than the .22 C/F's.

In conclusion I was impressed with the calibre. As the owner of a .20 cal C/F there is no room for it in my cabinet. However had I shot one prior to that purchase it would be on the shopping list. This is what the HMR should have been. wwell in. Ots os also going to be a cracking crow basher where y opinion the answer is no it won't compete with the .22 C/F if you already have one in your cabinet. But if your lamping requires low noise, the same recoil as the HMR, at ranges of 200 yards then I think it is a candidate. It will certainly be a lovely 250 yard crow killer. I have heard it described as the perfect keepers round which I certainly can see.

I will keep comments about the rifle brief. I found the laminate stock well balanced and liked the flat bottom of the forend. This will make shooting from the truck window stable. The trigger pull was crisp, the accutrigger is certainly something to get used to though. The central blade does give the illusion of a long trigger pull. The road show rifles are at the end of a uk tour and have had a hard few weeks. The accuracy was outstanding.

Over all I think the .17HH has a market. I would wait for a CZ/Ruger/Sako....

Jeffo, I was the ginger lad outside whilst the German chap had his vice out :lol:

Over all I think the .17HH has a market. I would wait for a CZ/Ruger/Sako....

WHAT market?it may be and will be, a very small one.i think this is overhyped to say the least.the round already exists in a few guises and nobody has re-invented a better mouse trap .i think the cz would be the best of the rest if sako bring one out they will be taking a big gamble.my personal choice of small cal rifles are.17rem-.17fb i have both.

if we give it 2yrs then see where its at then i think we can judge.

Gary, I think this will be a lot more popular than a fireball or a rem as it doesn't seem to have any barrel issues, loss of accuracy or wear, I know wear is early doors yet. Scotch egg, it was VERY amusing to see the German chap with the gun in bits and fileing the rifle bolt down but concerning at the same time puts you off a savage!!

Gary, I think this will be a lot more popular than a fireball or a rem as it doesn't seem to have any barrel issues, loss of accuracy or wear, I know wear is early doors yet. Scotch egg, it was VERY amusing to see the German chap with the gun in bits and fileing the rifle bolt down but concerning at the same time puts you off a savage!!

like i say-lets look back in 2yrs time then judge it-whos making dies?will brass for reloading be available-or will it be factory fodder -to reload.

agree on the german guy-sounds like a carry on script.

as for barrel issues neither the .17rem or fb have issues-my rem is a tikka with a lilja and my fb is a cooper -wilson barrel. the only issues are raised by folk who have never owned one.

Archived