Stock making machine

Right, here we go.

As some of you may know, I developed a machine to make rifle stocks and to inlet for actions.

As I have always said, I did not build the machine as a business venture, it was merely to make stocks for my own, and friends rifles, and as a project.

It has undergone various design changes to get to the finished machine, and I am now more than satisfied with its accuracy and function.

I have made several stocks of differing designs, and inlet a range of actions with very pleasing results, most of which have been shown on here from time to time.

I have decided to sell the complete machine including tooling, spindle motor, inletting fixture (including cross vices), some walnut stock blanks, laminate material and various template stocks, which I have made. These include F-class designs, sporter, thumbholes, McMillan A3/A5 style etc.

The tooling included will consist of cutters and relevant stylus, hand tools for adjustments, centreing tool, cross vices, and a selection of bolts and extrusion nuts to fit the extrusion profile that the machine frame is made of.

The spindle motor is included also, it is a trend router and will come with all collets and accessories.

About the machine

It is constructed of aluminium proflie extrusion, for strength, rigidity and versitility.

The stock and blank can be held in the machine in two ways, firstly between rotating centres for 360 degree copying, or in the cross vices, attached to the inletting fixture.

The rotating centres and joined by two mitre gearboxes (which were VERY expensive, I daren't even say how much!) with zero backlash for very accurate rotating of blank and master stock in perfect unison.

The tailstock can move the length of the machine, so that any size workpiece can be installed.

The router and stylus are mounted on a steel box section frame, which moves on four linear roller bearing blocks, on two 20mm diameter supported rails.

A spindle counterbalance could be fitted to a leg on the back of the carriage frame, but to be honest, it moves very easily and freely, with such little effort without it, I have never bothered.

Pictures:

Machine overview

IMG-20120926-00460.jpg

showing inletting fixture fitted, and rotating centres/gearboxes

IMG-20120926-00457.jpg

spindle and stylus carriage

IMG-20120926-00459.jpg

IMG-20120926-00455.jpg

a stock in the process

IMG-20120429-00280.jpg

another

IMG00174-20100922-1735.jpg

a finished stock on rifle

SDC14672.jpg

another

IMG-20120617-00332.jpg

a tikka inlet

IMG00083-20100801-1436.jpg

I am selling this machine as a stock copying machine, as that is what I designed it as, but it could also be used for various other purposes.

Guitar body making? copying anything wood, or with a motor connected to either of the spare output shafts of the gearboxes, the blank and mastr could be spun, and therefore it could produce spindles etc. The possibilities are endless

If anyone is genuinely interested, then I will give tuition on how the machine is set up and used, if they are willing to travel and see it here.

I am asking £1750 for everything mentioned, but am open to sensible offers

It will be everything that you would need to start making stocks straight away.

Any more info, please contact me by pm and i will give you my mobile number

Cheers for looking

Paul

Archived