PRAIRIE DOGS

nemasis243

Hi there has anyone been over to the USA to do any varmint shooting especially Prairie Dogs if so any info on the outfitters you used and the sort of cost to shoot ? ;)

i think it was dogfox on here that has been last year. Been thinking about it myself for a while, but not this summer maybe next, would be great fun.

i think it was dogfox on here that has been last year. Been thinking about it myself for a while, but not this summer maybe next, would be great fun.

Yep next year is the plan for me have another mate who may be up for it you would be more than welcome to tag along and anyone else will do a bit of home work and see what comes up,I dnt think its that expensive just the hastle of getting there as a lot of the places are well out off the beaten track, will keep you posted cheers Andy ;)

Yep next year is the plan for me have another mate who may be up for it you would be more than welcome to tag along and anyone else will do a bit of home work and see what comes up,I dnt think its that expensive just the hastle of getting there as a lot of the places are well out off the beaten track, will keep you posted cheers Andy ;)

Thanks for the offer Andy and I will be sure to keep it in mind as at the minute it would be me on my own going ;) the only thing I worry about is ammo, i dont know if you can carry ammo on the plane and if not I would have to bring basic loading gear with me, which wouldnt be a big deal just another hassle, though I suppose you would need at least 1000 rounds so maybe bringing basic loading kit and buying powder, primers and bullet heads over there wouldnt be bad and load in the hotel/motel, I suppose that all you need is the arbor press, dies, priming tool and powder measure, also for cleaning you could probably just buy a riod and solvent over there to save transporting it all on the plane. God it would be some fun sitting in a "dog town" blasting off all day, I am used to shooting a couple of rabbits and going home.

Hi,

I have been out 3 times now shooting Richardson Ground Squirrels ( they are a lot smaller than Prairie Dogs ) . I was lucky as I went with Don Scott who makes the Dog-gone-good shooting bags and he provided me with an excellent selection of rifles and as much ammo as I needed.

We shot in Eastern Oregon in a few different areas - Burns and Christmas valley being a couple of them.

We shot for 3 full days and got through around 1400 rounds of centrefire ammo !

While out there I went to the Leupold , Nosler and Warne factories.

When I have flown out there I have flown to Portland via either Chicago , Los Angeles or San Francisco. I will have a word with Don to see if he knows of any good outfitters. ( It may take a while as he is laid up waiting for a new hip at the moment )

I can guarantee that you will thoroughly enjoy yourself - I did and so did Nick (20PPC) when he came with me on my 2nd visit.

Hi nemasis243

I went last year with a friend who lives in the USA and he sorted out the sites we shot on. I would look at the varmint hunter magazine for outfitters.We paid a small fee of $20 -$50 a day to shoot on the farms and we stayed on a local ranch to where we shot. We went shooting in South Dakota which is a target rich enviroment for PDs.

The staying at the ranch was great fun and the rancher took me out in his plane to have a look around.

dscn0657at2.jpg

Shot with E3100 at 2007-06-12

The mounds you can see are the PD town. Each of the mounds would have up to eight pd,s on it. I would go in the end of May to June, because that is when you get the young prairie dogs out and the most shooting.

You can only carry 5 Kg of ammo on a plane which was about 300 rounds for my 6Br pistol. I had a 22.250 rifle in the states which I also used and I tried a few others guns out which belong to the two guys I was shooting with :angry: .

dscn0671sh3.jpg

Shot with E3100 at 2007-06-11

I brought all my ammo over there because it is along day out in the field and I did not feel like loading when I got back. I would say that you should be looking at shooting about 300 plus rounds a day each if you go over.

When I go again I will take my 6Br pistol and two rifles.One being a 220 swift and the other a 17 hmr.I would load up and take my 6Br ammo and buy the 220 swift and 17hmr over there.

Dogfox

It's odd. I shoot prairiedogs nearly every day (got 8 yesterday in their woolly winter coats) and can't imaging paying someone for the privilege of shooting them. Where I live in s. Central MT, the most shooting I did in one day was 40 -odd rounds. The cover is thick, the terrain broken, and the dogs wary. You hear them barking 20 minutes before you finally locate them with binocs! ~Andrew

It's odd. I shoot prairiedogs nearly every day (got 8 yesterday in their woolly winter coats) and can't imaging paying someone for the privilege of shooting them. Where I live in s. Central MT, the most shooting I did in one day was 40 -odd rounds. The cover is thick, the terrain broken, and the dogs wary. You hear them barking 20 minutes before you finally locate them with binocs! ~Andrew

Andrew you are very lucky to have that on your doorstep. I have to admit though the hunting on my own doorstep isnt bad I get alot of crow shooting they land out to 400 yards (havent tried one that far yet) I can shoot them from my back yard but its not the sort of target rich enviroment you would get in a dog town, I wold maybe only fire 3-5 shots in a day and I could probably only get away with it twice a week or they would get wary, obviously I have plenty of other places to hunt as well but crows are my favorite. I think its also a case of the grass is always greener as well + its something different.

Archived