Tactical build

ANDY T

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I detect a repetitive 'holier than thou' inverse snobbery?

Let's try an analogy:

Profile: 911 Porsches.

911 Porsches? What's wrong with a Ford Focus?

Does everything a car needs to do.

Porsches are for James Hunt wannabes. Or 'compensation' for a lack of snake.

....recognise that pattern of reasoning? ;):rolleyes:

You don't like tactical rifles. That's fine. But please don't be boring about it :)

My first thoughts were to tell you to go forth and multiply ! But then I saw the smileys and thought ok it's tongue in cheek he's not really a chopper !(although I've not met you yet I've been hoping to meet you at a quarry challenge ?)

I love 911's , drive one (as well as a 4x4 everyday) and to be honest much as I'd love to be (or rather been) James hunt I'm neither rich enough , charismatic enough or a good enough driver !

You couldn't be further from the truth either about me not liking tactical rifles , most of mine are !

So I say again , if your life depends on it working under duress get an AI ,well proven isn't in doubt? Otherwise get a rifle you like that's built from proven components in the style you like ?

Are jewels that finicky?

Can be!.

First 'Tacticool' rifle I put together for comps was built on 'what the internet said' etc. Did a couple of comps just fine. The first comp where things were a bit rough, dirt, dust relative large change of temps my Jewell (and all the others present) gave trouble. Very good triggers but I'd not stake too much on one. At the time of failure was advised not to use, and have had other input from a smith who's work is 75% LEO and marshal based = knows what works. I do have a Jewell in a 'closet queen' though :) about as crisp as you can get.

Re. snipers hide - ain't what it used to be.

Re. TacB - it's a free world, do what ever you want, just don't 'diss' others 'cause they don't fit yours - as they say 'walk a mile in someone's shoes' (because you'd be at least a mile from them AND have their shoes!! )

T

Can be!.

First 'Tacticool' rifle I put together for comps was built on 'what the internet said' etc. Did a couple of comps just fine. The first comp where things were a bit rough, dirt, dust relative large change of temps my Jewell (and all the others present) gave trouble. Very good triggers but I'd not stake too much on one. At the time of failure was advised not to use, and have had other input from a smith who's work is 75% LEO and marshal based = knows what works. I do have a Jewell in a 'closet queen' though :) about as crisp as you can get.

Re. snipers hide - ain't what it used to be.

Re. TacB - it's a free world, do what ever you want, just don't 'diss' others 'cause they don't fit yours - as they say 'walk a mile in someone's shoes' (because you'd be at least a mile from them AND have their shoes!! )

T

Just checked , no dissing going on here ? Bit of humour and my take on an answer for the op ? I'll sit down at some point and list my wish list for the op .

You want a rem 700 hook up trigger that works in all weathers / conditions - go with the Shilen unit or a CG.

Used em both extensively on my previous stalking a tactical rifles (BAT and 700's) used in real crappy conditions, never failed.

Ive had a Shilen unit on my primary stalking gun for the last 7 yrs (3rd re barrel barrel since built), the trigger is as good now as it was when I bought it.

The rifles been used in all weathers and dropped into a 4 ft deep water filled dyke last year when I slipped crossing it.

I shot two hinds twenty mins later after a drain out and pull through.

Bet I couldnt have done that with a Jewel

Interesting reading, I really prefer 2 stage triggers but after 2 were acquired for sporting builds the CG didn't function well and have been swapped out for jewels. More than happy with that solution on the sporting rifles. Have my first paper biased rifle coming and wanted the trigger to be the same ( I find it a benefit if the pulls and pressure are the same) so went for a jewell. The days of me crawling through shite and streams is past me thnkfully but I still wouldn't like finikety. On the plus side easily to replace and good resale value if it does ever need changing.

The result for me albeit in 300wm flavour after seriously considering the DTA SRS and AW went for a more budget build with acis viper skins, stiller tac300 actions and a flutted Palma contour border cut barrel. Might not have the same kudos as the factory offerings but it hard to argue against the value for money.

Youll be more than happy with the Stiller.

Ive just sent one to proof in 6.5x284 thats for "hard to reach" deer, its a lovely action, just keep the lugs greased...

CG triggers - if they are badly adjusted they are a pain, to get back functional.

However as a two stage unit, they are a lovely , crisp and importantly sealed unit,,

The key point in the subject is just how much abuse the gun will be subjected to , weather and dirt wise. Its then a trade off between pure functionality and trigger pull quality and feel.

I,ve replaced two timneys that failed during the last week and they were horrible triggers. The pull was awful.

Nothing beats a jewel for "feel" but they like to be clean. Its not usually the weather that causes problems, its too much lubricant on the bolts cocking piece/cocking ramp. It finds its way straight into the top of the sear and attract dust immediately.

If you want a pretty failsafe trigger with a nice pull, go for an old style remington that has been proffessionally reworked.

I,ve just bought 20 jewels. I sell them 10 to one against other makes and i can recall only a couple failing in years. The bin of dead triggers contains many timneys, rifle basix , one CG and two brand new Kelbly,s that simply refuse to work safely.

You pays your money and takes your choice.....

All my rifles have Jewels and whilst I am not in the habit of crawling through ponds and ditches I have never had a problem come rain or shine.

could be arranged :-P

I think that i had quite enough roughing it with a Quad pedal jammed up my backside at the last MQC (should raise a few comments!)

At the risk of going way off topic there were quite a few people who became intimately familiar with that quad over the weekend.

Not painting a good picture of the quarry are we :rolleyes: .

At the risk of going way off topic there were quite a few people who became intimately familiar with that quad over the weekend.

Not painting a good picture of the quarry are we :rolleyes: .

Is it not even more realistic if the 'quarry' can bite back?

Gbal

could be arranged :-P

It certainly can!

No need to travel to Czech - there is a river, lake, marshes (complete with cattle eating bog), private tor with abseiling points, woods and even a 100m half submerged concrete pipe to crawl through at the Roundhouse......Although I think I may be pushing it with all that in one stage to start the day :D

Back roughly on topic - I've had a few TRG's and have equally found under adverse conditions the triggers go wrong. Carrying a spare trigger unit is easy (though not ideal...) to fit, due to the single externally accessible allen bolt that holds the unit. The whole trigger unit can be swapped over in under 90 seconds. PCal on here does the same.

Due to (in no small part) the TRG trigger issue, I have changed my everyday carry rifle over to an AIAE MKIII (same bolt/trigger as AW's), and kept the TRG 42 for more static orientated shooting.

Archived