Tactical build

ANDY T

BD

The Velco on the rifle matches the opposite gender Velcro on the magazine, you have to remove the mag when moving about on a stage, to save putting the mag in a pouch etc. you simply remove the mag and 'slap' it ont to rifle, move position and then rip it and put it back in. This saves time fumbling about with drop pouches (that might already contain empty mags) and leaves one hand completly free.

Tony,

Yes also used a LeRue OBR (accurate 308 semi-auto) over the same distances, plus a slew of handguns, bum job, but someones got to do it :lol:

Terry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactical- such a silly term

Possibly true in the UK as there are no 'tactical' comps (i.e. where you have options as to how you shoot/move/engage targets, in what order etc.).

Hence the 'Tacticool' designation :ph34r: , looks like it can but willl never be used for this purpose, like folks fitting the M4 barrels to straight pulls when they will never see a 40mm grenade launcher :P

Terry

Will try to modify the RBL Shoot to make it as "select your own target" as possible but shooting on KD Ranges is a little limiting. Hopefully bringing some steel targets back from the USA that we might (outside chance and not asked yet) get permission to shoot at Bisley.

I think the idea is to stabilise the temperature of the barrel after the intitial warmup cycle. The theory is that the continuous cycle of heating and cooling actually causes more wear than a barrel being shot at an elevated temperature.

Maybe we should ask the nice F1 pit crews if we can borrow their tyre warmers, It's not going to be long until the F class line are covered in them me thinks. B)

Regarding actions, any decent action will work but of course customs are nicer, and have some features that may help in accuracy.

Barrel, I´d go with a LW, 22", short enough to be handled with ease and not as short as to lose a lot of velocity as compared to longer barrels.

Stock.- no doubt I would go with an Etac. An AI chassis is in my opinion too heavy for some uses. The Etac has a nice pistol grip and forend and will take a lot of abuse.

• 1 year later...

Here is what I ended up with, rifle work done by Osprey Rifles:) Surgeon XL action in 308 win, 30 inch barrel 1.11, NXS + BORS system and Miks Stock slightly tailored, still fresh from the oven:))) gonna give it a run this week hopefully.

407728813.jpg

Looks good, the XL is a very strong base to build on (if a little big for .473" bolt faced cartridges), if you get a replacement bolt you could go 338 too..

Sure it will shoot if Stuarts built it..

Hi,

For all of the UK shooting, get an AI AE. Out of the box tactical with a excellent resale if ever needed.

I'm using mine for a while then may swap for an AR15. Always wanted an AR. :-)

Andy, you're waiting on delivery of your AI AW in .260 Remington. If ever there was a perfect tactical rifle and cartridge I'd say this will fit the bill nicely unless you're set on .308. If this is the case why not get a 308 barrel for it and have Sporting Services change barrels for you as needed.

I understand the cost is minimal because the AW is supposedly easy to change barrels on with the correct kit.

Alot of great reviews on the sako TRG22

Great rifle, if you can live with the trigger that doesnt like dirt and fails at in opportune moments, then theres the mega priced bipod and magazines....

They do shoot well when theyre working though.

:)

this is easy ,

wannabe police marksman ? paint it black and have black bags and kit

wannabe army sniper ? have everything in camo including your rifle

SIMPLES !

this is easy ,

wannabe police marksman ? paint it black and have black bags and kit

wannabe army sniper ? have everything in camo including your rifle

SIMPLES !

'bout sums it up! :)

(but if your 'police' you must wear Danner's)

Terry

Still waiting for sporting services they say boarder barrels keep letting him down with delivery of the 260 barrel should of been here weeks ago.

Not really in any hurry now as I have just found out that I need another spinal operation so it will be months before I can shot it. Hyho life's a bitch.

Great rifle, if you can live with the trigger that doesnt like dirt and fails at in

opportune moments, then theres the mega priced bipod and magazines....

They do shoot well when theyre working though.

:)

LOL WHAT TRIGGER LIKES DIRT Maybe you got a Friday gun. not heard many complain about the TRG trigger on snipers hide

LOL WHAT TRIGGER LIKES DIRT Maybe you got a Friday gun. not heard many complain about the TRG trigger on snipers hide

The lock-up of TRG triggers is a notorious weakness of an otherwise excellent rifle.

Well, that and the fact that it's also notorious for stocks breaking at the pistol grip.

If you speak to a mass of professional users (such as UK and foreign police users and foreign armed forces) you'll hear the same gripe often repeated. Not sure snipers hide is a definitive primary research tool. ;):)

ask your self if you need to jump out of aeroplanes in the dark or spend long durations away from civilization with your life depending on the reliability of your rifle or are you going to nanny it along and shoot comps on ranges etc (be honest!)

that will narrow your choice down considerably !

I (like a few others here) use my rifles for comps and real world stalking

Im not talking about trapping up at the firing point at Bisely, taking it out of the case and popping a few rounds down range...

Ive seen two TRG's breakdown in comps in the Czech Republic (triggers)

Snipers Hide,,,the definitive professional marksman's website,,,,,,,hmm

Ive not had many rifles breakdown on me, despite putting 00's rounds a year down range and taking high 80's /annum deer in all weathers and conditions.

I use AI coz they work and don't break, I wouldn't have the same confidence in a TRG for the reasons stated in Matts post.

Each to his own.

ask your self if you need to jump out of aeroplanes in the dark or spend long durations away from civilization with your life depending on the reliability of your rifle or are you going to nanny it along and shoot comps on ranges etc (be honest!)

TacB,

I'm in the middle, if I'm spending a reasonable amount of beer tokens to travel to a different country to shoot a comp then the rifle needs to go 'bang' when requested :).

So no Jewell fitted and listen to smiths who build rifles for people who do pin their lives on them = happy chappy. (but still take a spare trigger and firing pin assembly with me )

T

Do I detect a repetitive 'holier than thou' inverse snobbery?

Let's try an analogy:

Profile: 911 Porsches.

911 Porsches? What's wrong with a Ford Focus?

Does everything a car needs to do.

Porsches are for James Hunt wannabes.

Or 'compensation' for a lack of snake.

Clearly I don't think that (!) but....recognise that pattern of reasoning? ;):rolleyes:

It'd be pretty dull if I turned up on a performance car enthusiasts website and repetitively inferred that anyone driving something with more performance than a ford focus was a James Hunt wannabee. Not clear why anyone would feel the need to do that.

You don't like tactical rifles. That's fine. But please don't be boring about it :)

Archived