Tactical build

ANDY T

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1348393375[/url]' post='132360']

Hi

I am looking at building or buy a new tactical rifle in 308 win.

What would you use if you were to build or buy one with money limit . What action, barrel,trigger, stock, etc etc

Andy

Do you mean tactical or tacticool?

Tacticool is pretty easy, just choose whatever components you have seen on the Internet and bung them in a synthetic stock, have them painted green or another suitably military looking colour and go off to play in "The Field" (wherever this Bloody field isbiggrin.gif)

A true tactical rifle that will shoot a consistent 1moa with factory ammo regardless of whether it is filed with dust and, or frozen in water is a bit different. In which case I would just get an AW.

If it were a tactical rifle I would have the following spec.

Surgeon Action (I like the fact it has picatinny rail and recoil lug all built in)

A3/5 Stock. (I have hod one before and thought it a little heavy but very comfortable and user friendly)

jewel trigger (I know Brown Dog doesn't like them, but I do)

Kreiger barrel. (Had one before, it shot incredible groups and cleaned very easily)

Ditto that.... but also consider the Valkyrie action as an available and just as good alternative.

If you want to buy off the shelf then go get an AI.

If you are on a smaller budget then T3 action and a good barrel, Border, Lothar, Truflite etc

If you want full custom then a Stiller, Ratel, Valkyrie or similar action with a good barrel.

Do you mean tactical or tacticool?

Tacticool is pretty easy, just choose whatever components you have seen on the Internet and bung them in a synthetic stock, have them painted green or another suitably military looking colour and go off to play in "The Field" (wherever this Bloody field isbiggrin.gif)

A true tactical rifle that will shoot a consistent 1moa with factory ammo regardless of whether it is filed with dust and, or frozen in water is a bit different. In which case I would just get an AW.

Always must shoot a consistently over looks.

Andy

I promised myself a tactical rifle this year, ended up with an AI AE, selected for quality, consistency, reliability and resale value if i decide its not for me. Just have to decide now to keep as .308 or cheat and change to 47 lap!

Andy,

If you are stuck on a 308 then any of the AI rifles are good out the box. ( TRG possibly)

If you want a custom 308 that is 'tactical' then look at the build spec offered by US gunsmiths who build for LEO etc. over there and have a similar item built here ( BTW barrels tend to be trendy, any good make will do )

If you go with a better cartridge then both of the above still apply, just choose a cartridge from the current crop of 'wind cheeters' (as the good old 308 is a glittery brick in comparison :) )

If you just want a 'green' rifle to shoot on UK ranges then as already pointed out pick to coolest stuff off the internet and have someone put it together for you. :ph34r:

Terry

I build more "tactical" rifles than anything else.

Most customers want a rifle from nice, quality components that they can shoot most comps with and compete, which usually entails a mag system etc. Plus they want a military style paint job, whether it be green, black, cammo , whatever. Pick your list of components basically.

What i will say regarding actions, particularly the surgeon, is that it was designed, and is made with a true tactical rifle build in mind. By that i mean it will operate in ANY conditions. You only get that from an action that is built "loose" Its tolerances are not tight, nor are they particularly accurate. Dont take that the wrong way. I,ve built some amazingly accurate rifles on this action, and will continue to , but top engineered they are not, because they were not designed to be. I did a side by side comparison with the micrometers, depth guages etc, when my action was released, and mine blinded the surgeon tolerance-wise.The surgeon is now a ridiculous price too.

That just goes to show what crap is sometimes spouted when it comes to tolerances etc. Put together squarely, most guns will shoot despite having sloppy tolerances. Look at a std remington/howa/cz/etc.

The point i,m trying to make here, is that a blueprinted remmy , or a std tikka will make an excellent base for a true tactical gun, because they are "loose" and will function just about anywhere, should the need arise.

I,m considering building a lightweight, short barrelled tikka with a 10 round system for a practical rifle myself. Mainly because no matter how you abuse them, they will feed reliably, slow, fast or stupid fast, under any conditions, in any position. Plus it doesn,t hurt as much throwing them about.

The older you get , the more lightweight guns appeal. :lol:

I sold my tactical rifle recently.

I'm just planning the next one, main thing.... it must be lighter.

Hope to go remmy action, aics mag system, 20" 308 straight taper carbon wrapped barrel (if I get around to making one).

Before we start we'll go through all details to save weight, also make an ultra ultra light E-Tac stock. Saying that it must be

ultra robust too as it'll mainly be used for hunting in the hills.

edi

Ejg223 are you considering making carbon wrapped barrels for sale?

Danny,

no, not yet anyway. But I am interested in trying out a few things.

I know carbon wrapped barrels generally have a bad reputation and I believe

it is because one pushes the boat out a bit too far. Also I would like

to try improve heat conductivity with a few tricks.

So at the moment just for fun...

edi

Please keep us posted mate. I think there would be. A Market for carbon wrapped barrels if as you point out you can solve the heat conductivity out.

Ha ha, and there is a target rifle builder in germany working the other way.

They are insulating barrels to build up a certain temperatur, maintaining the barrels last longer and

shot to shot consistancy is better. These rifles are built a little like tube rifles.

sorry for the off topic.

edi

1348499478[/url]' post='132505']

Interesting mate! I'm no metallurgist but I would have thought that heat is not the friend of longevity!

I think the idea is to stabilise the temperature of the barrel after the intitial warmup cycle. The theory is that the continuous cycle of heating and cooling actually causes more wear than a barrel being shot at an elevated temperature.

I think the idea is to stabilise the temperature of the barrel after the intitial warmup cycle. The theory is that the continuous cycle of heating and cooling actually causes more wear than a barrel being shot at an elevated temperature.

I think warmer steel is less stiff (E module drops) and will crack less when expanding and contracting due to temperature differences and expansion stress.

Thermal shock behaviour gets better at higher temperatures. Thermal shock = fire cracking

Not sure if one can translate this on the net. Barrel wear H.P.Sigg

edi

What i will say regarding actions, particularly the surgeon, is that it was designed, and is made with a true tactical rifle build in mind. By that i mean it will operate in ANY conditions. You only get that from an action that is built "loose" Its tolerances are not tight, nor are they particularly accurate. Dont take that the wrong way. I,ve built some amazingly accurate rifles on this action, and will continue to , but top engineered they are not, because they were not designed to be. I did a side by side comparison with the micrometers, depth guages etc, when my action was released, and mine blinded the surgeon tolerance-wise.The surgeon is now a ridiculous price too.

That just goes to show what crap is sometimes spouted when it comes to tolerances etc. Put together squarely, most guns will shoot despite having sloppy tolerances. Look at a std remington/howa/cz/etc.

The point i,m trying to make here, is that a blueprinted remmy , or a std tikka will make an excellent base for a true tactical gun, because they are "loose" and will function just about anywhere, should the need arise.

AIs are built to very tight tolerances and they function very well with a wide variety of ammunition.. They're designed so that barrels can be swapped between rifles (AW to AW or AE, AE can't go to AW) without the need to be headspaced.

Andy - I'd say go for an AI - either an AW or an AX. The AE is good but the action isn't as strong as the AW or AX - don't try the infamous AI bounce test with an AE!!

AI,s are exactly the opposite ! They are Milspec rifles which mean they must function with anything , under any condition. They are so accurate due to a variety of reasons. The long barrel tenon being one. The lug set up being another .The action bonded to the chassis etc, but certainly not tight tolerances.

People have this misconception that tight tolerances must equal accuracy.....not always so. [within reason ]

There is 0.004 of an inch between go and no-go. Thats not tight toleranced, and is the only way you can have a switch barrel....there has to be some leeway.

Replacing a barrel, done up in a barrel vice, by different people with different strengths is a recipie for disaster without using headspace guages, regardless of who has built the rifle. Threads stretch and bruise with repeated removal/tightening.The way to do it is with a torque wrench and guages.

Thats a simple Q for me .

I would accept any AW or M85 as a factory rifle .

If I was to build a custom , then it would be a Defiance action , with the AW mag cut , would run AW mags , drop it into a folding Manners stock , chuck a 1-10 poly LW barrel on it , with a 18 inche lenght , and throw on a replica McMillan M89 can .

Scope up to you .

Later Chris

QK, going with the AI solution here's a nice hybrid:

AX3.jpg

AX in .243 with a twist rate to shoot 115 DTACs, rifle then set up to shoot tactical comps, only change of arrangment shown would be to swap the Atlas for a Harris if there was any 'run and gun' stage.

AX2.jpg

I shot this rifle a couple of time last week both short and long range, dial in and go, very nice, feels like you're cheating :ph34r:

Terry

Archived