Shooting using sticks

maxtich

Good post form me to view, I recently made a decision to shoot foxes of sticks, it seems that every time I go out I loose a fox because when I get down on the bipod I cant see the target, you know the story guys. So I invested in a set of three legged vanguards, I have taped and foamed them up so they are nice and quiet and easy to use. I took them out with the .223 and a NV add on attached to the scope also a stock extender fitted. I managed to shot some really good rabbits confidently out to 160 yards plus. So much so I impressed myself. HOWEVER I missed the last two foxes of the sticks, some thing happens to me mentally when Charlie appears. I was just considering going back to the bipod, but should I drop the third leg and try just two. I have no idea iam confused, and fed up with missing the last two.

Help !!!!

Fox Fever,

at least you were using nv and not a lamp. Shouldn't be to hard to mop them up next time!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found that the first set of quad sticks they caused problems tracking crossing foxes you needed both hands to move them they opened out. They were a hand full to carry as well.

The cure I made another set out of quarter beading and added straps to limit how far they open once the rifles on the sticks you can shoot one handed to track side to side tip onto one leg and walk round it.

As a bonus my rifle shoots to same poi from bipod sticks and sandbags.

Good post form me to view, I recently made a decision to shoot foxes of sticks, it seems that every time I go out I loose a fox because when I get down on the bipod I cant see the target, you know the story guys. So I invested in a set of three legged vanguards, I have taped and foamed them up so they are nice and quiet and easy to use. I took them out with the .223 and a NV add on attached to the scope also a stock extender fitted. I managed to shot some really good rabbits confidently out to 160 yards plus. So much so I impressed myself. HOWEVER I missed the last two foxes of the sticks, some thing happens to me mentally when Charlie appears. I was just considering going back to the bipod, but should I drop the third leg and try just two. I have no idea iam confused, and fed up with missing the last two.

Help !!!!

HELP is on the way from UP north ,you should have your sticks x4 in less than 2 Wks . ;)

• 3 months later...

a good friend of mine gave me the idea of making a 4x stick arrangement and i had the tripod configuration at the time which i was reluctant to change until they got snapped and i made my own with wooden dowel which cost a little more than the garden canes but will hopefully last a while.

and yes they are really good and stable and not that hard to deploy once u get the hang of it.

cheers James

a good friend of mine gave me the idea of making a 4x stick arrangement and i had the tripod configuration at the time which i was reluctant to change until they got snapped and i made my own quad sticks with wooden dowel which cost a little more than the garden canes but will hopefully last a while.

and yes the quad sticks are really good and stable and not that hard to deploy once u get the hang of it.

cheers James

hi ,I never go out without my quad sticks ,Im happy to shoot out to 200y ,granted they are not so quick to deploy as a monopod but they give you a solid base to rest your gun .

They have given Me more shot opportunities than if I was with a bi-pod ,

another big plus is I now go home and my clothing is clean ,not covered in mud , Caw and Sheep droppings ,

I also use them as a walking stick ,

I set the sticks and rest the gun on them while I scan for Mr Fox .

you can also make a set for under £20. have a look on You tube they are really easy to make .

• 3 weeks later...

i had that problem last saturday no stick with me.very windy was very hard to keep steady. ive now got a monopod stick graet piece of kit on ebay for £12.99. and it doubles as a walking aid also.

link.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSF-MONOPOD-SHOOTING-STICK-/380370233185&sa=U&ei=Xks9U5TeC6XKsQTYk4HYBg&ved=0CEgQFjAI&usg=AFQjCNH871POTGQAogClAeP3Hoj0F4EhWw

Tip for standing or using sticks:

Stand so your offline from the target and then twist your back without moving your feet so your aligned to the target.

Set up the sticks,

The locked back takes out sideways movement and also stops or at least reduces the effect of breathing (vertical movement)

Have you tried using quad stick Thomas - supporting the rifle for end and butt, the sticks axis at the base (foot position) - many stalkers over here use them to good effect in terrain where the vegetation makes a standing shot a necessity.

I've seen them but not tried them. They make a lot of sense, but couldn't get one when I bought so settled for a tripod.

The little extra weight of leg 4 would be no hassle and would more than pay for itself in support offered. I reckon there would be very little difference in transport bulk.

Before this I used an improvised tripod from 3 tent poles (for high prone shooting) and a pair of very lightweight Safari Stix (two legs) for kneeling/sitting.

We have a company in the Uk called B&Q, they are a hard wear store - gardening equipment and do it yourself products.

They sell some nylon coated garden canes which are about six feet in length.

a quad stick set is easily made from these using vacuum cleaner bands at the pivot point - the black target posted earlier in this thread was shot using a similar set up.

Very stable platform when standing, though when sitting, id opt for a stump and tripod every time :)

We have a company in the Uk called B&Q, they are a hard wear store - gardening equipment and do it yourself products.

They sell some nylon coated garden canes which are about six feet in length.

a quad stick set is easily made from these using vacuum cleaner bands at the pivot point - the black target posted earlier in this thread was shot using a similar set up.

Very stable platform when standing, though when sitting, id opt for a stump and tripod every time :)

That's what mine are except I use bicycle inner tube to form the pivot. If you cut segments, they are almost the perfect size. Two or three segments lasts forever. Mine are 6 years or more old without needing repair.

Guest Stacka

I use Vanguard sticks, they are trip pod but have a removable third leg.

I tend to only shoot from kneeling so i prepare them to a good height for kneeling shots. As soon as i get a glimpse of something the rifle comes off my shoulder into the kneeling position.

If i need to take a standing shot i click open the top latches and the upper legs fall down quickly and silently. I tend not to take too many standing shots any way.

• 2 months later...

I made a set of quad sticks as per M Gilchrist fieldsport channel. They resided in the shed for a year or so un used as I though they would be no better than a bipod set. I was wrong, they are rock steady and now reside in the 4x4 permanently. Cost was pence to knock them up too!

I made a set of quad sticks as per M Gilchrist fieldsport channel. They resided in the shed for a year or so un used as I though they would be no better than a bipod set. I was wrong, they are rock steady and now reside in the 4x4 permanently. Cost was pence to knock them up too!

Made a set of these as well, and wouldn't be without them. Our ground undulates quite a bit, so I found that a bipod was rarely any use, as when you'd lie down you couldn't see your target. The sticks do take a bit off practise to get set up smoothly though.

+1 for quad sticks. 265 yd rabbit at dusk last night with 223.

Sticks were a DIY variant of the field sports channel, but with a horizontal piece on the rear, allowing significant azimuth change without shuffling the sticks - by far the biggest drawback of quad sticks.

I use a Bog Pod it's Three legs I go out and shoot the 22 and 17hmr all the time using my Drone Pro on the 22 and the 17 in the day now replaced truck shooting much of the time ( healthier and greener!! ) I the take my 243 RPA out the wk before I go stalking its fitted with an Atlas bipod and use that off stiks on rabbits 200plus yards standing gives you a lot of Confidents when aiming at a dear I've also just got a fold up Cary seat back pack thing for foxing so sit and wait in comfort and shoot off the stiks makes for a realy steady shot almost as good as a bench , shot out too 200yards plus on rabbits with my 204 using this in day light The plan is to use it with night vision The bog pod is great as you can swivel the rifle and track your prey no problem I've shot off two sticks the only advantage is they can be set up a bit quicker but I can't turn and track like I can with my Bog pods .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I use wooden dowel (softwood) shooting sticks. I use it very rarely in mono mode, just go freehand at close ranges, but use it loads for quick deployment in 2 stick mode, but as soon as ranges get to 70+yds (ish) I will go to quad mode out to about 200Yds with comfort. I find it more comfortable than prone, very accurate once practised and only shoot in this position for all my stalking (save a very rare freehand) due to allways shooting over cover.

The wooden softwood dowels are 15mm (Homebase), allowing a little flex, where I will hold the joint below the forend and use the flex to steer the shot if I cant attain a dead on POA due to bramble, a hedgehog (just checking your reading here!), trees etc.

I also have the Starky Primos V2, and find they are good, but the legs take too long to set out at the required angle, otherwise they deploy great, but after all that you are still only resting the forend. Best for close in cover/snap shooting if you can get the leg splay off pat.

For me its quad sticks all the way.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I was having a bit of a disaster with lateral movement using my new sticks standing last night, so came here to the font of knowledge.

The sticks I have are the tripod Primos trigger sticks. I hadn't had a problem before using bog standard twin sticks, but that was a few years ago.

I sussed out how to use them again with a bit of dry practice. The tripod sticks lull you into a poor shooting position and in my case I was almost balancing the gun on them.

The V in the sticks are a pivot, so the closer your body is to this pivot, any lateral movement of your body is magnified.

I found the trick was to load the very tip of the fore end onto the V in the sticks, pushing into them and also pulling the rifle down and into the sticks, choking the sling at the front swivel. This was extremely steady because now the body is much further away from the pivot so and lateral movement in the body leads to only a small movement at the muzzle.

In fact the only advantage of the 3 leg over the 2 leg is that the 3 leg will stay where you left it without falling over. Standing, the extra leg doesn't offer a better shooting platform.

Cheers

Clive

Archived