Hi gents,

Just spent bloody ages doing a write up and it did not load for some reason???

So here it is in brief???

Mcqwueens comp,, Shot over 200 and 300 yards

Fig 11 head target,, three second exspossure,, Anywere in the holes in a wall

07-01-08_1145.jpg

Not to bad for the first time?? 49 out of fifty!!

Same size target!!! But at 300 yrds!! Same format??

07-01-08_1146.jpg

Shots all low???

But very happy as the group was very good!!!

What a fantastic comp to take part in,,Well worth doing!!!

Good bunch of lads and seen some bloody nice rifles aswell!!!

I would like to thank Dave (baldie)For the invite and all his help ( Cheer,s mate )

And also james (kaliederscope) For his company On the day,,,,

All the best from wales Darrel

P.S. I will be back!!!!

It was a pleasure mate.I told you the ppc would "kick ass" :rolleyes: a fast 6mm , beats the .308 up there, every day of the week.

James can come again too, he makes a wicked venison casserole...or rather, his good lady does. :rolleyes:

You mean you,ve stolen that black guys pussy? ;) you in de that which promotes growth and vigour brudder. ;)

Nah, it was his missus, big black fecker it wer, ad to beat it off with a stick. :D

Foxing bloke, there was enough for us all but Baldie ate yours as well! :lol:

I told you the ppc would "kick ass" ;) a fast 6mm , beats the .308 up there, every day of the week.

Perhaps, rather than using some low-energy non-military calibre in an (originally) military competition, you fellows could save money by just getting closer to the target with a rimfire ;) ;) :D

This is what a first go at McQueens should look like.....and using a man's calibre :D :

P1010114.jpg

Would that be the winning target from last years Bisley comp sir?

Let me guess, mans rifle and mans calibre,,,,he he he ;)

Perhaps, rather than using some low-energy non-military calibre in an (originally) military competition, you fellows could save money by just getting closer to the target with a rimfire :angry::o:D

This is what a first go at McQueens should look like.....and using a man's calibre :huh: :

P1010114.jpg

You would not like to stick your arse in front of my rifle that i would bet??? He He!!!!!

All the best F2n

Nice target.....but, at diggle we shoot it at 200 and 300 yards, not 100 and 200, and the range is,nt sheltered, its in a valley, 1000 feet up, thats why a .308 is no good. T o give you an idea, a lot of lads use .223 speedmasters at bisley dont they? use one at diggle, and half the shots wont hit the head.....a 15 -20 mph wind is the norm there.There,s a few of us coming down to the phoenix anyway for a go this time. :angry:

Nice target.....but, at diggle we shoot it at 200 and 300 yards, not 100 and 200,

Just to be clear; the target I've shown is 200yd target :angry:

I don't dispute for a moment that many target cartridges will outperform the 308's wind performance...just doesn't seem (to me) to be in the original spirit of the event to use target rather than military calibres (although I'm not really entitled to an opinion as I've only shot McQueens on one occasion [see target above :D:huh: ] )

Just my humble opinion...the McQueen's is a historic event, it should be a test of the shooter, and should with a military calibre.........not an equipment race/ wallet test.

...perhaps there should be an F/TR McQueen's? :o

Nice target.....but, at diggle we shoot it at 200 and 300 yards, not 100 and 200, and the range is,nt sheltered, its in a valley, 1000 feet up, thats why a .308 is no good. T o give you an idea, a lot of lads use .223 speedmasters at bisley dont they? use one at diggle, and half the shots wont hit the head.....a 15 -20 mph wind is the norm there.There,s a few of us coming down to the phoenix anyway for a go this time. :angry:

Well said !!!!

Being my first mcqwueens , I did not have the knowledge to express my opions on this subject??

Only to say that the comp was very interesting and enjoyable and very well run!!!!,

And now It has got me HOOK LINE AND SINKER!!!!!!! your fault baldie Ha Ha

The only thing i can say to the gentleman that posted the target, is if you can do that at the diggle at 200 and 300 yards With only tree seconds per shot then you should come and have a go!!!!

I am sure the diggle would open your eyes a bit????? The gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!!

All the best from wales F2n

Brown dog, i entirely agree with you, i wish there were two classes, military calibre,s and non military cals, or just .223/308, and a separate class for others. If i had a quid for every time my leg gets pulled at diggle, about a "non military calibre" i would be rich man.In the main, its harmless good banter, between the lads, though i think one or two actually have got the hump.....but its ALWAYS from those behind me in the scores. I came second on sunday, one point behind the winner, we both shot a 50 at 200 yards, then i shot a 47, where he shot a 48 [it was Rob Hunter], so basically, its got to the stage, where a 50 at the short distance is vital [200 yards] if you want to win. Dont be decieved into thinking that custom guns are neccessary, thats only the case at diggle, where conditions dictate it, the regulars at bisley use allsorts of standard gear, and shoot very well with it.

However, i,ve reached the point in life, where second best isn,t good enough any more...i want to drink from the winners cup, before i,m too old, and its just the same as any other sport at the top level, you need the very best equipment to succeed.

If they ever introduce two classes, i will shoot both, as i have a good .308, but i,m not willing to deliberatly hamper myself, just to stick with tradition.

Interestingly enough, the target you show, is the "politically correct" version, that bisley use, as they daren,t use the correct one, the huns head, that we still use, and are probarbly the only club left using it?

I will be posting a few pics later on the very rifle i,ve just finished, purely for mcqueens this season, and detailing the thoughts/features needed to compete successfully in this most gripping of disciplines.

Brown Dog,

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought you used an Accuracy International, topped with a S&B, so much for a equipment race/wallet test ;)

Ian.

:angry::huh: beaten with my own logic! ...but I don't think it can be accused of failing to fit the ethos!

is if you can do that at the diggle at 200 and 300 yards With only tree seconds per shot then you should come and have a go!!!!

I don't think I should ever shoot it again...after a target like that there's only one way to go :o !

I am sure the diggle would open your eyes a bit????? The gauntlet has been thrown down!!!!!

I'd love to....one day....once I get my visa sorted (its North of Watford Gap isn't it? :D ) although I don't think it'll open my eyes, I already know that zippy little 6s and 6.5s will outperform 308 in wind....back to my point about ethos & whether you're testing the round or the shooter :)

Brown dog, i entirely agree with you, i wish there were two classes, military calibre,s and non military cals, or just .223/308, and a separate class for others. If i had a quid for every time my leg gets pulled at diggle, about a "non military calibre" i would be rich man.In the main, its harmless good banter, between the lads, though i think one or two actually have got the hump.....but its ALWAYS from those behind me in the scores.

Harmless banter from me too, but I have to say I don't think I would feel genuinely beaten by someone firing a target calibre in (what is, after all) a sniper competition...rather like someone claiming to have won a race designed for Landrovers on their quad :)

However, i,ve reached the point in life, where second best isn,t good enough any more...i want to drink from the winners cup, before i,m too old, and its just the same as any other sport at the top level, you need the very best equipment to succeed.

Happy with that as an outlook...but, glad we agree that 2 classes would be better :)

I suppose that would be the only way to prevent the international arms race taking over.

But credit where its due, it was still hellish good shooting with a "factory" rifle - albeit a special rifle its still bog standard as it left AI.

Hi boy,s,

Makes sence to have a standard calibre,, Or like has been said, to have two clsses???.

I for one would shoot in both!!!!

Just another reason to have another rifle ???? Ha

P.S.

Don,t tell the wife though!!!!!

Hey Brown dog,, I would be more that happy to sign your visa????

All the best gents F2n

Dont think brown dog mentioned he did it with factory ammo as well - not expensive stuff either.

David.

He He He :D I didn't mention that as I thought I was showing off enough....nice to have someone else point it out though! :)

Ian, Rob Hunter shot the last match [because i couldn,t catch him] with a national match springfield, with a unertl scope, off a sandbag, and he beat 3/4,s of the entrants with it....bugger did it shoot well, and it was over 70 years old.

Archived