Case Length Trimmers

Tikka

I use a wilson as well, i go the whole setup from sinclairs as well, make sure you get the stand and the clamp and the correct caseholder.

Another vote for Wilson

wilsontrimmer.jpg

Had one for years, excellent value, acccuracy and repeatability - concentric case mounths every time ~ and the bonus that the case holders give an indication of wether your shoulders require "bumping" or not (regular users will understand that one)

You can do just about all case lengths in one unit - small .22's through to 338 Lapua, no problem.

Best £50 you will ever spend.

Gushing now over - if you can run to it, get the mike ajustment one it saves setting error with a dial caliper. :rolleyes:

"Gushing now over - if you can run to it, get the mike ajustment one it saves setting error with a dial caliper"

Thats what I am going for next on mine ronin, I got a wilson vld case mouth chamfering attachment for mine and want to be able to come back to trim settings easily.

For standard calibers I use the Lee trimmers. They produce trimmed measurements that are not only precise from case to case, but from trimming to trimming. There is no human error factor involved. I use them after every firing. Quick and easy.

Yes. I have a Wilson, a Forrester, and Lyman trimmers, too. I use those for when I reform cases and need to remove a good bit of metal. ~Andrew

Andrew

I have quite a few lee trimmers, the only problem with them is they dont trim back to min length ( probably on the grounds of safety as they are making the case length decision for you) and so you end up as you are, doing it every time. I prefer to trim and chamfer to minimum and only have to do it after a number of firings ( depends on cal and case type of course), but its just my opinion, they are certainly good for a quick do on a few cases.

Redfox

For standard calibers I use the Lee trimmers. They produce trimmed measurements that are not only precise from case to case, but from trimming to trimming. There is no human error factor involved. I use them after every firing. Quick and easy.

Yes. I have a Wilson, a Forrester, and Lyman trimmers, too. I use those for when I reform cases and need to remove a good bit of metal. ~Andrew

+1 on the lee

I use one cutter and four mandrills you cant go wrong

I have been using the Gracey Trimmer for over a year now, it is great for trimming large quantities of brass quickly, it also chamfers the case neck inside and out as well as trims to length in one pass. I shoot a lot of .223 and .308 and can do 200 cases an hour with no problems :)

http://www.matchprep.com/trimmer.htm

Cheers

dave

Nice but definitely off millionaires row dave.

The Lee ones that Andrew mentioned have the facility to be powered ( the shell holder end) I dug out my 222 one today and did fifty cases in no time :) but I will end up doing them again after a couple of loads, still they are cheap and you get a cutter with every one. I may just buff them down to min dimensions on the linisher then they can be used every few loads, seems a shame to have them and not use them. I have two Pacific/ Hornady machines and a Lyman with the quick chuck, so it would pay me to set them up for the more used / bigger number cases and use the Lee ones for all the rest , thanks for reminding me Andrew that I had these and wasnt using them. ;)

Redfox

I use a Lyman, the case holding device is super quick so when you are trimming a lot of cases you are not at it all day

The Wilson, although it is the bees knees it looks as if it takes a long time to load each case into the holder and then clamping it into the trimmer, too long winded for me.

Ian.

Andrew

I have quite a few lee trimmers, the only problem with them is they dont trim back to min length ( probably on the grounds of safety as they are making the case length decision for you) and so you end up as you are, doing it every time. I prefer to trim and chamfer to minimum and only have to do it after a number of firings ( depends on cal and case type of course), but its just my opinion, they are certainly good for a quick do on a few cases.

Redfox

Red: Stone a few thou off of the tip. I do it all the time.~Andrew

With regard to trimming with the Lee units. I have one of the "Zip Trim" outfits with the 3 jaw chuck as well. If I chuck up a case and give the cord a yank it trims off the excess in a flash. Then I chamfer, then give an additional tug while holding some super fine steel wool on the case. Clean and shiny, and all prepped for whats left.~Andrew

I tend to collect my fired brass in labeled bags or boxes and then have a big trimming session for 2 or 3 days and keep the tumbler running 24 hours a day for the next week.

I know I am not as 'fussy' as some of you because I am not after absolute accuracy purely consistent cases trimmed within my required limits for field use.

I have tried various makers products but all are slow and give you sore hands and stiff shoulders when you do large batches of brass at a time. I have never purchased or even tried any of the sophisticated mechanized products.

However, I have now reverted to the RCBS Trim Pro with a 3 way head as that means I trim to length and chamfer inside and outside of my necks all in one action.

In order to add ease and lack of discomfort for a 2 hour plus stint at a time I removed the handle and added a piece of threaded Allen key instead. I then use a cordless drill and a flexible shaft left running constantly at around 150rpm.

I add a case to the shell holder and push the flexible drill shaft forward to trim until the adjustable aluminium spacer stops it - pull out again, remove case, and add new etc etc.

It is surprising how quickly the action may be undertaken when you have been doing it for a while and I can soon trim a couple of hundred cases without discomfort and to reasonable tolerances.

I have always found the biggest difficulty with consistent trim length is down to the pressure you place on the turning action yourself. It is easy to move position in your chair and add or remove some level of pressure so perhaps allowing the odd case to be removed without a 'full' short back and sides.

With a drill to do the cutting and at a speed that your hand would only attain for short periods it means the level of pressure needed to press the cutter fully home each time is less critical. It has therefore also resulted in more even trim lengths for me than with other methods.

Archived