One of this months.

Finished this today, one of six this month hopefully.

Its a Valkyrie 6.5 x 47 with a small firing pin etc. This has proved to be a real improvement for this cartridge, and does away with any primer issues whatsoever.

IMG_1319_crop.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Barrel is heavy straight tapered Bartlien, which was then fluted as the customer wished. Finished at 28" Its screwcut 18mm x 1 and covered with my invisible cap.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

Trigger is a jewell , and the rifle is fully bedded into an AICS stock .

IMG_1323.jpg

20 MOA rail , sat on dowels etc.

Paintwork is Ceracote H series Armour black, and its as hard as woodpecker lips.

It has a lovely "grainy" look to it.

I seem to be building nothing but 6.5,s of some sort of late, both the 6.5 x 47 and the 260 are very popular at the minute.

I,m going to order a creedmore reamer i think. That case looks great !

Finished this today, one of six this month hopefully.

Its a Valkyrie 6.5 x 47 with a small firing pin etc. This has proved to be a real improvement for this cartridge, and does away with any primer issues whatsoever.

IMG_1319_crop.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Barrel is heavy straight tapered Bartlien, which was then fluted as the customer wished. Finished at 28" Its screwcut 18mm x 1 and covered with my invisible cap.

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

Trigger is a jewell , and the rifle is fully bedded into an AICS stock .

IMG_1323.jpg

20 MOA rail , sat on dowels etc.

Paintwork is Ceracote H series Armour black, and its as hard as woodpecker lips.

It has a lovely "grainy" look to it.

I seem to be building nothing but 6.5,s of some sort of late, both the 6.5 x 47 and the 260 are very popular at the minute.

I,m going to order a creedmore reamer i think. That case looks great !

6.5 creedmoor I've had one for along time now that mike norris built for me, and yes I think its great also.

Very nice Dave.

Interesting note on the small firing pin / small primer 6.5X47L matter. I keep banging on about this but nobody seems to want to listen. (My attempt to rebarrel my .308 Win FN Special Police Rifle / fancy Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 action to 6.5X47 was a disaster, primers pierced at only a grain or so above starting loads. A rechamber to LR primer using .260 Rem cured the problem and the rifle now performs very well indeed.)

I'm very keen to play with 6.5 Creedmoor too - have all the bits, just been waiting for a chamber reamer forever. Hornady brass is nicely made, very good consistency within cases such as neck thickness measured at three points around the neck, but 300 cases bought as a batch exhibit a large overall weight spread - 3 to 3.5gn speaking from memory that you'd never find with Lapua. If / when I get into business, I'll test the cartridge out fully in the SSR-10 straight-pull that you covet and a Stiller based magazine bolt-action / heavy barrel job.

Very nice Dave.

Interesting note on the small firing pin / small primer 6.5X47L matter. I keep banging on about this but nobody seems to want to listen. (My attempt to rebarrel my .308 Win FN Special Police Rifle / fancy Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 action to 6.5X47 was a disaster, primers pierced at only a grain or so above starting loads. A rechamber to LR primer using .260 Rem cured the problem and the rifle now performs very well indeed.)

I'm very keen to play with 6.5 Creedmoor too - have all the bits, just been waiting for a chamber reamer forever. Hornady brass is nicely made, very good consistency within cases such as neck thickness measured at three points around the neck, but 300 cases bought as a batch exhibit a large overall weight spread - 3 to 3.5gn speaking from memory that you'd never find with Lapua. If / when I get into business, I'll test the cartridge out fully in the SSR-10 straight-pull that you covet and a Stiller based magazine bolt-action / heavy barrel job.

Well I have been playing with my 6.5 creedmoor for a while now and don't need any other for my needs now, interesting about the Hornady cases mine came from USA last year and this year with no problems with weight spread, It was rumoured that Hornady run some bad brass but realised this and withdrew it and honoured purchases and exchanged etc., If you look on the 6.5 creedmoor forum they have the details of the batch numbers and one or two on there work for Hornady so first hand information is readily available.

Is there any other users in the UK as I feel I'm the only one most days?

PJ.

Hi Laurie,

I dropped on an AR10 a while ago, and dislike it in .308. I,m going to rebarrel it in Creedmore. I have a reamer on its way from Midway [damn sight quicker than ptg, and the same price ]

Its an itch that just has to be scratched at some point !

Is there any other users in the UK as I feel I'm the only one most days?

PJ,

I asked this question in thne Tactical Rifles section last year. You're not alone but in rather select company I was told. There are a few Service Rifle competition users. Generally though, it's just not recognised or known about here compared to .260 Rem and 6.5X47L, unlike the USA where it really has taken off. Everything I read and heard asbout it suggests it might be the ideal smaller 6.5 for short action magazine rifles as it combines the powder capacity and large primer aspects of .260 Rem with a shorter case similar to that of the 6.5X47 allowing 130-140gn bullets to be sensibly seated out within 2.8-2.9" COALs.

I'd certainly encourage 'Baldie' (Dave) to give it a whirl - it might help publicise the cartridge a bit more and kick-start use.

Incidentally, for anybody considering the cartridge, while Edgar Brothers is the official Hornady importer / distributor, Hannams Reloading still offers a fantastic Hornady supply service and will usually obtain dies and brass if required in two or three weeks. Like PJ I got my brass last year at a time of alleged shortages in the US and expected to wait 3 or 6 months. I was surprised to get a phone call in around a fortnight saying it had arrived. Hornady dies are very good, but unfortunately Forster has yet to add the cartridge to its list, or if it has it's not yet shown as listed on the company website.

I have this very afternoon been trying to tie a 6.5 creedmoor Savage down to test. I'm more thasn likely to end up with a 6BR or something similar but I have been after one for a year after shooting one last July. Im a .260 lover and see no shortfalls with it but the creedmoor being that bit shorter as laurie says may allow more flexibility with mag feed and throat/leade length on the loaded round. We can but see? Im no fan of stoking the presure up like many small cartridges need to make their claims but there is slight excess powder capacity in my 260 using H4350 and 139 Scenars at 2.840 (0,005" jump) and 2830fps.

Hi Laurie,

I dropped on an AR10 a while ago, and dislike it in .308. I,m going to rebarrel it in Creedmore. I have a reamer on its way from Midway [damn sight quicker than ptg, and the same price ]

Its an itch that just has to be scratched at some point !

Dave - that's a conclusion I came to as well. 6.5 HCM seems the ideal AR-10 straight-pull cartridge. But I also have this Stiller paid for up front just waiting for me at Auntie Wainwright's establshment as you nicknamed Fox Firearms in another topic (you are a naughty one!) only needing a reamer so that its present .308 barrel can be swapped for a 6.5. That'll go on my personal ticket and will be given the full load development treatment to see what does and doesn't work. (In fact, I seem to be getting belatedly onto the 6.5 bandwagon years after everybody else with work on .260R, 6.5X55, 6.5-284 in the pipeline alongside the Creedmoor. The only one missing in the plans is everybody else's darling, the x47 Lapua. I have brass, dies and everything else but no rifle I'd really want to try it in.

See you at Diggle on Sunday. We can swap notes on this one and maybe talk to 'Auntie Wainwright' if the queue into his emporium isn't too long.

• 2 weeks later...

If the go guage comes this morning, i will have it barrelled this week Laurie...then we can have a play . :D

I actually dropped on a brand new AR10 upper reciever last weekend too, so i will barrel that.

Very nice Dave.

Hi Laurie. I have the creedmore reamers on the shelf and as you recall I did offer them for your usage six months ago. The offer still stands if require .... that is unless you want to wait even more time in the hoppe that the reamers will eventualy arrive. :D We have built several creedmores and the performance has been everything that we wanted.

So the offer is there to get you out of the mire..... the choice is yours

Laurie,

Did you reduce firing pin protrusion during your playabout with the FN and the 6.5x47? I imagine it was set-up to mash cruddy military primers. I suspect that setting protrusion shorter would probably have cured it. Be interested to hear if you tried that angle.

Archived