6.5x47 Precision Stalker

Just Finished putting the tube on this one.

Borden Alpine Action

Brux no.5 Contour Fluted Barrel 25"

.250 Recoil Lug

Jewell Trigger

Mcmillan M40A1 HTG ADJ

PTG Oberndorf Bottom metal

7727450136_9e70703434.jpg

7727451906_22823a2e81.jpg

7727448146_1e1979e49c.jpg

7727446362_1dfc734485.jpg

will get more pics after bedding, then its off to vapour blast.

Gorgeous!

I have a 260 Rem / Surgeon / Krieger combo on the same stock and its great for stalking.

• 1 month later...

Was just sent this by the rifles new owner,

4 groups shot consecutively with 5 mins between to cool.

120gr Berger BT

2995Fps

Es 7

.171 Average, not too bad.

8007562923_34e47be35a_o.jpg

Nice

whats it like with 5 shot groups - I recall someone saying that a group isnt a group unless its 5 shots..

I am only teasing, its certainly reflective of many 6.5x47's - seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge, no matter whom the builder.

1348220493[/url]' post='132221']

Nice

whats it like with 5 shot groups - I recall someone saying that a group isnt a group unless its 5 shots..

I am only teasing, its certainly reflective of many 6.5x47's - seems to be an inherently accurate cartridge, no matter whom the builder.

Oh yes the snipers hide mantra that only 5 shot groups only counttongue.gif because a 3 shot is just a fluke! Well I think you can negate that by repeating the load consecutively and averaging, as done here.

Remembering also that this rifle was primarily built for stalking, I think I see 12 dead deer there!

The 6.5x47 is phenomenal, I think it should be recommended in ACPO guidance as the ideal caliber for this country.

1348220847[/url]' post='132223']

Mmm I want one of those

Atb Steve

Steve you tart, if you could make your mind up on one rifle/calibre then anything is possible!!! biggrin.gif

I was actually referring to a quote Vince B makes with regards to 5 shots being a group, but I suspect similar rationale.

Its a stunningly accurate cartridge, I do like the Brux barrels, very well made and good guys to deal with.

I was actually referring to a quote Vince B makes with regards to 5 shots being a group, but I suspect similar rationale.

Its a stunningly accurate cartridge, I do like the Brux barrels, very well made and good guys to deal with.

Excellent barels indeed, although this one was a little slow.

Speed isnt that bad, what load was that? Notice you didnt measure the group of flyers on the left! Just kiddin, love my 6.5...

Hi,

The groups weren't shot by me, but I believe the flyers were caused by the piece of that which promotes growth and vigour Hardy mod coming loose before the customer realised.

Load is 40.6gr RL15 cci 450 primer, Berger 120 match BT, as I said this barrel is slow so don't attempt that load in your rifle without working up

Oberndorf style bottom metal .....http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_90_93 Regards JCS

Hi JCS

I had a look at their website, the bottom metal seems to be nice and tidy if you like the floor plate system, I thought/hoped that it may have been a flush fitting mag system for the remmy/clone type actions

The only flush fitting after market detachable that I have seen is made by HS precision, do you know of any more options ?

Thanks

Oh yes the snipers hide mantra that only 5 shot groups only counttongue.gif because a 3 shot is just a fluke! Well I think you can negate that by repeating the load consecutively and averaging, as done here.

Remembering also that this rifle was primarily built for stalking, I think I see 12 dead deer there!

The 6.5x47 is phenomenal, I think it should be recommended in ACPO guidance as the ideal caliber for this country.

Agreed.maybe allow the 260Rem,for those who buy factory ammo from the big producers.

The group shot number issue is resolvable several ways.What they all have in common is replicability.Bench resters shoot for group size,typically aggregated over 5 x5 shot relays of 5 shots each,with probably a non counting warm up.Each match typically starts with a fouling shot,then one or more sighters before engaging the match target,with repeated returns to the sighter targets if the wind changes.The rifle needs to be as consistent as engineeringly possible for a minimum 5 shots,but more typically 6-10 shots,in about 7 minutes.They will be cleaned between each relay ,and the whole thing repeated.Note, they don't have to put the group in the same place in each relay.

A stalking rifle has rather different replicability requirements.Typicaly it will be shot cold wih a clean barrel,and typically only one shot will be fired.You need to know where that shot will go.If you need a second shot follow up,you actually don't want it to go within an inch of the damage done by the first shot.You may later in the stalk have an opportunity for a second deer,but not within 7 minutes,unless eg hind culling.You do not need this shot to have grouped within 1/10 inch of the first shot fired,but it needs to be close.The next day,after cleaning,you want replicability on first shot-ie within an inch of your first day first shot.(1 inch,say- just my tolerance,approximately).That kind of first shot consistency is more important,than in BR competitions.Most rifles will do both reasonably well-it's unlikely your stalker will put one first shot an inch high,then the next day 3 inches left,because of intrinsic rifle variability;and a season's 150 shots to count from a BR rifle would ofet be covered by a 10p coin.The 6.5 here,does both exceptionally well.You can of course get some pretty good idea of first shot replicability by noting where the first shot in each separate group went,(and in a really good shooter,they will all be close enough),especially if there are several cooling minutes between groups.Some test firing both ways will soon tell you what you have-odds are high that it will be adequate,at least.Unlike competition, it's the first shot that really matters in stalking,typically.And I would think for most varminting-seldom in UK at least- would multiple shots be likely-though eg heavy barreled varminter design helps reduce barrel heating etc.The latitude of acceptability (target/group size) is also much larger than eg Bench Rest;there are of course plenty other factors,so a rifle that is a good as possible is always desireable,and 'fit for purpose' essential.Superb performance is of course highly pleasing,and buyable for the rifle.

(There may well be more self induced psychological pressure on the fifth shot when you see a super first four shots,more so than on two or three shot groups,but that is another matter.)And I can't tell if these super groups from this 6.5 are 4 or 5 shot,anyhow.As Danpd says,when it's this good,does it matter?!!)

george

Archived