NV

Shoot em

Hi there and thanks for any information any one can cast

Im thinking of buying a new centaur 165nv scope with a photonis XR5 tube whats any opinion/have they used them or is there any thing better for the £4.5k price tag any help would be appreciated as i only want to buy once

Darren

Im thinking of buying a new centaur 165nv scope with a photonis XR5 tube whats any opinion/have they used them or is there any thing better for the £4.5k price tag any help would be appreciated as i only want to buy once

Darren

Had a D760 it had a pini tube and was the Dogs, it was better than my kite at the time better adjustments on the D760 could see the number's clearly on the Stickle Down range at bisley . would have another again if funds where available , always go and look through them before you buy,

shop around put ,this post on other forums, there are people out there who know people who aquire these things and will help ,

good luck

Please don't spend all that money on gen 2 kit. Wait for someone to get in contact and take it from there. A 760 with a gen 3 tube will be a much better investment

Danpd, I wouldn't class the XR5 as gen 2, more like gen 3 in my view and Photonis's view

To answer Darrens question, is the centaur 165nv scope with a photonis XR5 tube any good?, YES it is a fantastic system, why?, because it is the Russian designed Dedal 480 body with XR5 tube. There are aslo black market products like this out there with illegally smuggled ITT tubes mainly taken from PVS14's. They are very good but are second or 5th hand, who knows?

The gen 3 ITT tubes that most of the black market dedal systems have, will be US silver bullet, F9815SLN,, the XD4 and XR5 tubes are comparable to them made in France.

It would be good for you to ask around as others say to perhaps find a cheaper system as there's been many a NV system pieced together but... you need to ask yourself, is it worth spending £2k+ on a scope that you don't know what life/treatment the system has had and what tube it has?

or spend £4.5k on a legally imported product with guarantee?........

The photonis tubes alone cost £3K

I have fixed many faulty second hand units for people that have been in the circuit and to be honest if you don't know someone that can re parallax and re solder wires properly then you could be left with a very expensive paper weight.

Danpd, I wouldn't class the XR5 as gen 2, more like gen 3 in my view and Photonis's view

To answer Darrens question, is the centaur 165nv scope with a photonis XR5 tube any good?, YES it is a fantastic system, why?, because it is the Russian designed Dedal 480 body with XR5 tube. There are aslo black market products like this out there with illegally smuggled ITT tubes mainly taken from PVS14's. They are very good but are second or 5th hand, who knows?

The gen 3 ITT tubes that most of the black market dedal systems have, will be US silver bullet, F9815SLN,, the XD4 and XR5 tubes are comparable to them made in France.

It would be good for you to ask around as others say to perhaps find a cheaper system as there's been many a NV system pieced together but... you need to ask yourself, is it worth spending £2k+ on a scope that you don't know what life/treatment the system has had and what tube it has?

The photonis tubes alone cost £3K

I have fixed many faulty second hand units for people that have been in the circuit and to be honest if you don't know someone that can re parallax and re solder wires properly then you could be left with a very expensive paper weight.

Hi Lee,

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I've owned them all and my opinion is based on my own experience.

Hi Lee,

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I've owned them all and my opinion is based on my own experience.

Hi Danpd,

Yes, agree to disagree, I based the comparisons on my own experience too and speaking in depth to Photonis. All the top end tubs can perform very differently on a given night. The main thing is that the XR5 is sometimes classed as gen2 tube technology in category, but performs like American gen3 tubes. I think the ITT tubes work a tiny bit better in complete darkness but that won’t matter for hunting. Danpd, did your system perhaps have the ITT tube with the Variable gain control system that’s in the PVS14?, that makes a huge difference and if you had seen the XR5 system without the variable gain then this would look inferior to one with vairy gain control.

Darren

Darren first off what cal rifle is this going on?? yes the XR5 is a cracking bit of kit but not 4.5k's worth, that which promotes growth and vigour you can buy a Brand new 760 for way less than that or at a push a brand new Raptor, but none of the yanky stuff comes with warranty. Had a few scope now and yet to see a yanky one go down on tube issue's. If you do go for a XR5 tubed scope get the none gated one.

To answer Darrens question, is the centaur 165nv scope with a photonis XR5 tube any good?, YES it is a fantastic system, why?, because it is the Russian designed Dedal 480 body with XR5 tube. There are aslo black market products like this out there with illegally smuggled ITT tubes mainly taken from PVS14's. They are very good but are second or 5th hand, who knows? Less than 4k Brand new chap cheaper still if you get a MX10160 tube

The gen 3 ITT tubes that most of the black market dedal systems have, will be US silver bullet, F9815SLN,, the XD4 and XR5 tubes are comparable to them made in France. True

The photonis tubes alone cost £3K True but i don't know why

so what scope's are these with the px error??

and last of all Lee were are you based pm if you like

so what scope's are these with the px error??

and last of all Lee were are you based pm if you like

Camo304,

The scopes with parallax issues are the Dedal 480 or similar that were slapped together by somebody that doesn't understand what they were doing when fitting the better tubes. Most of them, if not all of them have scope ring screws missing so the lenses/objective comes loose over time causing parallax problems. And many scope bodies that were taken apart,, the parallax was not checked or corrected anyway.

If you want to see, I have appalling pictures of the wiring/soldering done by these cowboys.

I’m in the Borders

Camo304,

The scopes with parallax issues are the Dedal 480 or similar that were slapped together by somebody that doesn't understand what they were doing when fitting the better tubes. Most of them, if not all of them have scope ring screws missing so the lenses/objective comes loose over time causing parallax problems. And many scope bodies that were taken apart,, the parallax was not checked or corrected anyway.

If you want to see, I have appalling pictures of the wiring/soldering done by these cowboys.

I'm in the Borders

Do you mean Mr G****** who was nocking out the Dedal bodies with US 10160 tubes fitted if so ye seen some of is handywork :wacko:

Camo304,

I’m in the Borders

Well tks for this now im really confused I was buying new from THOMAS JACKS with warranty so if any body knows of any thing good worth having id much appreciate it don't mind dedicated going on a 22-250 or add on with a 46-24x50 HABICHT with A4 reticule

if any one has any thing and wants to sell or demo im in the scottish borders by SELKIRK my numbers 07802 968800

many tks Darren

Well tks for this now im really confused I was buying new from THOMAS JACKS with warranty so if any body knows of any thing good worth having id much appreciate it don't mind dedicated going on a 22-250 or add on with a 46-24x50 HABICHT with A4 reticule

if any one has any thing and wants to sell or demo im in the scottish borders by SELKIRK my numbers 07802 968800

many tks Darren

Darren,

Keep your eyes open on the forums something might turn up, but please if it's second hand, go have a look see how it performs first. Try to find someone that knows what they are looking at with you.

Thomas jacks do have some good kit if it has the XD4 or XR5 tubes, but expensive.

Second hand units from US are fantastic and half the price but do not have any warranty as already said and you could be on your own if a problem arises.

Also you really want to decide if you want an add on or dedicated scope, I prefer the dedicated scope with picatinny rail so you can switch back to a day scope. I feel the dedicated system will work better than an ocular add on which does work ok but is awkward to use for eye relief and not as efficient due to it only relying and intensifying the image that the scope brings in. An objective add on would be much better in this case but then they can have mounting issues on a standard sporting/hunting rifle. Modular rifles with picatinny rails can hold front add on objective units properly.

if you want me to look at a unit with you, give me a shout I'm only 20 mins away from you.

Darren,

Keep your eyes open on the forums something might turn up, but please if it's second hand, go have a look see how it performs first. Try to find someone that knows what they are looking at with you.

Thomas jacks do have some good kit if it has the XD4 or XR5 tubes, but expensive.

Second hand units from US are fantastic and half the price but do not have any warranty as already said and you could be on your own if a problem arises.

Also you really want to decide if you want an ‘add on’ or ‘dedicated scope’, I prefer the dedicated scope with picatinny rail so you can switch back to a day scope. I feel the dedicated system will work better than an ocular add on which does work ok but is awkward to use for eye relief and not as efficient due to it only relying and intensifying the image that the scope brings in. An objective add on would be much better in this case but then they can have mounting issues on a standard sporting/hunting rifle. Modular rifles with picatinny rails can hold front add on objective units properly.

if you want me to look at a unit with you, give me a shout I'm only 20 mins away from you.

Many thks for the kind offer which i will except if a unit comes up but i do need a unit pretty quick if your only 20 min away ware about are you ?

and again tks for the offer

Darren,

Not sure if you have thought of these or not http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/index.shtml I've had my archer for over 12 months and can't fault it as it does everything I ask of it, their back up service is also excellent which if you are going to spend 2 or 3k is vital in my opinion.

Andy

I agree with Andy above ..if i had a few grand i was about to spend and there was no option of buying what i use today but from the British market i would deffo look at the archer or longbow from starlight..i find Thomas jacks prices way to high.

Although i have quite a bit of gen 3 kit i also have the archer plus other bits from them and they all do work well.

I agree with Andy above ..if i had a few grand i was about to spend and there was no option of buying what i use today but from the British market i would deffo look at the archer or longbow from starlight..i find Thomas jacks prices way to high.

Although i have quite a bit of gen 3 kit i also have the archer plus other bits from them and they all do work well.

I have also used an Archer for five years now and its a good bit of kit, took hold of a LongBow this year so the Archer has now become a spotter, both are good bits of kit obviously the Bow is far out infront of an Archer but I would never be without the add on. Service from Starlight is top notch had a few problems over the years due to heavy use but everthing gets sorted very quickly by Starlight. I have heard that a PVS14 or 18 will better the Archer Iam yet to see though.

ATB

I have also used an Archer for five years now and its a good bit of kit, took hold of a LongBow this year so the Archer has now become a spotter, both are good bits of kit obviously the Bow is far out infront of an Archer but I would never be without the add on. Service from Starlight is top notch had a few problems over the years due to heavy use but everthing gets sorted very quickly by Starlight. I have heard that a PVS14 or 18 will better the Archer Iam yet to see though.

ATB

My Archer is no where near as good as my pvs 14 or mini 14 monoculars..but still as said a good add on that does do what its suppose to.

I was about to comment on archer and longbow but I'll keep my mouth shut, apart from saying i'm with Barrelsniffer on this one.

OK all you guys dos any one know ware i might get a PVS14 from if you have any info you can get me on 07802 968800 my other option is with an orion XR5 gen3 but yet again from TJacks

OK all you guys dos any one know ware i might get a PVS14 from if you have any info you can get me on 07802 968800 my other option is with an orion XR5 gen3 but yet again from TJacks

If you want a PVS-14, just stick a wanted add up on here and on any other shooting websites you use, worked for me.

Archived