Custom anschutz

6.5shooter

Hi,

I thought some of you may like to see my new toy.

Its an anschutz 1710 dhb in a staffordshire synthetic stock which is fully bedded with pillars and is a clone of the a3-5 stock.

Basically the itch started for a rifle like this when I shot my friends 1710 and I saw how accurate these rifles are!

Having shot smallbore comps I was well used to the anschutz match 54 action and I know these rifles can shoot!!

After having bought one I could not get used to the standard stock and so I tang Danny in Staffordshire synthetics and he was very helpful and I explained what I was after and the answer was 'no problem Gaz!'

So off it went to Staffordshire to get kitted out!

I wanted a vertical pistol grip style stock which was fully adjustable and quite light!

I had thought about keeping my smallbore comp anshutz for this as th stock was brilliant and fitted me perfectly but the rifle was just too heavy and cumbersome plus it was single shot, which isnt the end of the world but I wanted it to be a mag fed rifle so I wouldnt have to carry fiddly .22 rounds in my pockets.

Ontop I added a bushnell 6500 elite mildot scope which parallaxes down to 10 yards and the clarity is excellent!

I want this rifle for bunnies, informal target up to silly ranges where people will be telling me 'thats impossible to hit with a .22!' (they may be right with me behind the butt!) lol

So here are some pics for you to glare at of my light .22lr hunter/target tactical style rifle which cost me the best part of £2500 but which has exceeded my expectations and the stock is top banana! (thanks Danny)

Its nice to have summit different though!

Its not the size of youre weapon, its what you do with it that counts!! :lol:

4ae4eba7.jpg

917f2102.jpg

9b2ef03d.jpg

0a8110ea.jpg

6cc7ea40.jpg

875a1f2b.jpg

3f0f301b.jpg

fe5dab0d.jpg

cdfd1b5a.jpg

fb9badce.jpg

Nice job Garry, hard to beat the old .22lr for some cheap trigger time, and if you can hit with a .22 you can hit with anything!

Mike

Thanks fellas,

Mike, yes its hard to beat the .22 for a training rifle and to get losts of practice in. Its like my mini TRG! :)

I figured scince I have several rifles in my cabinet which cost several thousand of pounds why not build a good .22, afterall it gets out of the cabinet more than the rest so it makes sense, plus its different.

Turned out nice, hope it shoots as good as it looks :)

Agree on shooting 22's at a distance, took mine to a club shoot and eveyone 'sniffed' at me on the 200 yard line - till I shot (it was not a windy day).

Terry

Excellent!

The perfect training rifle for when you cant shoot full bore.

Terry,

How far have you shot it to?

Just wondering on the consistency futher out.

From watching a few videos on you tube 250-300 yard hits seem pretty consistent. Aslong as its not windy I assume.

Cant wait to get it out at distance.

Heading off out down the fields now to work up a load :lol:

Thanks for all the comments guys! Im made up with the rifle and it has turned out better than I expected!

Chris, re the scope and can,

This went round and round in my head so many times as to which scope I should fit! I was going to go for an elite tactical but decided against at the lastminuite as it was to bulky and too much for things to catch on, this scope appealed to me better because it was lower profile and sleek lines so it wont catch on things as quick. To be honest, with this scope there are target turrets under the caps so just remove them if you want to dial. I suspect I will probably use the mildots until there arent enough of them and then I will dial in.

The can, i didnt thread the barrel as it would be too long with a can and I did not want to shorten the barrel either as Anschutz barrels are choked and I didnt want to mess it up.

As you can see she can shoot and I just decided best left alone.

Maybe when I shoot out this barrel then I will get border to make me up a shortie which is threaded! I suspect it wont be long as these .22lr's are beasts on barrels :lol:

Scotch,

Yes I didnt want to take no chances! Another good thing with the bushnells are the long eye relief! Perfect for these heavy recoilers and it has a rubber eyepiece to help me avoid 'scope kiss' during recoil! :lol:

Yes the a3-5 is mutts nutts, Danny also fitted one to my 220 swift and an a5 clone to my 6.5x47.

I will put pics of them up when I get scopes etc screwed on.

The stocks and the bedding jobs are top notch!

I heard a whimper that they may be making some stocks for rpa as robertson composites have gone bust!

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Here are a few measurements.

From front of action to forend of stock 11 3/4 inches

Action length 7 3/4 inches

Barrel length 23 inches

Barrel diameter 21 mm

Stock overall length 33 3/4 inches (I take a 15 1/2 length of pull)

Is that ok? Anything else just ask.

No muzzle brake! wouldn't want to get behind that bad boy without one

Hats off to you, good to see the .22RF get a little respect.

Notice the rubber focus ring on the eye piece of the scope!

This has saved me a few times from 'scope kiss'!

:lol:

I recently ordered a set of trigger springs for this tifle from jp guns and springs as the standard trigger pull is a bit crap.

I got 3 springs in the kit, light, medium and heavy.

I fitted the lightest and the rifle was firing when I closed the bolt so I fittedthe heaviest and bingo it cured the firing on bolt closure and it has a nice clean crisp trigger release which is now very light ( a little too light) but nice.

A heavier firing spring was also fitted, this is supposed to decrease lock time.

I also ordered a set of nice allen action bolts to replace the standard anshutz ones but on tightening the first one, crack!

The head split with not much torque applied!

They are crap to say the least so the standard screws went back in.

1483014f.jpg

Thanks for the info , whats the OAL of the whole rifle , also from the forend back to the breech ( so the barrel from the chamber till the end of the stock ) , as i will be shortening the barrel to maybe the forend ( ie 12 inches or what ever it works out ) .

Cheers Chris

Archived