the nicest custom action

now thats ticking some boxes - brazed on handle!!! is that "nice"?

The bolt would cost twice as much if it were one piece Gary. Possibly adding £150 to the action price. Would you be happy paying that extra ?

There is so much crap talked about brazed on handles etc etc by people who have never seen, or had one break its untrue.

The bolt on a soldiers rifle needs to be one piece, or at the very least tig welded on [like mine are ] because his life depends on that bolt operating perfectly under extreme stress and hard racking.

Doesn,t quite have the same importance on a target range, or scottish hillside does it ? :)

I,ve seen two remington handles come away, and both were whilst being machined for bolt knobs , not actually in use . It does happen, but its extremely rare.

Most bolt handles come away...when people have jammed a case in the gun through sloppy reloading, and a mallet is applied to the bolt handle.

Not what they were designed for.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? That's a bit of a chicken and egg statement.

If no one in UK makes one like that; people can't buy a UK action of that type!

Surgeon actions sell.

Badger Actions sell.

(& presumably that German action pictured earlier sells).

Fixed rail and recoil lug aren't some out of the box strange Holy Grail idea! :)

"If you build it, they will come" ;)

Surgeon actions dont sell anymore Matt at £1400.

Badger are almost impossible to get [although i,m trying hard at the moment ]

I,ve had the Fixed lug, fixed rail left hand action made...did you buy it ? no, you bought an AW.

see what i mean ? :)

I,ve been there with all these options. I,ve religiously advertised true left hand rifles, with all the features anyone could dream up. Same old story...fine in dreams...the hard reality is that people wont pay for it.

Surgeon actions dont sell anymore Matt at £1400.

Badger are almost impossible to get [although i,m trying hard at the moment ]

I,ve had the Fixed lug, fixed rail left hand action made...did you buy it ? no, you bought an AW.

I,ve been there with all these options. I,ve religiously advertised true left hand rifles, with all the features anyone could dream up. Same old story...fine in dreams...the hard reality is that people wont pay for it.

He did buy British which is something I'm trying to do more and more.

Didn't think you'd made any fixed recoil lug jobbies at all yet (to whit your prototype F-class action was seperate and you stated that the production version would be fixed). You've never mentioned actions like that beyond a 'one day I'll' idea-phase before!?

Even just now you said:

We still have a tactical action on the back burner, which has fixed rail , lug and a 3 lug bolt. Will it ever make it into production ? Possibly, but it wouldn,t be cheap.

So huge apologies if this action passed me by, but I think my telepathic powers have failed me on this occasion :rolleyes:

:)

[PS: get some pics up - I'll buy you a half of shandy if I'm wrong that there's an appetite for a UK surgeon / badger equivalent! :)]

The bolt would cost twice as much if it were one piece Gary. Possibly adding £150 to the action price. Would you be happy paying that extra ?

thats the cost of a days doe culling or the carcass value of a decent fallow buck, if i were buying the rifle of a lifetime i wouldnd mind, although i have never looked closely at a custom actions brazed on bolt - i will have to look at a few and see if i am put off. biggest challenge here is getting something that will make me happier and hunt better than my 25-06 R93 does - an almost impossible task.

although something in 25-06 AI is getting my juices flowing.....

thats the cost of a days doe culling or the carcass value of a decent fallow buck, if i were buying the rifle of a lifetime i wouldnd mind, although i have never looked closely at a custom actions brazed on bolt - i will have to look at a few and see if i am put off. biggest challenge here is getting something that will make me happier and hunt better than my 25-06 R93 does - an almost impossible task.

although something in 25-06 AI is getting my juices flowing.....

I don't think you'll find any conventional rifle to match the blaser's compactness and general handling 'neatness'.

But Blaser is a marmite rifle, and there are other issues to consider with them. At least four on here (me included)are 'former' Blaser owners.

Blaser put in for the UK 338 contract but didn't get it. I can tell you (but not on the www) 'under trial conditions' stories that'll frighten you :lol: .

A short action has always been available with a fixed lug and rail, people just wont pay for it. Several have been made as working prototypes.

The F class action, is long action, and the prototypes were built from existing l/a blanks that were not big enough for fixed lug in diameter. Now rectified.

These options have always been available, and i,ve advertised them as such, on many occasions.

I suppose the best thing i can say now, is that you can have ANY permutation you wish. I have covered ALL the bases I can think of, and all these ideas have been built into various actions now.

Seem to think i,m repeating myself however.

Gary,

You've a whole slew of actions to choose from, work back from what you want the rifle to do and, by the sound of it, finally look like?

Matt,

You can put your 3 position flag safety onto any Remington or action that uses the Remington shroud e.g. Surgeon, thus: http://www.gentrycustom.com/component/virtuemart/3-position-safety/remington-3-position-safety-detail?Itemid=0

NB personnaly I've come to the stage where the safety is, as far a protector of life, not considered. If there's a live round in the gun it's not pointed at anything, full stop. You can say that some safeties block this or prevent that which is true but it is also true some rifles have safeties that are 50p of pressed steel fitted by a foreign worker on minimum wage - are you going to trust this? So to save checking the quality/funtion of everyones safety I'll stay 'safe' :lol:

Don't get me started on trigger BTW :mad:

Brgds Terry

Matt,

You can put your 3 position flag safety onto any Remington or action that uses the Remington shroud e.g. Surgeon, thus: http://www.gentrycustom.com/component/virtuemart/3-position-safety/remington-3-position-safety-detail?Itemid=0

The chaps on here who've fitted those didn't rate them - that was a while back, don't know if that's changed?

Only time I really use a safety is on the (muzzle safe) final crawl on beasties; I then like to know that it's a firing pin blocker and not just a trigger interruptor.

Crawl about for a few days in pouring rain on muddy Scottish hillsides and you may become less impressed when they lock solid.

They're delicate range rifle triggers, not stalking / working rifle triggers.

having had a Jewel trigger in my hunting rifles for 10 years or so I have never had a problem,they have been all over the world hunting in 100 degree heat to minus 20 degree,sand rain mud grass,never had or heard of any problems,maybe you were just unlucky.I suspose if one drops there rifle in mud one may get a problem but that can happen to any trigger,I love them and wouldnt have anything else

After reading something written by Kirby Allen who is a respected Rifle Builder in the States i bought a Borden Timberline.

He checked a variety of US made Actions for tolerance and found the Borden to be the best. { of the ones he checked }. Now these Actions are the ones made as alternatives to a Blueprinted Remmy and not the top Actions like the Rimrock, BAT and the like.

This was before the UK made Actions became available to us.

I love my Borden, they are generally available off the shelf from PRS and left hand too thankfully.

By coincidence mine was built into a 25-06 AI.

Nick.

Sporting Rifles

Trying not to go off topic but Jewell's are good triggers no doubt but can be fragile. In my ignorance built my first tactical comp gun using a Jewell', worked great until used on a 25 hour comp, hot,cold, dust etc. Bottom line it packed up along with every other Jewell present, about 10% of the competitors . Fluke? Possibly, but it brought home to me their limitations. I'd use one on a target based rifle (actually I'd use a Kelbly) but not on a rifle I'd depend on and I think you'll find people who build rifles on which LEO's etc depend do not use them. Horses for courses :)

Brgds Terry

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about. Custom actions are nice and I guess everyone would feel 'unique' with their one-of-a-kind rifle. I don't have any and haven't felt the need either. All my rifles are built around commercial Sako or Tikka actions and shoot as well as any of the customs I've seen. For the price of the custom action, one may be able to purchase AND rebarrel a commercial action and have a gun that they will not be able to outshoot...

My 2p

Finman

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about. Custom actions are nice and I guess everyone would feel 'unique' with their one-of-a-kind rifle. I don't have any and haven't felt the need either. All my rifles are built around commercial Sako or Tikka actions and shoot as well as any of the customs I've seen. For the price of the custom action, one may be able to purchase AND rebarrel a commercial action and have a gun that they will not be able to outshoot...

My 2p

Finman

the fuss is about having the "best" a proper custom action will cost around £1000,your rifle you had re barreled would have cost you about the same,difference is the custon action built rifle will be worth more if sold and if built correctly will shoot better due to better tolerences,you obvioulsy havnt come accross and proper built rifle yet as there is a lot of rubbish out there built by barrel plummers with a lathe

Scotch Egg

Down and dirty rifles wear Rifle Basics, if it was a target or varmint a Kelbly, simply because I've lost confidence in Jewell (purely personal )

Think your talking about a 'Huber' which are nice but do not know of.dicstributor in the UK

Terry

PS - SR, do you deliberately set out to be inflamitary ? ;)

the fuss is about having the "best" a proper custom action will cost around £1000,your rifle you had re barreled would have cost you about the same,difference is the custon action built rifle will be worth more if sold and if built correctly will shoot better due to better tolerences,you obvioulsy havnt come accross and proper built rifle yet as there is a lot of rubbish out there built by barrel plummers with a lathe

Part of what you say may be true, but most of it isn't, not to my experience anyway. When a rifle can hold .2, 5 shot groups, I don't think there's much more that can be done to it, custom or commercial, to improve it. Vanity, well yes, but that's another matter. And, I never get a gun on the basis of how much will I get if I sell it. Each to their own, I guess

Part of what you say may be true, but most of it isn't, not to my experience anyway. When a rifle can hold .2, 5 shot groups, I don't think there's much more that can be done to it, custom or commercial, to improve it. Vanity, well yes, but that's another matter. And, I never get a gun on the basis of how much will I get if I sell it. Each to their own, I guess

yep "each to there own" some people do the job right others make do

yep "each to there own" some people do the job right others make do

"right" has many interpretations, some people feel that spending lots is "right" others may think that spending what's necessary is right. The results are only shown in the field and on the target, not the shiny range queen...

"right" has many interpretations, some people feel that spending lots is "right" others may think that spending what's necessary is right. The results are only shown in the field and on the target, not the shiny range queen...

Well said Finman, I agree 100%.

Tony.

quite true thats why spending money to have a factory action trued up to create proper tolerences is a waste of money as you can buy a proper action probably cheaper,then you have something of value as well as good looks

Archived