the nicest custom action

I've been looking closely at a custom actions with the view to ditching the blasers and having 1 stalking rifle, what is reagrded as the "nicest" action for a stalking rifle? any ideas? what would you choose?

nothing to tactical, just "nice" - thinking along the lines of an "ultimate precision rifle" without the full price tag.

any pics/links appreciated and also what makes an action nice?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking closely at a custom actions with the view to ditching the blasers and having 1 stalking rifle, what is reagrded as the "nicest" action for a stalking rifle? any ideas? what would you choose?

nothing to tactical, just "nice" - thinking along the lines of an "ultimate precision rifle" without the full price tag.

Look in the Riflesmith Showcase, actions, stocks, moderators all top quality and British :D

Most custom actions are "nice" it really comes down to what you want to spend. BAT and Borden actions are rated at the top of the pile by most people, but they are priced accordingly. Coming down in price you have the Stillers, JCG, Lawton etc..., then you have Barnards which are excellent actions for the money, but not everyones cup of tea. In Last place comes RPA.

your best value for money will be in the middle ground, as with a hunting rifle sub 1/2 moa is more than adequate and better than most people can consistently shoot anyway. If you want a beautifully smooth, beautifully machined action go for a Bat or Borden, but you won't necessarily see the difference in performance. Its a bit like buying a Tag Heuer watch or a Patek Phillipe, both do the same, one is just more refined. It comes down to your budget, and what you hold important.

.. I also had the opportunity to feel a jewel triger for the first time a few days ago too and I was totally blown away with that too.

Ronny. That can quickly turn into a very expensive experience. Once tried, it's hard to settle to anything else. Regards JCS

Perhaps I'll start a trigger thread when I've decided on an action! Mind you, a blaser trigger is going to be hard to beat...

Have you tried a Jewell ???

I think you will be impressed.

Crawl about for a few days in pouring rain on muddy Scottish hillsides and you may become less impressed when they lock solid.

They're delicate range rifle triggers, not stalking / working rifle triggers.

Have you tried a Jewell ???

I think you will be impressed.

Had one on a Dave Tooley 22-250, did the job well enough, didn't feel it was the trigger that made the rifle what it was.I have friends with very expensive rifles and jewel triggers that turn up to cull does and ask to borrow a Blaser because they are afraid of getting their jewels wet!!!!

Great minds BD!!

:lol: Yup

It'd have a built in rail, integral recoil lug, the bolt would have a wing safety and it'd feed from double stack AW magazines, the bolt would cycle like silk and it'd be epoxy painted stainless :)

Once i tried my first jewell, it was hard to go back. I now have one on every gun as although many triggers are nice, jewell is addictive

Hmm CG unit is FAR nicer...

Personal choice really isnt it :)

The action is from Andreas Schuler in Germany - Link

You can use every stock with a inlet for the Remington 700LA, same with the trigger.

Obtained from this topic http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14560&st=0

I must say I am smitten. However the original link did have full details of the action. It now appears broken.

I have a Russ Gall action on my swift And i am in the process of having a 6.5x47 built on a stolle f class. For ease i would choose a rem 700 clone. You will have much greater choice of stocks and triggers. My next project will be a custom stalking rifle i will be looking at Stolle Grizzly actions, Nesika bay or Borden. All really nice stainless actions. If you want a long action i think Russ has one action left, Pure things of beauty. Once you have used a custom action it is hard to use anything else. The same goes for jewel triggers i have used them for years on foxing/varmint rifles and never had a problem with them. One last thing don't spoil a nice action by putting a shitty mag conversion on it, Much better using something like a nice sunny hills floor plate.

ATB SEAN

Hmm CG unit is FAR nicer...

Personal choice really isnt it :)

The man himself is at Bisley next week, still working on interesting things.B)

Robert Chombart originally designed the modular CG trigger and he will be over for the Imperial next week, he is in his 80's now and still working on new design projects. The Actions he designed were the most sucesful of all fielded at last years world long range championships in Brisbane, from memory he designed something like 6-7 of the Actions used by the top ten shooters and over 50% of the Actions for the top 100 shooters.

Hmm nicest custom action....

Borden Rimrock for me.

What i always find intriguing whenever this subject comes up, is the ideas people have.

Fixed rails, fixed lugs, 3 lug bolts,one piece bolts, etc etc.

However, when these ideas are put into practise....no one wants to pay for them. From having seen and heard all these idea,s and then seen the lack of hard cash following mouth , it kinda stops manufacturers from following peoples whims....which is a shame. Our action now has less variables than it did have.

Fixed rails are just that ...fixed. You cannot change what you have. Fixed lugs are fine, but add a lot of cost to an action. The billet its machined from has to be twice as large, and it then requires different, and more expensive techniques to machine. Adds around £150 to an action. Is it any better than a pinned lug ? It gives .300" more tenon length, thats all. The gun doesn,t shoot any differently. Peoples whims , and what they percieve to be "better" go out the window when it comes to getting their hand in their pocket.

The John Carr action, which is what my action and also the Ratel is, have a rail dowelled on, then held in place by M4 bolts. An idea John and I came up with to make the action more versatile. I proved its versatility just months into its availabilty. A chap i built a 308 for needed more MOA at 1200 yards than the 20 MOA rail he ordered on the action would give. Simple, i sent him a 30 MOA rail in the post, and he bolted it on. The rail goes nowhere on the perfectly fitting dowels.

You could push the rail down onto them, and fit it with one screw, and i,ll bet money it would shoot....the engineering is that good.

We still have a tactical action on the back burner, which has fixed rail , lug and a 3 lug bolt. Will it ever make it into production ? Possibly, but it wouldn,t be cheap.

Hmm nicest custom action....

Borden Rimrock for me.

now thats ticking some boxes - brazed on handle!!! is that "nice"?

What i always find intriguing whenever this subject comes up, is the ideas people have.

Fixed rails, fixed lugs, 3 lug bolts,one piece bolts, etc etc.

However, when these ideas are put into practise....no one wants to pay for them.

? That's a bit of a chicken and egg statement.

If no one in UK makes one like that; people can't buy a UK action of that type!

Surgeon actions sell.

Badger Actions sell.

(& presumably that German action pictured earlier sells).

Fixed rail and recoil lug aren't some out of the box strange Holy Grail idea! :)

"If you build it, they will come" ;)

Archived