Valkyrie F class rifle

This might sound like a silly question but I know next to nothing about F Class.

Why the left side port?

If you imagine that the rifle is sitting on the rest at your right shoulder. You can work the bolt with your right hand whilst loading from the left with your left hand. If the port and bolt are on the same side, then you have to do both operations with one hand. It's quicker, and has found favour for a while now, with most action makers offering it as an option.

To be honest it makes no differnce for F class Mark, but it makes a lot of difference in a 1000 yards Benchrest match, which i can also use it for. The abilty to steer the gun back down the rest whilst opening the bolt with the right hand, and loading it with the left hand, gives a far faster rate of fire, which will aid in getting all five rounds off in the same wind pattern.

To be honest it makes no differnce for F class Mark, but it makes a lot of difference in a 1000 yards Benchrest match, which i can also use it for. The abilty to steer the gun back down the rest whilst opening the bolt with the right hand, and loading it with the left hand, gives a far faster rate of fire, which will aid in getting all five rounds off in the same wind pattern.

Yeah, I understand their usefulness in Benchrest, just didn't see the mileage for F Class, particularly where in the UK I believe they shoot three to a firing point, so you have around 3 minutes between shots.

Ballistol, I understand what you're saying, but a conscientious rifleman will be taking his hand of the bolt to write his notes and plot in his scorebook, so that logic would fall down right there.

Totally agree with you there Dave.

I use a RG Rifles (Lawton Twin Port) in 7WSM and you can pick your condition then shoot through the wind in 1000 BR.

I try and get 5 well placed shots off in 15 seconds, even with the slickest RB RP action I still cant get that quick.

Only down side is you can get a bit carried away with the speed and accuracy goes to pot if you are not careful.

Cheers

Bruce

I see the rational behind left port right bolt for Benchrest, but its not necessary in F Class, even string shooting, you arnt going to fire 15 - 20 rounds in as many seconds, (unlike benchrest where a 5 round string in a settled wind could be done quickly) the longer string of F Class would toast barrels quickly.

One could argue that a twin port action is weaker than a single port, but it will probably be marginal, especially given the thickness of the steel of the action body on most custom actions.

Personally, I prefer right bolt, right port, it leaves me to have my left hand using the rest or squeezing the rear bag.

I have been using right bolt left port for 6 years now in f-class @ 3 to a target or string shooting and I find it’s fantastic, I would never use any other config for f-class now. I don't need to change position as much as I did with a right port action because I feed ammo from the left and my right hand pulls trigger and fills scorecards in, and I can also see whist still in position when I have a round lying in the chamber as a double check so I never have a phantom round loaded.

• 3 weeks later...
Purely out of curiosity.......How much would that stock cost?

Greens me favourite colour...... :D

Just what i was thinking as i am now looking for a new stock for my project and that colour compliments my eyes but it is nice

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived