Valkyrie F class rifle

Here,s the first pics of the new F class/Benchrest action , built up into a rifle.

I built this as a demonstrator. The next actions off the line will be fixed recoil lugs.

This is a long action .284 win , built with a tight toleranced bolt, and is the new, larger diameter bolt, which will handle 338 case cartridges with ease. Its a .750 diameter bolt, and the action is larger in diameter too. It is still Remington footprint however, it just requires the inletting opening out a little. No problem, as everyone will be bedded anyway. Bolt is diamond fluted and the shroud is the coffin lid pattern.

Here,s a shot of the bedding, showing the massive flat pad that mates into the underside of the action, eliminating torque to the action screws.

IMG_1260_crop.jpg

Mine is a right bolt , left port , just for a change. The action is available in ANY configuration.

IMG_1261_crop.jpg

IMG_1266_crop.jpg

IMG_1264_crop.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

The barrel is a 33" parallel Krieger 1 in 8" twist.

Trigger is a Jewel. The barrelled action is bedded forward of the lug to support the huge barrel.

Stock is a McMillan F class , which i have painted in Emerald green candy apple over a marble base, over a black base coat. Then 2 pack laquered.

IMG_1265_crop.jpg

The action has a scalloped 20 MOA base , sat on dowels and screwed down with M4 bolts. Standard side bolt release and tactical bolt handle.

Need to load some ammo now ! :D

Yea lovely Rifle there baldie, The barrel is as long as the one on my Beretta comp clay shooting gun, also how much does that piece of kit weigh 10-12 lbs or so?

Jim

I have yet to weigh it very accuratly Jim.

The individual parts came in around 20LBS. The weight limit is 22lbs.

Lovely

now put it in a proper rest and rear bag and re take the pics....

That bloody bipod offends my eyes on a F (open) gun :)

Another lovely looking rifle Dave. You are the Picasso of the rifle smithing world!.........actually hang on, Picasso's paintings aren't very nice, make that the Monet of the rifle smithing world. ^_^

Good Stuff!

I have always liked how the yanks treat their benchrest/comp rifles like custom choppers, this is definitely a step in the right direction for these shores.

My thoughts exactly Dan. :)

I did a lot of that kind of paintwork in my youth on scooters and harleys, choppers etc. Loved the work, couldn,t hack the lifestyle.

Its lovely to be back with some custom paint in the airbrush again.

that's not a barrel it's a chromed scaffolding tube you mad man , joking aside I had the privilege to handle it yesterday and it feels special ! god bless you dave sorry about that southern muppet yesterday :)

Hi Pba,

there are pillars in there, they just have the slightest smear of devcon over the top of them .

I never bed a rifle without pillars , its a pointless excercise without them.

Hi Pba,

there are pillars in there, they just have the slightest smear of devcon over the top of them .

I never bed a rifle without pillars , its a pointless excercise without them.

Thanks Baldie,

I was wondering allright,

Interesting to see the bedding forward or the recoil lug, I have done the same thing on my 6.5-284 and getting good results.

Took it out with several other guns for test on friday morning. Just loaded ten rounds up with fresh lapua brass, with no prep whatsoever, a cci br2 primer, 51 grains of reloder 17 and a 180 matchking.

Bore sighted it at 100 yards, fired a round to get it somewhere near, then the sighter marked on the target.

Adjusted the sight up a bit, and shot this 5 round group. No break in at all.

Dont think its going to require much in the way of load developement. :D

IMG_1278.jpg

Lovely gun to shoot , and the right bolt left port is just plain fun. :D

Now to fully prep all the brass, make a case length gauge, and then play around a little with the powder and seating depths.

Took it out with several other guns for test on friday morning. Just loaded ten rounds up with fresh lapua brass, with no prep whatsoever, a cci br2 primer, 51 grains of reloder 17 and a 180 matchking.

Bore sighted it at 100 yards, fired a round to get it somewhere near, then the sighter marked on the target.

Adjusted the sight up a bit, and shot this 5 round group. No break in at all.

Dont think its going to require much in the way of load developement. :D

IMG_1278.jpg

Lovely gun to shoot , and the right bolt left port is just plain fun. :D

Now to fully prep all the brass, make a case length gauge, and then play around a little with the powder and seating depths.

Dave,

The right bolt left port seems like a really good idea to me. Do you think it's better than the conventional port as it means you can load with your supporting hand? i quite like the idea of ejection on the left, at least i'd see where the brass lands easier!! :blush:

• 5 months later...

Archived