30. 338 F class gun

dorg

I have been toying with this for a while I am thinking about barrel length and twist rates, would a 34 inch barrel be sensible bearing in mind 100gns of powder and how long can you get a barrel blank. Anyone got any ideas on a single shot action.I know this will be a bruiser to shoot but what the hell.

I have been toying with this for a while I am thinking about barrel length and twist rates, would a 34 inch barrel be sensible bearing in mind 100gns of powder and how long can you get a barrel blank. Anyone got any ideas on a single shot action.I know this will be a bruiser to shoot but what the hell.

I considered the same but went with a 300rum in the end , you won't be disappointed with a 208amax at 3250 fps ! (you might be with 1500rds barrel life life though! )

Decide what bullets you want to use, then build the rifle round them. I personally think you are barking up they wrong tree, but the world needs slightly mad people smile.gif

It has been done before and the guy who did it won the GBFCA League with it. Personally - I would go with 30 inches. Action? Barnard do a suitable one.

Vince

Just had a look at powder capacity between 300 rum and 30, 338, and they seem very similar. What would be the deciding factors between them, is it just cost.

Powder would be circa 90 grains of H1000 or RL 25

Thats over a pound per comp

Brass if you go with a 30 - 338 would be 1.60 a case, before any prep.

Your shoulder will suffer

If you want a calibre that would give you the advantage, if your body and pocket can handle it, go with 7mm/338....

A gunsmith called Kirby Allen has done loads with this calibre in the states (search under 7mm Allen MAgnum)

Action of choice would be a Barnard P for me and a full weight rig... :lol:

Decide what bullets you want to use, then build the rifle round them. I personally think you are barking up they wrong tree, but the world needs slightly mad people smile.gif

Your only mad if your skint ! If you've got money your eccentric !!!

Oh , and with a good comp/moderator you will be surprised how easy they are to shoot , mines a pussycat but the concussion of the compensator when I fit it is a great way to lose friends and alienate people !!!

Why the hell not. :D

Regarding actions, you can now have a Valkyrie with all the specifications and more, no need to put up with an ugly, foreign action.

My F claas action will be up and running this week, finished. Wait for some pics.

I must admit Barnard actions don't do alot for me, I would much prefer to use british. I really do feel we should support british rifle building, but I suppose I am a bit biased. 7mm. 338 now that does sound overbored.

Dorg, JB is at Barton Road for most of our LR meetings and he shoots a 30-338 TRG42, it seems to be very good at blowing up bullets but when he does get it to shoot it a cracker

Dorg, JB is at Barton Road for most of our LR meetings and he shoots a 30-338 TRG42, it seems to be very good at blowing up bullets but when he does get it to shoot it a cracker

Im sure I can conjure up a mod to calm it down so its not anti-social. :)

I have been thinking would I be better having a 300 rum and if its too much gun could I rebarrel it in 7mm wsm or just say sod it and have a 30, 338 and get a second barrel in 338 Lap mag. I just really want a real boomer, but abit cautious about spending big bucks on something a may struggle to resell if I can't get on with it. Ie a single shot lap mag action.

You could always just get a DTA rifle in .338 Lapmag then you could have as many funky calibres as you fancy...... .300/338 7mm/338 etc

Ewen

I have been thinking would I be better having a 300 rum and if its too much gun could I rebarrel it in 7mm wsm or just say sod it and have a 30, 338 and get a second barrel in 338 Lap mag. I just really want a real boomer, but abit cautious about spending big bucks on something a may struggle to resell if I can't get on with it. Ie a single shot lap mag action.

any of these 'big boomers' are taking you into the H.M.E regulations and all that utter nonsense which is going to narrow down your choices for resale?

the 338 is a great round but you can experience problems finding places to shoot it as it is specifically banned on a lot of military ranges (in the range orders) for civilians to use even though it falls in the HME regs or it certainly used to be , this is why i had the 300rum built.

i wouldn't rebarrel a 300rum in the shorter 7mm wsm i would go for the 7mm rum but you will need to reconsider your attitude to barrel life !

what do you mean by too much gun?

I know barrel life is short what would you regard the accurate barrel life of a 300 rum is. I have been told the barrel life on a 7mm wsm f class gun could be as low as 800 rounds.

Who has done your chambering work as I am only up the road from you may be someone local, What barrel/ build are you having.

Who has done your chambering work as I am only up the road from you may be someone local, What barrel/ build are you having.

I had it built by Riflecraft (like all my rifles ) your welcome to pop round and have a butchers at it one evening if you want?

I'm currently on 378rds

wait till berger brings out the 195 grn 7mm hybrid and build a rifle around that ,i think that will be the wining combo ,like a 7-338 norma mag of some sort

or a 7wsm with the same bullet

the 30-338 is a big cannon and is powder hungry and will kick ass in the right hands i was thinking of building one for bad conditions or long range till berger anounced the 195 grn hybrid

i saving my money till then

• 1 month later...

when is berger planning to make this? i spoke to my smith about a 7-338 but i dont know which bullets besides the 185VLD would be usable that would withstand the velocities of the 7/338Lapua. I found mixed views on the velocities attainable with the 185VLD without tearing them apart.

wait till berger brings out the 195 grn 7mm hybrid and build a rifle around that ,i think that will be the wining combo ,like a 7-338 norma mag of some sort

or a 7wsm with the same bullet

the 30-338 is a big cannon and is powder hungry and will kick ass in the right hands i was thinking of building one for bad conditions or long range till berger anounced the 195 grn hybrid

i saving my money till then

I had it built by Riflecraft (like all my rifles ) your welcome to pop round and have a butchers at it one evening if you want?

I'm currently on 378rds

Probably built using JBs reamer :)

He's had folk ringing him up from all over the country asking advice.

If the bullet could reach the target without tearing itself apart it might be quite accurate LOL

MArk

I was talking to JB at Thetford last week, I haven't had a chance to give this much thought since then. but it will come.

I was talking to JB at Thetford last week, I haven't had a chance to give this much thought since then. but it will come.

Sounds interesting Simon, what bullet do you think you would use?

Archived