Taking my Rifle to southern ireland

tulkyuk

Hi All,

Can anybody please tell me about taking my rilfes into southern Ireland - i have been invited over for a bit of foxshooting (may book a days stalking too!!) and would like to take my rifles over, do i need to get special permission for this from the Guarda or do i just need a European firearms licence added to my current licence ???

Has anybody got a decent web link about this ( i've looked everywhere and came up with nowt) or has anybody been over to ireland Stalking etc that has first hand knowalge with taking your rifles over

Any advise would be very helpfull.

Cheers Tulky

Hi All,

Can anybody please tell me about taking my rilfes into southern Ireland - i have been invited over for a bit of foxshooting (may book a days stalking too!!) and would like to take my rifles over, do i need to get special permission for this from the Guarda or do i just need a European firearms licence added to my current licence ???

Has anybody got a decent web link about this ( i've looked everywhere and came up with nowt) or has anybody been over to ireland Stalking etc that has first hand knowalge with taking your rifles over

Any advise would be very helpfull.

Cheers Tulky

hi tulky

you will need a European firearms license, they are free from your firearms office. and then if memory serves me well you will need a temporary firearms license for southern Ireland, and a license to shoot deer as well.

i might be able to get the forms sent to me to apply for the temporary licenses,

all so if you are going on the ferry, you are no longer aloud to take ammunition on board. (best check to see if this is still in force.

O and don't forget your normal license,you will need this to get back into this country.

ATB

Colin :D

Sounds like a big fox shooting adventure is on the cards!?! Hope you get through the red tape alright. Once you have done it all, it would be very useful to have all the up to date info on here too! :D

As col mentioned heard/read somewhere that ammunition on the ferry is a no no and also knifes. Despite having a legitimate reason for possesion the article stated they had to be surrendered and then chased up on the return.

Seems stupid not allowing ammunition which you are already zero'd for and awkward gralloching without a knife.

Begs the question if you bought one whilst there can you legally bring it back? if not what do you do with it?

Just suggesting points to consider and maybe things have changed but worth asking.

Cheers boys - I had heard about the ferries and apparently irish ferries wont even let you take a rifle on board :D

When i get the full ins and outs of the job, i'll put a post up so others get to know exactly what to do.

Hi eldon.

I have been away for the day and have only been back long enough to put my snout in the trough.

Irish Ferries are becoming a pain in the posterior with regard to firearms etc.

Try to find a link to Countryside Alliance, Ireland or perhaps better still contact directly the Ferry you intend to use.

I know there has been some recent hassle making things even worse than they were when I was over in October.

You will need a Euro Firearms Pass, free from your local police here.

Also a rifle permit from the Irish Police of the area you intend to hunt in Ireland. I think this may cost 38 EUROS.

It would be better to get your Irish host to suss it all out for you and get things sorted from that end.

To shoot Deer you will require an Irish hunting licence which can only be obtained after you have presented an original letter of authority from an owner or lease holder.

This licence is free and obtained from the Forest and Wildlife Service, again local contact and info. is preferable.

Another option is to go over unarmed and go out with your friend with him carrying his own firearm and when you come upon your quarry you may find a rifle in your hand which fires and bowls over the game and immediately re-appears in the hand of the owner.

Strange things like this have happened there over the years and here in England also !!!!

Good luck and good hunting.

We had NO problems there with knives, it was our own lot at Holyhead who gave us grief.

If you buy a lock-blade knife over there and are searched at our side you could be in deep fertiliser. [Give it to your friend over there or borrow his.]

HWH.

Its not me who's going stag it is tulkyuk. :rolleyes:

The other aspects of your post just make such trips awkward don't they, what a farce.

Now I think of it, was it you who had to chase a nice fancy knife up on your return? can't remember who wrote the article I was refering to.

Hi guys.

Yes Eldon, I wrote that upon our return to warn people as to what may occur. My friend Bob had the knife problem.

I went over this year mainly for camera work but had access to one of those Magical floating rifles lusted after by Panther.

My own 4 inch lock-blade knife with bone saw was in my bag guarding my camera gear and was not spotted !

HWH.

• 2 weeks later...

I/We have decided not to take the rifles as suggested, apparently there are acouple of these magical rifles in existance in the area where we are going :angry: .

I have got another question for you though boys - it it ok to take a night ision scope over to use as a spotting scope??

I know they are illigal to use for hunting over ther, but can you use it as a spotting scope??

Tulky

Archived