New to the forum.....Hello everyone...........

Guest martin

Hi,my name is Martin and I come from the SouthWest.....Wilts/Somerset border.I have just got my variation agreed for a .243cal and a .22-250cal(which was an after thought to be honest)I thought just as well get two put on the fac as one.I usually shoot rabbits and fox with a rimfire(and,I know some will say ...naughty,but....)I have also ferreted for the last 30+yrs.I have joined a syndicate in the New Forest recently and the Game Dealer is going to be the mentor on my FAC.

I also have a Jack Russel and a 'Mike Brown' Working Whippet pup,that I am bringing on now to be a pot filler.I have spent a while looking through the threads here and I have been very impressed,some people might know me from other forums so if you do hello again.I shall hopefully have something to post soon so see ya later....................martin.

Welcome Martin.

What do you mean "mentor on my FAC"?

Redfox

hi redfox

this mentor job seems to be what some,(not all)police forces are implementing when someone moves up to a deer caliber,in some cases a fox caliber.

basically they ask you to go out with a experienced shot for an undetermined amount of stalks,when the mentor says you are fit to shoot on your own,then the condition is lifted from your license.

its just another way the police are interpreting the home office guide lines.

they seem to be saying you have got to have a mentor,or do your DSC1 your choice

ATB

Colin :D

Guest varmartin

Welcome to the forum Martin,

Near enough all the info you can request can be obtained from this site.

There is a staggering amount of experience , young and old here.

No question is to dumb...so don`t be scared to ask, as it is safer to ask, than guess. :D

hope you enjoy it here..

Martin

Guest 308Panther
hi redfox

this mentor job seems to be what some,(not all)police forces are implementing when someone moves up to a deer caliber,in some cases a fox caliber.

basically they ask you to go out with a experienced shot for an undetermined amount of stalks,when the mentor says you are fit to shoot on your own,then the condition is lifted from your license.

its just another way the police are interpreting the home office guide lines.

they seem to be saying you have got to have a mentor,or do your DSC1 your choice

ATB

Colin :lol:

And it seems like a forced choice rather than a recommandation. :D

Or a suggestion.

Just another form of the Big Guys makin the little guys jump thru hoops.

If a law is a law its one thing but now any police dept is free to write its own laws?

Too bad I cant introduce you to some associates of mine....

Dewey,Screwum and Howe.

308Panther

Welcome Martin

"mentoring"

Hmm, no legal requirement in the Firearms Act,,,,,,,seems like unecessary and undue restriction if you ask me and bang out of order - plus, what if something happens, is the "mentor" responsible, or you?

Redfox and I have discussed this at length and its wrong what some forces are doing - there will be moves to implement madatory testing next.

Yet another monyspinnet for our "shooting organisations" no doubt

Yes welcome to the site , as the others have mentioned there is a wealth of experience on here............ ;):lol:

Enjoy your stay.................

All the best...................

RAY................................................... :D;)

Welcome Martin

"mentoring"

Hmm, no legal requirement in the Firearms Act,,,,,,,seems like unecessary and undue restriction if you ask me and bang out of order - plus, what if something happens, is the "mentor" responsible, or you?

Redfox and I have discussed this at length and its wrong what some forces are doing - there will be moves to implement madatory testing next.

Yet another monyspinnet for our "shooting organisations" no doubt

Hi Ronin,I totally agree with you mate,but,if they insist there isn't a lot you can do without seeming to poke a hornets nest.I could of contacted BASC and asked for their help,but,I think they are almost in favour of it.I know that the owner of A.M.Hobbs gunshop near Bristol,is on the board that lliases with the chief officers and he is definitely for it,and,it was him that said that I would be making things very hard for myself by arguing about it.I am fairly certain that I will get enough days in to make it a quick transition,so maybe sometime before summer,I will be signed off.I do then have some of my own permission that has a fair few Roe and Muntjac on,so I will be happy then..................martin.

p.s. Thankyou all for your welcome.

As ronin says we have talked about it, there is nothing in the firearms act that requires it, more importantly it is illegal for the police force in question to make another member of the public responsible for you and or public safety, so they can not legally do it.

As for BASC, those t$%%&s just see it as an opportunity to grab more money so they are pushing dsc1 and compulsory testing behind the scenes all the time.

It doesnt affect the NRA so they have no interest at all.

I understand as does the Force doing it, that you want your certificate and not to stir things up, but some forces are now wanting to do it for every calibre change, up or down, where does it end?

So who is going to stick up for the Vermin shooter/ Deer stalker? and the law. I dont know at this time, but it needs to happen pretty soon as shooting as we know it will quickly cease to be, now then. isnt that what this government wants, eh?

Guest 308Panther

For Starters...

Your NRA should have a Liar....Oooopss, I mean Lawyer

on retainer.

Find out who he is....Talk to him.

Inform Him/Her/He/She/It whats being done.

It may like to say that there is nothing they can do...

The Police Dept is in the right.

No...Unacceptable Answer.

Remind the Liar that the "mentor process" is

a recommended guideline....It isnt a written

enforceable law.

Police Officers and Chiefs are representitives of the law.

Not the body that makes up the law.

I understand full well the differance between my 2nd Amendment Right

and your "Firearm Priviledges"

Laws are Laws ...and Guidelines are Guidelines.

And Police Chiefs can not turn "guidelines" into "laws"

Thats the Courts Job.

That Chief needs forced into "Retirement"...and "Early" is a real good term

to put in front of retirement,too...along with UnPaid.

Also in the event someone were to get hurt or worse... dead

a real sharp attorney could and should go after the Police Chief too,

as you are only doing what your told.You were operating under his directive(s)

and as such...He is partly at fault.

Point out that to a City Attorney or District Attorney and hopefully they will

realize a lawsuit could cost the city millions....and watch that Chief become

a marionette doll.

For those wondering....

I have alot of respect for LEO's...but the ones that put on a badge to be a bully.

I would love 10 minutes in a dark alley with those types.

308Panther

For Starters...

Your NRA should have a Liar....Oooopss, I mean Lawyer

on retainer.

Find out who he is....Talk to him.

Inform Him/Her/He/She/It whats being done.

It may like to say that there is nothing they can do...

The Police Dept is in the right.

No...Unacceptable Answer.

Remind the Liar that the "mentor process" is

a recommended guideline....It isnt a written

enforceable law.

Police Officers and Chiefs are representitives of the law.

Not the body that makes up the law.

I understand full well the differance between my 2nd Amendment Right

and your "Firearm Priviledges"

Laws are Laws ...and Guidelines are Guidelines.

And Police Chiefs can not turn "guidelines" into "laws"

Thats the Courts Job.

That Chief needs forced into "Retirement"...and "Early" is a real good term

to put in front of retirement,too...along with UnPaid.

Also in the event someone were to get hurt or worse... dead

a real sharp attorney could and should go after the Police Chief too,

as you are only doing what your told.You were operating under his directive(s)

and as such...He is partly at fault.

Point out that to a City Attorney or District Attorney and hopefully they will

realize a lawsuit could cost the city millions....and watch that Chief become

a marionette doll.

For those wondering....

I have alot of respect for LEO's...but the ones that put on a badge to be a bully.

I would love 10 minutes in a dark alley with those types.

308Panther

I agree wholeheartedly 308Panther,even down to the 'Dark Alley' bit! But,if for arguements sake,it went to a court scenario and,It was found in my favour,there are endless ways for the FAO to make my life hell.For instance,I think I'm right in saying that,there is no legislation on when you are awarded an open ticket.He could just not award one,so every time I wanted to shoot somewhere that isn't on their list,I would have to get their permission,and,that could entail them going out to walk the land.This would all take time,and hassle for me.And,I'm sure there are plenty of other scenario's such as future variations/renewals etc... that could be at least drawn right out,to make things very awkward for me.It does beggar belief that the shooting bodies haven't got their act together,and sorted this,but,hey as so many organisations they are only after your money.........................martin.

p.s. I am certain that it won't be long and this will become law,rather than a guideline.

I agree wholeheartedly 308Panther,even down to the 'Dark Alley' bit! But,if for arguements sake,it went to a court scenario and,It was found in my favour,there are endless ways for the FAO to make my life hell.For instance,I think I'm right in saying that,there is no legislation on when you are awarded an open ticket.He could just not award one,so every time I wanted to shoot somewhere that isn't on their list,I would have to get their permission,and,that could entail them going out to walk the land.This would all take time,and hassle for me.And,I'm sure there are plenty of other scenario's such as future variations/renewals etc... that could be at least drawn right out,to make things very awkward for me.It does beggar belief that the shooting bodies haven't got their act together,and sorted this,but,hey as so many organisations they are only after your money.........................martin.

p.s. I am certain that it won't be long and this will become law,rather than a guideline.

hi

i have read that they are now making you do the 5 years with closed ticket, but i was all so told if you do your DSC1 this will get you your open ticket, as it is proof that you new how to angle a rifle safely on the day of the test,

i all so know of one force that issued a open ticket but stipulated the person had to pass his DSC 2 as soon as possible and before xxx date,(i can not remember the exact wording) but it went something like that.

if you read the home office guide lines then you will see by the title they are just that guide lines, and the police can introduce just what they like. guide lines don't you just love that term :rolleyes::D

ATB

Colin :(

Archived