6.5x47 or 260 rem

6x47 lapua

hear we go again what would you rather have

6.5x47 or 260 rem for a all round gun

semmy or full custom

Cheers Stu

the 260 has slightly better performance but the 6.5x47 is apparently slightly more accurate ? you can get lapua brass for the 260 now and if your having a custom made then either should shoot well ?

ultimatly the target, be that deer/vermin/paper/steel will not notice the difference !

i use a 260 and once it's shot out it will be rebarreled in 260 again , does that answer your question?

R

the 260 has slightly better performance but the 6.5x47 is apparently slightly more accurate ? you can get lapua brass for the 260 now and if your having a custom made then either should shoot well ?

ultimatly the target, be that deer/vermin/paper/steel will not notice the difference !

i use a 260 and once it's shot out it will be rebarreled in 260 again , does that answer your question?

R

Big +1 on the 260 ...Luv it!

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Is a good examination of this issue. I am on my third 260 Rem, and starting to plot the next 260 Rem barrel for it.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/Member%20Galleries/p2948-Remington%20700%20SA%20in%20260%20Rem.html

Regards JCS

Either or will work.

I went with the 47 as, at the time, you could only get Rem brass for the .260, but if I was doing it again I'd probably still go for the 47, very accurate (records being set with it: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/04/erik-cortina-breaks-300-yard-f-class-record-with-6-5x47-lapua/ ) and I've not seen anyone's data that demonstrates the .260 showing the 47 a clean pair of heals in the barrel lengths I use (25" ish) even with heavier bullets - my 47 runs the 139 Scanars comfortably at 2840.

Also, which is important to me, you can get more 47's on an aeroplane than you can a 260.

But this is all personnal stuff.

End of the day each of the cartridges will be better than you :lol:

Terry

you won't be disapointed with either ? like terry says neither will show the other a significantly clean pair of heels in similar barrel lengths (the 260 may just with extra long barrels but the gain isn't worth it)

stop worrying ,pick one , build it,get some trigger time!

Yep, the Creedmoor is the compromise between the two previously mentioned cartridges.

Hardly a Compromise between the two, Alternative would be a better way of putting it.

You say tomato, I say tomatoe...

When looking at the neck length and case capacity, the Creedmoor is a compromise. Almost the same case capacity of the .260, but retaining a much longer neck like the 6.5x47mm. As the saying here in the States goes, "The Creedmoor is what the .260 should have been." All things being equal, it is just an alternative; but seldom are things equal. The CM has available match grade ammunition and components. Until recently, the .260 was plagued by bad or unavailable brass (not so these days), and ammo was usually hunting style ammunition. If one reloads, then the.260 is indeed a fine cartridge (as is the 6.5x47mm), but for those that wish to compete, and do not reload, the Creedmoor (at least here) generally gets the nod. Also, since it supposedly uses standard H-4350 powder, the load can be reproduced by handloaders to mimic commercially available ammunition.

The 6.5x47mm has the small rifle primer based case, which (in theory) should increase the strength of the case head, allowing warmer loads without opening up the primer pockets. But, this comes with a price; some actions will require firing pin hole bushing (a well noted and often encountered issue).

I will say, in all fairness and honesty, I am biased, as I have a Creedmoor (everyone's biased by what they have; generally speaking). Of course it makes sense to me to have a 6.5CM, Creedmoor Sports is 25mins down the road, and brass, components and ammo are a short drive away.

As most have said, on paper or in the field, most will never be able to tell the difference...

Archived