Vihtavouri factory announcement

londonhunter

Hi folks

Just been told that vit / lapua is going to make an announcement around the end of June to close the whole Powder manufacturing operation down in December 2012. Souce is reliable and not speculation. I am told this is entirely due to reduce demand and order from the military. Very sad.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling that the Vihtavuori manufacture is already very limited and mostly for military use and that a lot of the Viht powders we use are out sourced.

Hi folks

Just been told that vit / lapua is going to make an announcement around the end of June to close the whole Powder manufacturing operation down in December 2012. Souce is reliable and not speculation. I am told this is entirely due to reduce demand and order from the military. Very sad.....

Very sad? It's a disaster! My 260 loves N560 and I'm down to my last 15kg's of it!!!

Kynamco at Mildenhall will be gutted, they use almost exclusively Vit powders. About a container full every 6 months!

I too use almost exclusively Vit powders, this is going to be a real PITA

I wonder if they would sell the business to a toll manufacturer or other manufacturer

Mark

Bloody hell I hope not....I use VV almost exclusively... It works...Its available.....its cheaper than buying in 1 lb cartons

Hi folks

What's the source of this info?

:mad: Just starting to try to wean my 6.5x284 off it's regular diet of H4831sc and onto Vit thinking that the way things are going in the US powder might be in short supply - Ah well - better think about Vectan.

Hi,

HPS have just started selling a couple of powders suitable for precision rifles and that duplicate popular Vit. propellants. One is called TR 140 and has a picture of the Bisley clock tower on the label!

Alan

Hi,

HPS have just started selling a couple of powders suitable for precision rifles and that duplicate populat Vit. propellants. One is called TR 140 and has a picture of the Bisley clock tower on the label!

Alan

Alan, what sort of price is it? (do they claim / imply that something called 140 is fromthe same plant that manufactures Viht 140?)

TR140 is working very well for some of the F/TR and TR shooters in .308, it also works very nicely with .303 and I have just started testing it with .223 and the 73 grain Bergers and I am pleased so far. It is a fair bit cheaper than N140 as well. Also the same outlet has something called Elcho 17 which is Alliant Reloder 17.

I have the factory load data for TR140 and .308 if anyone wants to take a look.

TR140 is working very well for some of the F/TR and TR shooters in .308, it also works very nicely with .303 and I have just started testing it with .223 and the 73 grain Bergers and I am pleased so far. It is a fair bit cheaper than N140 as well. Also the same outlet has something called Elcho 17 which is Alliant Reloder 17.

David, is it literally n140 in a different tub - or something similar to n140?

it is very close to the same. TR140 is Swiss made by NitroChemie. Details here:

TR140

Cost wise it can be found for GBP50-55/Kg

This opens an interesting can of worms regarding peoples preconceptions of the source and manufacturer of many powders.

Thanks Dave!

Some might find this interesting, in fact a bit of an eye opener, just take a look at the names of the powders and the sources

CE Examination of propellants

TR140 is actually NitroChemie WLP 220 (P-Code 0254) The document says Das Treibladungspulver WLP 220 (P-Code 0254) kann auch unter dem Handelsnamen TR140 vertrieben werden. So WLP can also be sold as TR140

Some might find this interesting, in fact a bit of an eye opener, just take a look at the names of the powders and the sources

TR140 is actually NitroChemie WLP 220 (P-Code 0254) The document says Das Treibladungspulver WLP 220 (P-Code 0254) kann auch unter dem Handelsnamen TR140 vertrieben werden. So WLP can also be sold as TR140

It's always been the same with companies 'swapping' powders to avoid manufacturing a complete range. For example, one of the ADI (Australian Defence Industries) powders is sold as Mulwex in Asia and Hodgdon 4895 in the USA and Europe,

Alan

I'm surfing on a poor mobile signal; do you have a similar document listing the Viht 140 manufacturer (guessing it's not nitrochemie due to wlp 220 only having tr140 listed as an alternative name )?

Hi,

HPS have just started selling a couple of powders suitable for precision rifles and that duplicate popular Vit. propellants. One is called TR 140 and has a picture of the Bisley clock tower on the label!

Alan

Alan, I've had a brief look on HPS's site and but couldn't find any information, can you help.

Thanks

Steve

Archived