22lr scope

6.5shooter

Hi gents,

I need a good quality scope for my 22lr.

Thing is, I need it to parallax adjust down to 25 yards or so,

Most scopes with quality glass only parallax adjust down to 50-75 yards.

My usefor the rifle is any thing from lamping rabbits to trying to hit clays at silly ranges for a 22lr so its a good scope im after and not a typical airgun, rimfire scope.

Been looking at a leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR scope Which parallax adjusts down to 10 yards which is perfect although I think the 40 mm obj lense may be a bit small but maybe its ok?

Anyone got one of theese scopes and how do you rate it?

Anyone got anyother scope suggestions without spending over a grand?

I have a couple of Bushnell 6500 elite scopes one is 2.5-16/50 and the other is the 5-30/50, I think both will paralex from 10yards plus, I have used the smaller one on a .22 and it works very well, both these scopes are also very very good when linked to an Archer NV unit. I have used the Leupolds as well and I feel these are just a tad better.

Regards

I had that exact EFR Leupold but I'd consider that as unnecessary overkill for a rimfire. The eye relief is pretty fussy above 15-16X which is really the very max you'd ever consider on a rimfire anyway.

A decent brand 4-12x40 or 4.5-14x40 AO would be what I'd consider from what you're describing

Chris-NZ

I had that exact EFR Leupold but I'd consider that as unnecessary overkill for a rimfire. The eye relief is pretty fussy above 15-16X which is really the very max you'd ever consider on a rimfire anyway.

A decent brand 4-12x40 or 4.5-14x40 AO would be what I'd consider from what you're describing

Chris-NZ

Chris,

You may be right about the eye relief, I have heard a few people mentioning this factor regarding eye relief on leupolds.

I have a couple of Bushnell 6500 elite scopes one is 2.5-16/50 and the other is the 5-30/50, I think both will paralex from 10yards plus, I have used the smaller one on a .22 and it works very well, both these scopes are also very very good when linked to an Archer NV unit. I have used the Leupolds as well and I feel these are just a tad better.

Regards

Hi 223,

Thanks for the input, how does the glass compare to a leupold and is it good enough at low light and lamping?

Has youres got target turrets? Just wondering if they track ok? Must look them up and read abit more about them.

Thanks

I use this exact scope on my 22LR, but I sent it back to Leupold to have them install some M1 'knobs' which makes all the difference, thus:

close.jpg

Found it spot on for precision work on the 22LR as our club runs a 100m 'for score' comp each year and I shoot it for fun at 200 yards on range days. 20x is too much for the field, but enough for off the bench/precision. You simply turn it down for field work. Glass is on par with other Leupolds i.e. OK

I used a 20moa rail on my rifle to make use of the adjustments, will get to 300 yards with match velocity ammo (winds a bit of a problem though :lol: )

For what you say you want to use if for It would do just fine, but the Bushnells are nice, pehaps the 'tactical' modles to have external adjustments - which is essential for your needs IMHO.

Brgds Terry

Hi 223,

Thanks for the input, how does the glass compare to a leupold and is it good enough at low light and lamping?

Has youres got target turrets? Just wondering if they track ok? Must look them up and read abit more about them.

Thanks

The Glass is very good I would say better than Leupold, both the Leupold and Bushnell are popular with the add on NV boys such as Archer add ons, no tactical turrets on mine but they are now avaliable with turrets, its a personal thing but for me the Bushnells 6500 do the job well, especially the 4.5-30 it gives me the low down mag for the add on and the high mag for lamping, only surplus to requirements as I have just aqquired a longbow scope, I will keep one to go on the .17 HMR.

Good Hunting

Terry I like youre setup!

Where did you get the 20moa pic rail for youre anschutz?

Im using a 1710 dhb that is being sent over to staffordshire synthetics atm to have an a3-5 stock fitted.

I still havent decided on a scope, bushnell or leupold, bushnell or leupold. Aaaaaa decisions.

I ask myself, do I really need to dial in on a .22, would a decent reticle with enough markings just not do?

I cant decide.

Garry

Gary,

This bunch do a slew of kit for various 22LR's: http://www.diproductsinc.com/default.aspx?PAGE=Main Page

and while you'r at it get some decent stock screws from this lot :) : https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php

As to dialing, you said originally you'd be using the rifle for game and targets at 'silly ranges' (which to me is up to 200 yards with a 22), this gives a span of 25-200yards.

Unless you're going to buy a good FFP zoom then holding over using the ret. is not going to work very well. SFP scopes ret's only 'hold good' a certain magnifications. Your best bet finacially is to have a scope with nice positive external adjustments, not a scope where to have to take caps off and fiddley target knobs.

There are some nice scopes aimed at the air rifle market that would work, but they sometimes have knobs and turrets that look like they were designed after a North Sea supply boat capstan :lol:

Brgds Terry

Hi Gary,

the glass on the 6500 is better than the Leupold,I've had both. You can usually get a silly discount deal on a Bushnell if you trawl the net enough.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for the links Terry! Some nice trick bits there!

It says however that they dont ship internationally, just sent them an email to see if they would or how I could get hold of some stuff.

Will do a bit more research Re scopes before I make any rash decisions.

Regards

Garry

Hi Gary,

the glass on the 6500 is better than the Leupold,I've had both. You can usually get a silly discount deal on a Bushnell if you trawl the net enough.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike!

The bushnell is top choice at the mo unless I can come across another like as Terry suggested maybe a good airrifle hft scope or sumthing without spending silly pounds.

Garry

Gary,

Picked up this new toy last week, what a cracking bit of kit and Gary Costello is one proper gent to deal with!

IMAG0324.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

This focuses down to 10yds, but just outside the 1k bracket I'm afraid!!

atb

Mike

It's the 2.5-25x42 Tactical. 12.5"long, 21oz and glass like you wouldn't believe! Comes with a 3" sunshade which I've since fitted to make the scope look bigger!

Mike

Archived