Lapua scenars

shrek

Hi guys, ive just started loading lapua 155gr scenars in my 308. Im using lapua brass and Viht N150, however im working up through the loads stated in the Vihtavuori reloading guide and the accurate load which is also the maximum load is not stated as a compressed load but the maximum overall length is not stated and im compressing at 45grains when the accurate load is 46.8grain, can anyone tell me the minimum safe seating depth that i can use with this load??

Fee Fee Darling...... :rolleyes:

Check the top of the data book....it should be there dear heart, but l'll take a look elsewhere 4 you.... now pull those gum boots on and drag that filthy foreign fekr to the marsh and get him wet/moist/wotever you do 2 get your giggles up there...

ATB.

Ratwhiskers.

Rite U fekwit....

column 3 is split into 2 groups.... 1 in mm's the other in inch's for C.O.L of loaded round

lt's back to the marsh 4 you mate, that's where you're safest Fee Fee :rolleyes:

2.810"...............tell me your bbl length and twist and I will tell you what speed you need to send em and what charge to use to match your twist for accuracy

2.810"...............tell me your bbl length and twist and I will tell you what speed you need to send em and what charge to use to match your twist for accuracy

Ratty... i Thought C.O.L meant Case overall length not including the bullet, just incase they needed trimming??? jam doughnut knows

Silentsoulsleave308holes... its a 24 inch barrel not atually sure on twist, ratty reconed it would be between 12 and 14 inch per twist, need to work that one out!!

Ratty... i Thought C.O.L meant Case overall length not including the bullet, just incase they needed trimming??? jam doughnut knows

Silentsoulsleave308holes... its a 24 inch barrel not atually sure on twist, ratty reconed it would be between 12 and 14 inch per twist, need to work that one out!!

have you got a cleaning rod?????

put a snug patch down bore a tiny way, mark a dot with a marker pen at top of rod at handle end and one at top of rod at the bore guide end

now push rod down bore making the handle end dot do one full turn and mark at bore guid end again

push patch out, measure between the two dots you made at bore guide end, if its say ten inches then you have a 1 in 10 twist

let me know how you get on as I will need this to calculate the speed you need to run the boooooolets

have you got a cleaning rod?????

put a snug patch down bore a tiny way, mark a dot with a marker pen at top of rod at handle end and one at top of rod at the bore guide end

now push rod down bore making the handle end dot do one full turn and mark at bore guid end again

push patch out, measure between the two dots you made at bore guide end, if its say ten inches then you have a 1 in 10 twist

let me know how you get on as I will need this to calculate the speed you need to run the boooooolets

Its a 14 inch to 1 twist in the barrel, finally found my write on all pen so i could mark the rod!!

ok this is simple as this is the same twist as my 7.62 and a clone for radway green target but a lot more accurate providing you do your part is

44gr varget cc br primer or 43.7 with fed gold medal match seat at 2.810 to get 2650 fps

dont bother seating longer as this load is proven in many guns and scenars dont mind jumping

this has also proved itself at extended ranges of over 1k (1200)

the perfect booooolet for the 14 twist is 155 and that twist is a little fussy of any other weight

any probs let me know and I will pm you my number

case fill is about 99%

I will have a look at the vit charge tomorrow eve but you will want to run them between 2550 and 2650(2650 pref)

Cheers for that, i tried the varget load thismornin, however due to the availability of components at the moment iv had to use bog standard CCI 200 primers which could of affected my group which was clover leafing at 100yards, also a 41 grain load of N150 is lookin promicing with about a half inch group in a vertical group so ive uped the powder by 0.2 and 0.5 and will try those, the only worry iv got is that this "lighter" load may not be pushing them quick enough to keep stable up to the glorious 1000yard mark, as i havent got the availability of a chrono at the moment i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

Cheers for that, i tried the varget load thismornin, however due to the availability of components at the moment iv had to use bog standard CCI 200 primers which could of affected my group which was clover leafing at 100yards, also a 41 grain load of N150 is lookin promicing with about a half inch group in a vertical group so ive uped the powder by 0.2 and 0.5 and will try those, the only worry iv got is that this "lighter" load may not be pushing them quick enough to keep stable up to the glorious 1000yard mark, as i havent got the availability of a chrono at the moment i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

just realised i was signed in as winston when i wrote and posted that last message sorry to cause any confusion!

Shrek.

Listen to S'S'308H...He da' man.... RG clone, now that's useful to know!!

lf you don't get the results you're lookin' for mate, l'll donate a box of 210M's or STD's (oh the agony) and some N140 that should get you flyin'.

Just remember what you were told..... if you're bagged right and it's vertical , then kick it up the arse a bit more :) Just watch 4 pressure.....

l'll have a word with Uncle Stag to see if we can borrow his chrono, and get you on the range in the new year.

ATB.

Ratty.

Shrek.

Listen to S'S'308H...He da' man.... RG clone, now that's useful to know!!

lf you don't get the results you're lookin' for mate, l'll donate a box of 210M's or STD's (oh the agony) and some N140 that should get you flyin'.

Just remember what you were told..... if you're bagged right and it's vertical , then kick it up the arse a bit more :) Just watch 4 pressure.....

l'll have a word with Uncle Stag to see if we can borrow his chrono, and get you on the range in the new year.

ATB.

Ratty.

Your a life saver!!

as for pressure... aint even had flattened primers yet to 45grains!, and i still dont see how it is physically possible to fit in 46.8 grains at the maximum seating depth stated without compressin the loads as the bullet was sitting tight on 45 grains, very confuddled!!

Shrek.

Don't take flattened primers as the only sign of pressure mate..... watch your bolt lift and case stretch. My 7-08 130# load starts to move the primers (Fed' 210std) and l'm no where near top load and the bolt moves smoother than a naughty girls knickers :) Rem 9 1/2's have a harder cup and will not show as much deformity and l don't know where your CCl's sit in that equation

Re Case Fill:

Just try this.... fill a case with the top load, but don't seat a round. Now put your thumb over the case mouth and give it a few gentle shakes and a tap or two on the bench and then see how it's settled in the case, you may be surprised/or not. l've never loaded anything near "compressed".... just never got that far before accuracy made it there first... hope you get the same.

Ratty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I find that the Lapua Scenar 155 likes a jump of .020 in my girlfriends 308, constantly hits middle of v bull at 600yds give or take a bit of missed wind reading

that's loaded in Lapua brass federal match 210 primers and 46gr N140 running about 2950 out of a 26" barrel, will easily have space for 47gr of powder, but doesnt need it, due to the extra case capacity fro loading out to the lands

the most accurate isn't always the fastest

there are lots and lots of variables when reloading and what works in one rifle will undoubtedly not work in the next rifle even if it is the same make and model so the best bet is if you can take your loading set up down to the range and have a play on site as loading loads of three shot batches at home doesnt always work, I know thats how I used to do it,

the powder charge is the one thing that people get hung up on and it is the one thing that you have the most leeway with regarding accuracy concentrate on build quality and consistency

I would recommend that you get( if you haven't already) a flash hole deburrer tool, and a primer pocket uniformer and these will go a long way to sorting consistency between rounds.

needless to say this list goes on as far as equipment goes but both of those are relatively cheap and a good starting point

good luck and happy loading

Ian

If anyone wants some 155g Scenars, there are some for sale in the ads section :D

Archived