Fantastic new permission

David Hancock

I recently drove past a garden centre near my new home and bought some plants as an excuse to speak to the new owner about the hoards of rabbits I had seen alongside the adjoining. "No I don't have problems with rabbits was the response". I left my "Vermin control" card with my number on it anyway.

A couple of weeks later, I popped over and bought some plants and said hello. No mention of the flop eared Acer eaters.

4 weeks, nothing, then a call. "David, HELP, I have been invaded by rabbits can you come over"?. After a walk around the 12 acres pointing out breaks in the fences doing my best "Oh I don't like the look of that" rogue builder impression, I had a new shoot, 10 minutes drive from home BUT, a woodyard, huge pile of chipped wood, solid dumps and a wood. Bunny paradise fed in from three sides.

The HMR is too much but I had forgotten just how much fun could be had through stalking with the HW 100 .177, and just how effective the Rangemaster pellets are.

An hour and a half on Monday evening, 20 shots, 20 rabbits. Apart from lots of cover and rests, the best bit is the security lights which remove the need for a lamp in one area.

Just goes to show. Our back garden looks fantastic and the missus loves it !!!!!!

If you dont ask you dont get chaps the worst that can happen is they say NO, ive used plenty of excuses in the past to go up to a land owners door. good shooting aswel used to love stalking rabbits with my air rifles but sold them now, miss them abit sometimes handy round farm buildings ect ;)

Archived