Bullet drop charts for Sightron

I got rained off last week so, inspired by Brown Dogs BDC wraps for the PM2s, I sat down at the computer and made myself up some charts to stick on the turrets of my Sightron scopes.

I got a new 6-24 recently and have several times got lost (I am easily confused under pressure) in the 7 turns and 100mins of elevation while dialing long ranges. So I felt compelled to simplify things as there is no zero stop on these scopes.

My chart covers the elevation turret with a new moa chart and 50yd range increments out to 1200yds. The attached picture shows the elevation set to 1000yds which for my load is 36.5moa. I cant believe how easy it makes dialing in and wish I had done this years ago. As BD says its FAST!!!

I have made them up for both the tactical turret and the target type with the screw on covers.

Took lots of faffing about to get them to fit but they are now saved safely on my computer.

Rup

2012-05-20160142.jpg

I also get easily confused with the multiple turn turrets, especially as I am used to a S&B PMII with a mechanical zero of just one click under 100m. On my Nightforce I machined a ring to act as a physical stop to go under the turret. I set the drum to my zero and measured the gap under the drum to the body then machined a spacer ring out of aluminium. Unscrew the drum, drop the spacer which is really just a very fine ring over the inner drum, and fit the turret again, it took me a couple of goes with some very fine wet and dry to fine tune it to a couple of clicks under my 200m zero. Now I know that when I screw the drum down and it stops it is just a tad under my chosen zero.

It is fair to say it has not stopped me turning my windage drum the wrong way in the past....:wacko:

It is fair to say it has not stopped me turning my windage drum the wrong way in the past....:wacko:

I really like the idea of a collar made up as a zero stop. Anything that makes adjusting a scope easier or more simple has to be a good thing.

Turn it left, right. What, left then right? No just left. Which left? The right one of course!

Sorry..........

I really like the idea of a collar made up as a zero stop. Anything that makes adjusting a scope easier or more simple has to be a good thing.

Bizarrely topical - I've just this minute finished updating my wraps for CZ week after next (you'll see I've gone for functional over aesthetic :lol: )

P1010123850x568.jpg

The only way I seem able to reduce brainfart left and right dialling errors is to colour code port and starboard

- wind on the port side, red numbers; wind on starboard -green numbers

P1010126708x850.jpg

I did the same for my Bushnell, best, fastest, way to keep ballistic info by a mile I think, it shortens the process to a direct range->firing solution, why faff around with mils etc in the middle?

I'm hopefully just about to swap the Bushnell for a Sightron though, I may be in touch!

is there software out there that gives distance to click output, stuff i have only has clicks to distance output, if tha makes sense.

would like to produce label for my scope with exact distance to achch click... same as brown dogs.

cheers

is there software out there that gives distance to click output, stuff i have only has clicks to distance output, if tha makes sense.

would like to produce label for my scope with exact distance to achch click... same as brown dogs.

cheers

What brand of scope and click value are you on?

The only way to make a chart exactly Gary is to shoot your rifle at various distances (known distances) on the same day, (same temp, humidity, elevation, etc) then send data to BD for a chart, you can then make a sheet to cover the turret at known distances like the ones posted.

its a nightforce 8-32x56 1/4 moa clicks, due to arrive tomorrow!!

Gary, sorry can't help you with a wrap for a vernier turret, I think a couple of fellows on here knocked them up for NFs.

If you want a wrap, I need to know if your sightron has tactical knobs or target type with the screw on dust caps. They have different circumferences.

I can produce a wrap marked with distances from your bullets ballistic coefficient and velocity BUT that doesn't allow for exaggerated manufacturers bc claims, inaccurate chronographs and subtle variations in your scopes click values,not to mention atmospheric conditions, so could be a long way out. I have seen Brown Dogs charts and thoroughly recommend them for BDC data.

Once you have a proven data set for that bullet/scope/conditions, I can work from that.

I would normally produce a drop chart with average atmospheric conditions.

Variables can be applied when/if needed.

Rup

• 1 month later...

These wraps are excellent! Rup sent me a few to try. An elevation wrap matching my 17 Rem drop and a generic windage wrap. The windage wrap is on my 8-32 for the 6.5x47 and elevation was made for my 6-24 SIII on my 17 Rem for quick elevation dialling on vermin out to 450yds. I found the windage wrap on the 6.5 excellent. The S3 counts to 15 MOA in one direction which I find very annoying so I stuck on labels to meet in the middle (at 7.5).  This was greatly floored as I pushed out the range on windy days as an excess of half a revolution (7.5MOA) is often required. With the added windage wrap that counts a full revolution both ways I was easily able to keep track of my windage dialling and did not get lost despite up to 12 MOA being required. 

I've only had 2 shots to test the elevation turret wrap on my 17. One was a rabbit at 330yds that I shot from the truck and it was very quick to adjust after ranging it. I will report back in more detail once I've used it more.

Many thanks Rup and keep up the good work. 

Regards

Si

Guest richness

Big fan of improving the little things to make big differences.

Oaken I'll be in touch re my S3 tactical 6-24 for both dope and your much more sensible windage turrets markings that count both ways properly (one of the things i like best on my IORs)

Good luck to you sir

Richard

Guest richness

Grand, will do thanks.

Was using Si's at the weekend and they come thoroughly recommended

I'll PM you details shortly mate

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

I use an old copy of Adobe Pagemaker and input the data manually.

The hardest part is getting the scale right so they fit exactly!

I considered doing them for other scopes but I really can't be ar*ed to set the whole thing up for different sized turrets.

Rup

• 3 months later...

Archived