budget fullbore scopes

Mash67

As per the topic

i'm looking for a cheaper or realy budget scope to service a fullbore rifle for a time,i have schmidt etc on other rifles but at the mo just want something servicable that wont fall to bits in the 200 to 400 pound range

what suggestions of manufacturers and lines does anyone have

thanks

Matt

Hi,

I've been supplying MTC scopes for a while, no quality issues or customer concerns. They appear to be one of the better budget scopes. They are made in Japan, not China,

Alan

As per the topic

i'm looking for a cheaper or realy budget scope to service a fullbore rifle for a time,i have schmidt etc on other rifles but at the mo just want something servicable that wont fall to bits in the 200 to 400 pound range

what suggestions of manufacturers and lines does anyone have

thanks

Matt

Matt, I always think that £200 - £400 is a dangerous area for a scope - almost certainly Chinese manufacture and well over priced. Why not spend £105 on one of Fox Firearms 10-40 ZOS scopes - they are plenty good enough for 100 - 1000 yard shooting. Lot's of our new shooters use them until they can afford something decent. If it falls apart - and very few do - Foxy will give you another.

You can read a review in last October's (I think) Target Shooter www.targetshooteronline.com

Vince

i agree totally with vince.foxys scopes are really good and dont look cheap and cheerful.i was going to buy on to put on a f-class rifle until i managed to "steal" a nightforce of some one.

if you take a look at foxys scopes yopu will be pleasantly surprised by the quality.

I imported scopes from Xinde Optics in China for two years, as long as you give them a specification to work to the quality is pretty good. I understand the Fox scopes are very similar.......dont knock them till you have tried them. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Colin

Hiya Vince,

I respect your opinions on shooting very much as I know your a very highly regarded shooter on the national stage, BUT....Have you ever used an MTC scope ??? If your comment is aimed at MTC scopes I am surprised because I have never known anyone who has actually owned one to complain about them. I have been using mine for a while on a few different rifles and it works surprising well for a £300 scope. Obviously it doesn't perform as well as my Schmidt, Nightforce, or Zeiss did, but the MTC is a £300 scope.

For £300 the MTC is great value for money.

Ronny,

I'm not in any way rubbishing the MTC - and no - I haven't used one.

But, when you go over to the IWA Show in Germany and speak to the Chinese scope manufacturers and discuss their trade prices, it makes me wince to see what some dealers are charging for Chinese scopes.

Foxy's ZOS scopes are fairly priced at about £105. The design is quite distinctive and I've seen the same thing - with a different logo - selling for three times the price!

OK if you can get it but I don't like to see anyone ripped-off.

Vince

I think I'd trust Vince's judgement on that.

I've seen FOB prices on other Chinese goods and they aren't very closely related to the retail..

How the Chinese can cover the materials cost on some of this stuff is amazing, even if the labour is super cheap.

Chris-NZ

I brought one of the Fox scopes a couple of years ago a 6-24X50, I have found it fine for my use, I am a stalker rather that a target shooter so I have only used it for informal long range plinking, err well long range for me that is :blink: . I have found 100% reliable, my only criticism is that above about 18 power the quality of the glass is found wanting compared to the German scopes I have, S&B, Swavo, Ziess, but then it cost at least a 10th to 20th the cost of them.

ATB

B-b

Regarding the MTC Viper scopes I've had issues them, going back about 6 - 7 years ago mind you. First scope I got the turrets broke, second replacement failed to focus and was replaced, third scope sheared off where the bell joins the tube after a very slight knock. The UK MTC dealers wouldn't replace it or give me a refund. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from replaced it with a Bushnell. Everyone I've heard mention them since has said good things but for me I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole.

Look at the Falcon line up, I've used the 4-14 / 5.5x25 FFP's and the 10x on everything up to .300 win mag - glass is not bad and the turrets are repeatable. (I just got the 10x and am quite impressed, have shot it out to 1000 and its done extremely well). The little Bushnell Elite 10x40 is worth a mention too. Just realise that with scopes you very much get what you pay for, its not going to be a Nightforce or Schmidt. That's not to say it can't or shouldn't be fit for purpose though.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has their own opinions about scopes, always best to have a look for yourself.

I have had 5 different MTC scopes and have only had a problem with one which they replaced for a brand new one, it took a little while but was very straight forward. The best of the bunch was the Genesis I have just sold for £260 and that is where my money would go again at around that price point.

Personally I hate Leupold,I think the glass is well over-rated and their customer service sucks as well, I have had 4 of their products and 3 of them have had to go back at some stage, others seem to love them though.

I tryed a mtc I appreciate the price point but if you are using other quality scopes on different rifles it won't stay with you long! I'm sorry but bottom line us you get what you pay for same as most things in life!

Archived